I officially have a problem

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Postby Evad on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:21 pm

I just bought a second press. Both are progressive (lee pro 1000). The conversion from 45ACP to 9mm made me do it. No need to buy dies, small primer holder, and maybe case feeder. I can leave each set up exactly how I want them once the day comes. That...and "some" components I have gathered.

None of this would be an issue, except I have not loaded a single round. I'm reading my third book on reloading (Lyman's 49th) and life keeps me busy. So, not one round loaded and I feel silly buying the second press, but I know I will use it. I could probably load 10,000 rounds in the time I have spent reading about it :lol:

Anyone else go nuts on supplies before ever pulling the handle?
Evad

Re: I officially have a problem

Postby Dakotared on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:30 pm

Yup I have gone nuts. Just not like you did. :D I have many conversions for the pro 1000 and keep adding more.

If you want help figuring out the press and see how one works before you go out on your own give me a pm and I will show you what I found works well for me and all the in's and out's on the pro 1000.
Dakotared

Postby Evad on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:36 pm

I for sure will! I know one other guy with the pro1000 and I plan on picking his brain a little too. Another source is always welcome.
Evad

Postby DaZhi on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:51 pm

I have an extra lee powder through expander die for 45ACP if you want it. I also acquired a pro 1000 second hand and it came set up for 9mm, except for the powder through. Discovered this after I crushed a couple cases dialing it in tonight.
DaZhi

Postby rugersol on Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:34 am

IIRC, I used my LNL-AP fer 'bout a week, fore I bought the 2nd ... one fer small-primer, the other fer large ... no-brainer, IMO!

... course, back then, with $75 off at the register at Cabela's, I got both presses fer bout $300/ea ... and 1,000 free bullets back ... EACH! :mrgreen:

... then again, that was pre-EZ-ject! :?
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby wrench on Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:14 am

When I decided to start casting bullets a few years ago, I bought a bullet mold. Then another, and another. Probably had 10 molds before I cast a single bullet. :roll:
I feel your pain.
And let's not even talk about fly tying equipment. :?
Remember, gun control is not about guns, it's about control.
wrench

Postby Eric Marleau on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:17 am

Not to hijack this threat but what do you guys think of the Lee pro?

Eric
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Life Member
Eric Marleau

Postby Evad on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:37 am

Eric Marleau wrote:Not to hijack this threat but what do you guys think of the Lee pro?

Eric

Mine is still in the box...but it does that very well!

I made my choice based on a few things...but I expect it will do exactly what I need.
Evad

Postby SSBotanyBay on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:50 am

Yeah...me too. Step one is acknowledging that you have a problem. I only have a single stage RCBS, and a Lee hand press for decapping on the couch, but the man in the brown truck just dropped off a Thumler's stainless steel set-up today. The first completed cartridge came out of the press yesterday after 5 months of collecting reloading equipment and components. Things are finally starting to come together.
"There is nothing more uncommon than common sense."---Thomas Chalmers
SSBotanyBay

Postby Evad on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:11 pm

Glad to know I am not crazy....or I have crazy company :lol:
Evad

Postby LumberZach on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:42 pm

Funny, I just finished reading Lyman 49th and Nosler 7th and my Lee single stage press hasn't loaded anything yet. I though I was nuts for buying this stuff without reloading yet! Those progressives sound awesome though!
LumberZach

Postby Dakotared on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:47 pm

I like the lee pro 1000. It is a budget press that can turn out good ammo. If you try to ram rod 1000 rounds an hour through it you will hate it. I can do 250 to 300 an hour pretty easy. The biggest thing you have to do with it is as soon as something does not feel right you must stop and see what is hanging up. Also keep the primer shoot full and it will give you no problems at all.
Dakotared

Postby Eric Marleau on Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:58 pm

I have a Lee Classic turret press, two Lyman All American turret presses, and an RCBS 6 hole turret press.
I would like to get a press that is a tad faster just incase I would want to put out a bunch in a shorter time but I don't want to spend the money on a Dillon. The Lee 1000 has intrigued me for some time.
Thanks for the info Dakota, I might just pick one up.

Eric
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Life Member
Eric Marleau

Postby TTS on Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:29 pm

Eric Marleau wrote:Not to hijack this threat but what do you guys think of the Lee pro?

Eric

They are great presses, I have over 100k loaded on one and about 50k loaded on another. I use the Lee 1000's for pistol and Lee Load Master for .223.

They are not the same quality as a Dillon, but they get the job done at a fraction of the price. Many have complained about the priming system, but I haven't had too many problems, you just have to feel what the press is doing.
Owner
Tactical Training Solutions
Specializing in Self Defense and Firearms Training
http://www.minnesotaccw.com
TTS

Postby Rem700 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:30 pm

Dont see the problem unless you expand calibers. I did basically the same thing except a different color and a couple of other calibers.
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading