Bullet weights

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Bullet weights

Postby Tomh on Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:13 pm

I do not understand bullet weights. For example with .22 rounds; I've been told a 36 gr bullet is more accurate than a 40 gr. why? Is the gr weight the overall weight of the case and bullet or just the bullet? Thanks in advance for helping me get this straight in my head.
Tomh

Re: Bullet weights

Postby ttousi on Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:16 pm

just the bullet
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby TTS on Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:17 pm

There is no arbitrary rule for one weight bullet being more accurate that another. The consistency of the powder charge, barrel length, twist rate and many other factors come into play. A 36gr. bullet might be very accurate out of my rifle and not out of yours.

ETA: What ttousi said too :D
Owner
Tactical Training Solutions
Specializing in Self Defense and Firearms Training
http://www.minnesotaccw.com
TTS

Postby Sigfan220 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:13 am

That's like saying 6cyl cars are faster that 4cyl cars. Yeah some are but not all depends on a whole lot more. My 10-22 likes 40gr it shoots 36gr fine but the 40s are a bit better. That may not hold true even in another 10-22. The only way to find out is to try.

Also ask your source why 22 match is 40gr if 36 is so accurate??
Sigfan220

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:43 am

Volumes have been written about the accuracy of smallbore ammunition. IMHO, finding what shoots best in your rifle almost boils down to a black art. The serious smallbore competitor will spend large amounts of money on test lots of ammo, not only from different manufactures but different lot numbers from the same manufacture. I know of one local man who flies to the UK periodically to test the latest production from the Eley factory. These guys have no problem spending $20 or more for a box of 50, of course once they find the lot number which they think shoots best they buy every box/brick/case of the stuff they can get their hands on.

I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby noylj on Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:02 pm

Whoever told you that is so full of s***, they aren't worth listening too about anything else.
ALL GUNS ARE DIFFERENT. ALL BARRELS ARE DIFFERENT. WHAT BULLET MANUFACTURER, STYLE, AND WEIGHT ONE GUN LIKES MEANS ALMOST NOTHING WITH RESPECT TO ANOTHER GUN.
You can't even say that a 1:9 rifling in .223 will perform best with 50-60 grain bullets. You just don't know what your gun will like without testing it.
I have NEVER found any of my .22 to have a preference for one bullet weight, but they sure show a preference as far as what lot of ammunition they like.
I have one .22 that loves some old cheap greasy Yugoslavian ammo I bought several decades ago and doesn't care for the expensive stuff at all. One chokes on copper-flash bullets (and I have no idea why).
I think you can check magazine articles on .22s and you will find that all the articles come to same conclusions--the only way to tell is to shoot 'em.
noylj

Postby s4s4u on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:59 pm

Every gun is different, and one will never know what shoots best until one shoots them all.
Know guns, Know peace, Know safety.
No guns, No peace, No safety. NRA
s4s4u

Return to Ammunition & Reloading