Chronograph Information

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Chronograph Information

Postby BigDog58 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:53 pm

Hi all, I am considering purchasing a Chronograph for my birthday next month (My wife is going to purchase with my guidance...lol) and I would like some sage advice from those who are far more experienced than I.

Nearly all of my shooting and testing will be performed at an outdoor range. I have no idea whether it should include a printer or not. I know that I would like to have the ability to either hook it up to my laptop at the range and/or be able to wait until I am at home, and hook to a pc and dowload or print the data. I have zero knowledge of what features I need, nor which chrono is thebest for the price. I know that I would prefer to stay under $200 and below $150 is even better. But, I don't want a piece of junk that requires me to continuously adjust or move it. Mobility, is a challenge for me, so if that accounts for any influence, please consider that a large portion of the decision.

I will be testing both Rifle and Handgun Hand Loads for myself mainly. And, using the data to develop target rounds and hunting rounds. I'm sure a couple of other friends from this forum will likely be joining me to test their loads as well.

Thank you all,

Jim
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Re: Chronograph Information

Postby OldmanFCSA on Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:01 pm

They make two models, chose the one for use with a Brake and larger barrel options.

Here are the links:

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-acces ... 00-011-662

http://www.magnetospeed.com/collections/frontpage

LINKs FIXED = Thank you for pointing that out.

Enjoy.
Last edited by OldmanFCSA on Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Scratch on Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:06 pm

I just got a Pro Chrono Digital and love it. I used it for the first time today. It stores up to 9 different strings of shots (99 shots per string!) that you can go back and look at later even after you turn it off. It also shows you the min, max and average of each string, along with the spread and standard deviation. It's all very easy to use also. It has a nice wide area to shoot through too.

Of course they all may have the nice features like that, but I've only used a friends Shooting Chrony, and while it's smaller than mine, the features are much less.

I did what I thought was a good amount of research for mine and I thought the Pro Chrono Digital was a very reliable chrono, with good reviews, and I'm very happy with it so far.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby xd ED on Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:15 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:They make two models, chose the one for use with a Brake and larger barrel options.

Here are the links:

http://www.brownells...sku=100-011-662

http://www.magnetosp...tions/frontpage

Enjoy.

OM:
You're links ain't linkin'

http://www.magnetospeed.com

Have you used one of these?

Have they worked one up for an auto pistol?

LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby FJ540 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:33 pm

If there's a chance you'll want to use it on things like crossbows, compound bows, and short pistols - you want a free standing unit.

Those magneto units look really nice, and are much better than putting a hole in your chrono, but they don't lend well to some other ways a chrono is quite useful.
FJ540

Postby Scratch on Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:41 pm

I saw those Magneto ones, but starting at 275.00 and I don't see them being easily mounted to Glocks and many other semi autos... the only benefit I can see is the not shooting it thing.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby xd ED on Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:47 pm

Scratch wrote:I saw those Magneto ones, but starting at 275.00 and I don't see them being easily mounted to Glocks and many other semi autos... the only benefit I can see is the not shooting it thing.

Not shooting/ destroying it is a big plus. Also you could use it t a busy range without holding everyone else up whilst you fiddle with it.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby BigDog58 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:26 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:They make two models, chose the one for use with a Brake and larger barrel options.

Here are the links:

http://www.brownells...sku=100-011-662

http://www.magnetosp...tions/frontpage

Enjoy.

Doug, the links did not work. If you can, please post again.

I like the idea of the magneto but out of my price range. I also would like the option to be able to test my crossbow speed but it isn't a primary concern for the chrono use.

Thanks everyone for your input
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:09 am

Link in my original posting has been fixed.

Please try from above again.

Probably out of your price range.

Thanks everyone for pointing out errors of my original posting. I too hate it when links dont work.
OldmanFCSA

Chronograph Information

Postby Erud on Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:39 am

The Magnetospeed is an excellent piece of equipment but will not work for most handguns.
Erud

Postby Synergy on Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:27 am

I just picked up a Competition Electronics chrono and it works really well, you can add a printer and a laptop if you want plus you can get the optional remote for it.
Synergy

Postby Hmac on Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:58 am

I've used a Shooting Chrony for years. Very upgradable, very flexible. Has a remote display, printer capability, statistical calculation, and for me has been accurate (at least repeatably consistent). It packs up into a nice compact package and is readily transportable. It doesn't interface with a laptop, but taking a laptop to the range to sit on my shooting bench is that last thing that I want anyway. The less I have to carry and the fewer packages I have to carry it in, the better.

$115

Last edited by Hmac on Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hmac

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:16 am

In the humble opinion of the 800 pound reloading troll and a certain Mr. Warner who goes the Full Monty with his 9mm Major Glock, the one you wind up owning after using other stuff is the CED Millenium II. I has memory for 1000 shots fired, and Midway has it for $200. I would strongly suggest adding the IR skyscreens, as the sun angles on some day can make most any chrono suddenly go wonky or freeze up for no apparent reason. the Millenium II allows you to manipulate and play with the data gight on its screen, and it can do averages and SD's and ES and HI and LO with the press of a single button. Also does PF's no problem. BEST feature is that all the electronics are in the keypad ON your shooting bench, so the worst you can do is shoot out a $45 sensor unit or a $10 skyscreen. In addition, the size of the shooting triangle is about 3 times the area of a Chrony or most other units. With most other systems, if you shoot it you have to buy a whole new system, which puts you up in the Millenium cost bracket and you become the butt of jokes in here for the rest of your life, PLUS getting the same unit and living in fear that you will do it AGAIN. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Also with the Millenium, you don't need no STEENKENG funky leetle printer just for your chrono. Don't waste your money on a printer, period!

http://www.cedhk.com/shop/products/CED-M2-Chronograph-Set.html
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Dutch on Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Got me the Oehler 35P last year. It's got 3 screens so it can verify between 1-2 and 2-3. If it's off it disregards the reading.
No need for STEENKENG IR screens and it comes with the printer.
Men may argue forever on what wins their wars, and welter in cons and pros, and seek for the answer at history's doors, but the man with the rifle knows.
Dutch

Postby arizona98tj on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:28 pm

I ran one of the higher end PACT chronographs until the display starting dropping. Finally decided to get something newer. The CED M2 has been doing really well for me. Here is review of the CED M2 chronograph.

arizona98tj

Return to Ammunition & Reloading