Squib

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Squib

Postby BlackEagl on Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:58 pm

Well, I got me my first squib on friday.. I was shooting my .380, and instead of a bang, I got a pfft..
Dropped the mag, locked the slide back, and ran my cleaning rod down the barrel. Sure enough, there was a bullet stuck.
Looks like it made it about a quarter inch past the casing..

Had to go out and get me a brass rod after that. Managed to get it pounded out. I'm gonna have to go back one of these days and finish off that batch of ammo to make sure none of the rest are like that. :)
(I'll bring the brass rod with, just in case..)
BlackEagl

Re: Squib

Postby Aftrshck on Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:31 pm

that sucks man....but look at it this way....at least you realized it after that shot and you did not try to pop another round off like some folks have done....easy to get a single out....a real pain and can be expensive to get out two....

~Aftrshck
--
~Aftrshck
Aftrshck

Postby BlackEagl on Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:44 am

True.. Kinda hard to miss that one tho.. :)
BlackEagl

Postby cobb on Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:59 am

BlackEagl wrote: I'm gonna have to go back one of these days and finish off that batch of ammo to make sure none of the rest are like that.

Personally I wouldn't risk that, instead just pull that batch apart and reload the components.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby Pinnacle on Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:44 am

cobb wrote:
BlackEagl wrote: I'm gonna have to go back one of these days and finish off that batch of ammo to make sure none of the rest are like that.

Personally I wouldn't risk that, instead just pull that batch apart and reload the components.

Or get a digital scale and tare wt a primed case / bullet / and a powder charge.

Then weigh all of your loads and see where you are with that.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby plblark on Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:07 am

and THEN pull them apart or shoot the ones that come within 1 std dev? The scale and comparison would give you an idea if something was off and how many it was off with. Especially if compared to a similar box of shells.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby Vlad on Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:29 am

I tried that in the past with some 45 loads and it did not work. it was a mixed lot of brass and the difference between the cases was larger than the powder load. (The connecter for the powder measure on my progressive was jumping out of the track every once and a while) I did pull all the bullets (20 rounds out of 1000 were empty). The bullet puller that goes on a single stage press from RCBS worked a whole lot faster than the hammer style, not to mention neater and quieter. Did you figure out why there was no powder? Good luck! Tom
http://www.Schleifleather.com For custom holsters that fit you and the gun, not to mention show off those Strad grips...

The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression."

--W.E.B. Du Bois,
American scholar and civil rights leader
Vlad

Postby Pinnacle on Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:46 am

the difference in case weight in a 380 would be nominal

anything on the low end - pull and check - this is a trick that I have used in the past and it works....

A collet style puller is the best bet with something like this - kinetic pullers are SLOW and LOUD.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby Rem700 on Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:03 pm

If its question of no powder in the case, Place the cartridge bullet first in a powder funnel and shake the funnel acts like a megaphone and you can hear the powder rattle or not depending if theres powder in the case.
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:49 pm

You need to review your handloading practices and find out how that one squib (or more) got past your QC checks, and then change the way you reload. The maximum allowable number of squibs for a handloader is ONE for your entire life. Any number significantly higher than that may become a self-fufilling life ending event.

I have never gone the progressive route, and after I load a block of 50 or 100 cases, I take the block over underneath the ceiling light in my shop and check that the powder level in all the cases looks the same.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby MNBud on Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:57 pm

I can only assume this is reloads we are talking about, and they were done on a progressive machine. Is this correct?
MNBud

Postby westhope on Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:11 pm

A squib load is why I bought a power check for my Dillon press. I have not had one since. The $35 was well worth it. I load 5,000 to 10,000 annually.

I am not perfect. My wife will confirm that.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby someone1980 on Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:43 pm

westhope wrote:A squib load is why I bought a power check for my Dillon press. I have not had one since. The $35 was well worth it. I load 5,000 to 10,000 annually.

A $35 insurance policy is pretty cheap.
Defend yourself.
Defend your family.
Defend your beliefs.
someone1980

Postby BlackEagl on Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:18 am

MNBud wrote:I can only assume this is reloads we are talking about, and they were done on a progressive machine. Is this correct?

Correct.
westhope wrote:A squib load is why I bought a power check for my Dillon press.

I've got one, but I've only got it on the .45 toolhead now. I'm planning on going to gunstop one of these days and getting what I need to put it on the .380 and .40 heads too.
BlackEagl

Postby BlackEagl on Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:58 pm

Well, I stopped out at gunstop this morning.. Picked up the dies for the powder check for the .380 and the .40, and a bullet puller.. Also decided to get some primers (because I was out of both sizes), some powder, and 1000 SWC bullets for the .45..

Shouldn't have any more squibs now! :D
BlackEagl

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading