Load data

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Load data

Postby NorthrenMN on Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:47 pm

Does anyone have a good load using 55gr sierra blitzking in 22-250
NorthrenMN

Re: Load data

Postby bpacman on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:18 pm

Are you looking for a powder recommendation and/or charge weight?

If you are unwilling or unable to buy a manual, please utilize the online references that are available.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Just a friendly suggestion from the "300lbs" Troll. 8-) 8-)

Bp
Good Judgement comes from Experience....Unfortunately a lot of that comes from Bad Judgement.
bpacman

Postby OldmanFCSA on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:17 pm

From the 375 pound NoTroll, R.T.F.M.!!!
OldmanFCSA

Postby rugersol on Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:19 am

sorry ... not my caliber! Image
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby Seismic Sam on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:29 am

Hell yes, since I have every major reloading manual published since 1971, I got lotsa 22-250 data!! Is there anything else you want to know?? BTW, getting load data off the internet is the leading cause of sudden, widespead facial herpes shortly after pulling the trigger on a load that some Cletus gave you.

Reloading manual - $27.95

Facial herpes treatment at ER - $2,000 - $4,000!!

The ORIGINAL, genuine reloading troll!! Accept no substitutes or posers!!
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby bpacman on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:37 am

Seismic Sam wrote: BTW, getting load data off the internet is the leading cause of sudden, widespead facial herpes shortly after pulling the trigger on a load that some Cletus gave you.

Hey Sam, just making sure here. Are you saying the load data on the Hodgon Reloading Data Center site is dangerous or is it just asking for someone to post up their load data on the internet is dangerous.

Just curious.

Thanks,

Bp
Good Judgement comes from Experience....Unfortunately a lot of that comes from Bad Judgement.
bpacman

Postby yuppiejr on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:45 am

I treat new load data like the media is supposed to research sources for a story... 3 reputable sources... load data on the Hodgton site tends to be on the "hot" end of the spectrum when compared to other sources. I belive a refresh may be on the way as Sierra and Lymann's manuals were both running a few bucks less than normal from the current edition from the usual sources if you're looking to pick up a copy of either/both.
yuppiejr

Postby Seismic Sam on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:47 pm

bpacman wrote:
Seismic Sam wrote: BTW, getting load data off the internet is the leading cause of sudden, widespead facial herpes shortly after pulling the trigger on a load that some Cletus gave you.

Hey Sam, just making sure here. Are you saying the load data on the Hodgon Reloading Data Center site is dangerous or is it just asking for someone to post up their load data on the internet is dangerous.

Just curious.

Thanks,

Bp

No, I am not aware that the load data on the Hodgdon website is off in any way, I have their BIG printed manual, and the advantage to this particular manual is that it has bullets from MANY different makers, while all the bullet makers have only their own brands. The Alliant website is misleading in that in at least part of it, they only list the max, balls-to-the-wall load, and unless you catch the fine print that says there are all max loads, you're in big trouble! Yes, the 10mm Norma factory spec load of 10.0 grains of Blue Dot for a 200 gr. bullet is in there, and if you go North of there at all you are really asking for it. Even got into a bit of a discussion with someone here about going North of the 165 grain bullet load, and they were wondering what velocity they would get, and I had to jump in to mention that THIS was the load that had got me one of the two bulged cases I have had in my lifetime, and going North of there would be suicide, so that Alliant data can mislead even experienced reloaders.

The primary concern is getting load data off "some damn gun forum" where everybody talks like Rugersol :P and they have a chewing terbacky section on the board. You can get load data practically anywhere, and we had that one incident where we had a yahoo in here make the incredibly dangerous assertion that you could use full power 10mm load data in 40 cases with a 10mm gun, and I went after that guy on PM with a meat axe, and thankfully he never came back. The real kicker was that at the time, if you Googled "favorite 10mm loads" THAT thread on THIS website came up #1 or #2 for the whole internet.

And last and probably least, but it still irks me, is people coming in in here who are obviously too cheap or lazy to BTFM and RTFM, and even too lazy to find the powders manufacturer's own website out there with a Google search. I know this place is called The Daycare Center, but I thought is was for people who were at least out of diapers and could take care of themselves a little bit. :deadhorse:
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby bpacman on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:17 pm

Hey I appreciate that and I believe you on the 10mm stuff. I reloaded it 23 years ago and it taught me not to trust using just one balance beam scale.

Thanks,

Bp
bpacman

Postby NorthrenMN on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:50 pm

Ok so i was looking for what powder seems to work the best for everyone. Oh and by the way I have 10 manuals. So any other smart remarks.
NorthrenMN

Postby BigDog58 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:51 pm

NorthrenMN wrote:Does anyone have a good load using 55gr sierra blitzking in 22-250

If you want to use the internet to get your recipes, I suggest subscribing to LoadData.com. It gives you access to numerous Loads from Numerous Manuals. And, if I've learned nothing else, "RTFM" and having several available at the same time ( I own 3 Hard Back and two paper back manuals in addition to subscribing to Load Data), which allows you to see nearly everything printed by almost all manufacturers. :idea:
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby bpacman on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:28 pm

NorthrenMN wrote:Ok so i was looking for what powder seems to work the best for everyone. Oh and by the way I have 10 manuals. So any other smart remarks.

Back when I loaded this round, I was partial to IMR 3031. H335 and H322 work well and pour better since they are a ball powder.

Unfortunately the powders that work well with 22-250 also work well with 223 and they are all in very short supply. If you have some in stock work up a load that shoots well in your rifle and enjoy the time at the range.

Oh, and these were not "Smart Remarks." If you openly ask a "Noob" question without clarifying that you are not looking to take short cuts on the research and would just like opinions on other peoples preference. Asking people to post up their load data is not a good idea.

You can post up your load data and ask if anyone sees a problem with it but all they will do is go to a manual or an online resource and see if you are in tolerance. Each rifle has its own favorite. You just need to find what yours is.

Bp
bpacman

Postby NorthrenMN on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:46 pm

Thanks for the info have plenty of powder on hand.Have never loaded 22-250 before so just wanted to see what everyone used. My supplies are very well stocked.
NorthrenMN

Postby NorthrenMN on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:54 pm

I dont ever use loaddata from the internet or from anyone else.I asked the question that way to see what the respones would be.
NorthrenMN

Postby Seismic Sam on Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:09 pm

NorthrenMN wrote:Ok so i was looking for what powder seems to work the best for everyone. Oh and by the way I have 10 manuals. So any other smart remarks.

All righty then - The Sierra Infinity 6 program, which uses the Sierra #5 paper manual on its DVD, lists the accuracy load for the 55 Blitz King as 38.0 grains of H380 powder to produce 3500 FPS. Sierra made a mistake with their number 5 paper manual in that they also offered it on disk along with Infinity Suite 5, and people copied the disk and I think it loused up their sales. They came out with a 6th paper edition (huge sucker too...), but never coupled that with their Infinity Suite 6, and even the 6th edition has been out there awhile. So despite the fact that I shoot their big 300 grain .338 Matchking bullet, and their matchkings are very good, they are kind of lagging behind the pack with manuals.

Nosler #7, which just came out, lists their 55 grain CT Ballistic Silvertip as most accurate with Big Game powder, with 37.5 grains for a mid range load producing 3568 FPS.

Hornady #9, also brand new, doesn't appear to list any particular powder or load for accuracy.They are old poopheads!!

The Lyman #49 manual lists the 55 grain Vmax with an accuracy load of 36.5 grains on N150, for 3663 FPS, and this is a MAX load, so if you start with this you deserve what you get...

EDIT: Just went to the trouble of writing this, and then came back to Mr Northern Poophead telling us he was a troll or even a bigger jerk than I am, and he doesn't even care about the data

Hey mods, could we have a BAN over here in Aisle 2 on this guy??

Oh, hey, could I interest you in some 45 reloads for sale?? Have I gotta deal for you!!

http://www.mnguntalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=40124
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Return to Ammunition & Reloading