Winchester primer too small or primer pocket to big

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: Winchester primer too small or primer pocket to big

Postby Hoot on Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:13 pm

hard h2o wrote:Was it a .25 WSSM down to .223 therefore the folded neck due to sizing the case down?

No. One of reasons i haven't gotten into the 25 WSSM, which is a phenomenal caliber and one of the reasons I got rid of my 300 WSSM, which likewise was a phenomenal caliber, which uses necked up 25 WSSM brass, was due to them both being dependent upon one brass manufacturer. Winchester's idea of quality control differs a lot from my own. That 25 WSSM case came out of a new bag of 50, purchased from Gunstop. 12 of them had creases and puckers in the shoulders and necks. Another one had an out and out split neck. Not a good basis for a long term relationship to either caliber. So, I tried cutting, annealing and sizing 300 WSM brass down to 300 WSSM. The success rate was 1 in 8 and then there was the neck wall thickness to deal with. I abandoned the idea and the remaining cases went on to comprise what you bought. Unlike the 25 WSSM, Winchester did a better job at the 300 WSM cases.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Previous

Return to Ammunition & Reloading