Case Warning Update! Ammoload 9mm AND 45 cases

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Case Warning Update! Ammoload 9mm AND 45 cases

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:32 am

NOTE! There are all sorts of side issues here, some of which appear to be true and some merely guesses, which are being OMITTED to retain the clarity of the warning. I'll talk about some of the other stuff below.

Was sorting my 9mm range brass I had scrounged, and came across some very weird stuff:

UPDATE #2!! A few more of these cases have showed up in ANOTHER batch of 9mm brass from Oakdale!! It may be that from now on, if you're picking up range brass, you're going to have to look out for this stuff!!

UPDATE!! Just came across a 45ACP Ammoload case, and it has the same weird ledge inside the case in the lower half of it. As with 9mm, if you do reload this stuff, you're going to have to develop a whole new recipe for this reduced powder volume case. If you don't find 200 0r 300 all lying there in a pile, then you better make sure this doesn't get in with your other brass!!

These cases have a ledge and thus a substantially thicker base to them, which will make them VERY different from any other 9mm brass, and if you mix this stuff in with your other 9mm, you are asking for trouble. I went to the trouble of weighing the cases, and on average, they are 8.8% heavier than the average of 6 other popular brands, which is what you would expect with that extra brass in there. I then did a volume determination with water, and found out these cases had 4.4% LESS volume that standard 9mm cases. That's misleading, however, as the front half of the case is taken up by the bullet, so as far as the space for the powder is concerned, Ammoload cases have about 9% LESS internal volume than other cases. That's significant, and if you're loading full power loads with a quick burning powder like 231, something could go KABOOM on you. As such, if you run into this stuff, segregate it and make sure it isn't loaded with anything ELSE!!

That's the warning.

Now then, Ammoload is a company that makes ammunition loading equipment. That's their primary business. There is info out there that Ammoload is responsible for making the Raufoss 9mm Super incendiary ammo, http://gunshowgoods.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=36&products_id=145&zenid=p9jq0c0odiug8l98ilveq1u1v2 and this stuff is indeed super incendiary. Very exotic mixture of pyrophoric metals in the tip, and it supposedly generates a temp of 5,000 F. when it strikes a hard object. I haven't seen any claims of super velocity needed to go with this bullet.

There have been some reports that people have come across a fairly large amount of these cases, which would indicate that some of this may be coming from something other than $4 a round specialty ammo. No info out there to indicate which is the case right now.

There is a LOT of speculation out there that the case is super strong for some sort of hyper velocity ammo, and also that the ledge is there to keep the bullet from setting back. Either or both could be true. The gamers are speculating whether it would be easier to make Major with this 9mm case, but at this point it's just pure speculation.

So that's what's floating around out there in cyberspace, but what IS clear is that if you're loading hot 9mm loads, you do NOT want to let these cases get mixed in with the other stuff!!
Last edited by Seismic Sam on Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Re: Case Warning! Ammoload 9mm cases

Postby Hoot on Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:58 pm

Simply Wow Sam.

While I've reamed cases for outside the 9 dots rifle calibers, I've never seen a commercial one. I would be inclined to think in the direction of setback prevention as opposed to enhanced pressure tolerance. Of course, that is total speculation since that's the first time I ever heard the name Ammoload. Now, lets talk about those primer marks. Not being much of a pistol fan, is that a mark normal for some brand of pistol bolt?

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:44 pm

Hoot wrote:Simply Wow Sam.

While I've reamed cases for outside the 9 dots rifle calibers, I've never seen a commercial one. I would be inclined to think in the direction of setback prevention as opposed to enhanced pressure tolerance. Of course, that is total speculation since that's the first time I ever heard the name Ammoload. Now, lets talk about those primer marks. Not being much of a pistol fan, is that a mark normal for some brand of pistol bolt?

Hoot

I don't know you well enough to know if you're pulling my leg or asking a serious question, but those marks are what happens when you store your ammo inside a G17 Tupperware Container... Only Gaston Glock would go out of his way to come up with a new firing pin design... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Ron Burgundy on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:34 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:
Hoot wrote:Simply Wow Sam.

Hoot

I don't know you well enough to know if you're pulling my leg or asking a serious question, but those marks are what happens when you store your ammo inside a G17 Tupperware Container... Only Gaston Glock would go out of his way to come up with a new firing pin design... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Gaston was just trying to make it easier on you brass rats so you know what to pick up and what to leave.
Ron Burgundy

Postby MaryB on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:03 pm

My Aguila cases have that rim also, plain old 124gr round nose target ammo.
MaryB

Case Warning! Ammoload 9mm cases

Postby Snowgun on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:01 pm

Dammit, small primer 45 and now this ****...
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby Synergy on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:51 pm

If I remember right, before I got into reloading I bought some 9mm from freedom munitions and that was the brass they used. I googled the head stamp and there was very little info about it but I do remember someone saying you either can't or shouldn't reload it. I remember that because at the time I was thinking of getting into reloading and was disappointed that I wound not be able to re use that brass.
Synergy

Postby BigDog58 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:52 pm

Thanks for posting SS. I thought I was a little anal for inspecting my 9mm brass as closely as I do, but this proves to me I should remain dillegent. This is why I love reloading. As soon as you think you've seen nearly all (in my case 9mm brass) something new jumps out. It's really amazing how many different ideas manufacturers come up with. I just got 40 lbs. of 9mm brass from a friend in KS and found the first 9mm +P marked brass (nickle plated) that I had personally seen. It is my cherished brass and is reserved for some experimental max load rounds I plan to work with.

On another note: The brass you donated is truly nice and some quite unique. I especially like the 50 GI. Looks almost like an oversized .45 acp. All of it cleaned up very nice. Thank you for the donation. And, I LOVED your note :rotf:
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Re: Case Warning Update! Ammoload 9mm AND 45 cases

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:33 am

Bump for update on new caliber with this ledge!!
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Return to Ammunition & Reloading