Reloading Services?

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Reloading Services?

Postby XDM45 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:58 pm

I know it'd be cheaper in the long run to do this myself, but it's an investment I won't make right now for a variety of reasons..... that being said, I have 1,500 casings in .45ACP that I need reloaded with 230gr for target practice ammo.

Does anyone here do reloading for other people?
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Re: Reloading Services?

Postby BemidjiDweller on Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:21 pm

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember such a service would require an ammunition manufacture's FFL.
BemidjiDweller

Postby Stradawhovious on Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:29 pm

XDM45 wrote:Does anyone here do reloading for other people?

Not legal to sell reloads without proper licensing. I would be willing to bet that the law can be interpreted to include selling reloading services as well, but IANAL.

In addition to that, I wouldn't shoot someone elses reloads on a dare, especially some of the yahoos on this site. I like my guns and fingers, and would like to keep them.

Oh, and I mean "yahoo" in the most positive sense of the word. :|
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby engnerdan on Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:59 pm

There is at last one place that sells this service. But I do not remember the name. Snowgun on here used to use the service. Try sending him a PM.
Seismic Sam wrote:When it launches, the marketing will hit you in the face like the shrapnal from a methane explosion in a 3 holer outhouse!! :P :P :P
engnerdan

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:01 pm

It use to be legal to load ammo for another if the person provided the components necessary to properly reload.

I've done that for many others over the years since 1972 when I started reloading.

But if the Laws have changed in that respect, please let me know. Please provide where it is legally worded.

I will put my reloads up against any factory rounds for quality and consistency. I load for accuracy, not volume.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Anokamnman on Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:36 pm

I personally would not shoot any reloads except my own. But I have to say if I had to trust someone elses reloads, it would be oldman. He is my reloading mentor. Great guy. Full of knowledge
Wrap that around your overly muscled left wing and row your dinghy in counterclockwise circles as a result.
Anokamnman

Postby yuppiejr on Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:00 am

Anokamnman wrote:I personally would not shoot any reloads except my own. But I have to say if I had to trust someone elses reloads, it would be oldman. He is my reloading mentor. Great guy. Full of knowledge

+1
yuppiejr

Postby XDM45 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:10 am

Stradawhovious wrote:
XDM45 wrote:Does anyone here do reloading for other people?

Not legal to sell reloads without proper licensing. I would be willing to bet that the law can be interpreted to include selling reloading services as well, but IANAL.

In addition to that, I wouldn't shoot someone elses reloads on a dare, especially some of the yahoos on this site. I like my guns and fingers, and would like to keep them.

Oh, and I mean "yahoo" in the most positive sense of the word. :|

I gather this is a bad idea to have someone else reload for me. bummer.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby Stradawhovious on Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:34 am

XDM45 wrote:I gather this is a bad idea to have someone else reload for me. bummer.

Depends on what kind of risk you're willing to take. If you find someone who will assemble the components for free, I'm sure it's legal, but at that point if they put together loads that are less than safe, it's on you when you shoot it.

I certainly wouldn't pay someone for this service though.... not sure of the legality. Like I said, it's against the law to sell remanufactured ammo without the proper license. Not sure if that carries over to selling the service too... but I wouldn't want to be that test case.

Look at it this way.... What happens if the person you find to load this stuff for you accidentally does a double charge? How about a triple charge? They may have made a mistake, but if it's bad enough it's your gun, hands and eyes that pay the price.

On the end of the reloader, what happens if someone reloads a bunch of rounds for someone, then something happens to the shooter or the gun when those rounds are taken to the range? Whether it's the fault of the reloads or not, the reloader would get blamed, and might even suffer legal consequences. As much as I wouldn't shoot someone else's reloads, I wouldn't reload for someone else either. Too much liability either way IMHO.

Here's a thought for you..... if you're planning on getting into this eventually, maybe ask if someone would be willing to act as a mentor for you and show you the ropes..... bring a bunch of components over to their place, have them show you how to reload, then you use their equipment to assemble your own ammo.

That's how I started, and I would be willing to bet there are a handfull of folks here that would help you out in that way.

Just a thought.
Stradawhovious

Postby Vlad on Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:29 am

+1 to what Strad said. That is how I got started as well. BTW, Strad's loads are pretty much the only loads that I did not assemble myself that I would shoot in my guns. ;)
http://www.Schleifleather.com For custom holsters that fit you and the gun, not to mention show off those Strad grips...

The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression."

--W.E.B. Du Bois,
American scholar and civil rights leader
Vlad

Postby OldmanFCSA on Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:08 am

And as a Mentor, are you not legally responsible for the loads assembled on your equipment?

This is a mess that slowly erodes on the sport of reloading ammo safely.

Do you think that just because you have a FFL to manufacture ammunition that that makes the ammunition any safer?
If you think so, you are wrong. I had such a license in the past and am thinking of doing it again as soon as I am able to get the proper paperwork filed with Township, County, State, and BAFTE. I already have the Liability Insurance in place which many of you d not. Do you allow others to shoot your gun with your reloads? If so, you are putting them into a dangerous position for which you are liable, should any accident occur.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Stradawhovious on Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:21 am

OldmanFCSA wrote:Do you think that just because you have a FFL to manufacture ammunition that that makes the ammunition any safer?
If you think so, you are wrong. I had such a license in the past and am thinking of doing it again as soon as I am able to get the proper paperwork filed with Township, County, State, and BAFTE. I already have the Liability Insurance in place which many of you d not. Do you allow others to shoot your gun with your reloads? If so, you are putting them into a dangerous position for which you are liable, should any accident occur.

I never said having a license makes it any safer, I just said that without it it's not legal. Other than that, I don't much care who has what license, or what hoops they had to jump through to get them or how much insurance they have. I'm still not paying for or shooting their reloads.

It seems that you are taking offense to my posts here, which is kind of surprising, since nothing I've said is directed at you. I'm just trying to help...... But I suppose I should know by now better than to do that here.

The fact is, there is a risk for all involved parties when it comes to this. It seems that we at least agree on that much. You want to take it? You reload for him.
Stradawhovious

Postby OldmanFCSA on Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:40 am

Stradawhovious wrote:
It seems that you are taking offense to my posts here, which is kind of surprising, since nothing I've said is directed at you. I'm just trying to help...... But I suppose I should know by now better than to do that here.

The fact is, there is a risk for all involved parties when it comes to this. It seems that we at least agree on that much. You want to take it? You reload for him.

NO - I am NOT taking offense to YOUR posts, please don't take it wrong! I am just upset that the legality of the situation has evolved/erroded to the point that we are unable to help other enthusists of the sport by reloading their ammo without a FFL in place with the proper County and State permits also.

I would very much like to help with the project, even to let him use my equipment, and with me there to oversee his work, teaching him the correct methods to manufacture/assemble accurate ammunition. However, due to cost of equipment, some monetary exchange would need to occur, whether it be by barter system or cash. The old saying applies "I work for BEER." Leave it to the lawyers to construe ways to twist laws to their benefit in the court system.

Repeat - I was not attacking you!!! I am upset our society has erroded to the level we are at today.

EDIT - maybe I should explain myself by saying that instead of writing "you" I should instead write "you all" to indicate all who are reading this topic and others. If I had to direct it only to you Strad, I would use your UserName, out of politeness to others. I did re-read my posting and can see why you Strad thought I was attacking you Strad, but my intention was not to.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Stradawhovious on Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:53 am

Thanks for the clarification. I had a feeling we were on the same team here.
Stradawhovious

Postby promod1385 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:20 pm

Here is a good source for training ammo: http://www.freedommunitions.com/category-s/1912.htm

Here are a couple places that do contract reloading and one that has a brass trade in program that might fit your bill:
http://www.goodtogoammo.com/brassdiscounts.php#bd
http://www.atlantaarmsandammo.com/
http://dcammo.com/
promod1385

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading