Treat plated same as FMJ?

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Treat plated same as FMJ?

Postby ZardozCZ on Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:22 pm

Noob alert! Gotta learn somewhere somehow. I can't find (nosler, Lyman, hornady) reference to plated bullets and how they might differ from jacketed for reloading concerns. What I did find would indicate that jacketed formula should be close. I just want to check here to be sure.

I received plated X-Treme from TJConevera recently, 115gr 9m RN, and 180gr HP 40S&W

I've got Universal and Clays, WSP and CCI 500 primers with once fired brass of my own shooting (mostly).

I made up some 40 using 5.2 gr of Universal to 1.130". I'm looking at using 3.2 gr of Clays for the 9 mm at 1.1" col.

These seem to be good for jacketed, ok for plated?

Thanks in advance!
ZardozCZ

Re: Treat plated same as FMJ?

Postby gun_fan111 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:33 pm

I do not know much about reloading, but there are a lot of threads on here addressing the same question. Just search for plated bullets :?
Did you just buy that beautiful firearm, or are you trying to sell that piece of crap?
gun_fan111

Postby Shipyard on Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:36 pm

generally treat plated as same as lead. the "jacket" on plated is super thin and does not behave same as a jacketed bullet. i have always used lead load data and keept them under 1200 fps. i have never had any issues. i run berry's plated almost exclusively through my 9's and 45's. i even load some 44 mag and 10mm plated for plinking mid-range loads.

look at the website/supplier recommendation of your plated bullets for proper load information.
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Postby LarryFlew on Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:46 pm

Use the lead data unless you particular brand of plated says differently (not likely except for some heavy plated). IE HBRN Berry's is a heavy plate that can be pushed close to FMJ velocities.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby arizona98tj on Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:58 pm

LarryFlew wrote:Use the lead data unless you particular brand of plated says differently (not likely except for some heavy plated). IE HBRN Berry's is a heavy plate that can be pushed close to FMJ velocities.

If you read Berry's FAQ, you wouldn't be pushing them any more than than half of a max jacketed load....that is what they recommend.
arizona98tj

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:26 pm

Pure lead bullets oxidize fast and look terrible if it contains no tin or antimony. A flash coating of copper makes them look nice longer, but is structurally not thick enough to affect performance in a positive manner. Use data for cast bullets, please.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Seismic Sam on Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:46 pm

ZardozCZ wrote:Noob alert! Gotta learn somewhere somehow. I can't find (nosler, Lyman, hornady) reference to plated bullets and how they might differ from jacketed for reloading concerns. What I did find would indicate that jacketed formula should be close. I just want to check here to be sure.

I received plated X-Treme from TJConevera recently, 115gr 9m RN, and 180gr HP 40S&W

I've got Universal and Clays, WSP and CCI 500 primers with once fired brass of my own shooting (mostly).

I made up some 40 using 5.2 gr of Universal to 1.130". I'm looking at using 3.2 gr of Clays for the 9 mm at 1.1" col.

These seem to be good for jacketed, ok for plated?

Thanks in advance!

N00b Suggestion #1: Learn to use the search function!! That question is answered WEEKLY in this forum for many months now...
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby LarryFlew on Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:59 pm

124 HBRN load data goes to 1500 fps which is below most std 124 jacketed loads.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby dleong on Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:44 am

My standard 9mm recipe calls for either a Rainier or Berry's (whichever was on sale) 115 gr. TCJ-RN projectile atop 4.6 gr. of Universal at an OAL of 1.150" for an average MV of 1020 fps out of a CZ 75B. When those became nigh-impossible to procure, I substituted then with the X-Treme 9mm RN 115 gr. ones, using the same recipe. The only difference noted was a slight decrease in the MV to about 1015 fps; accuracy was virtually identical.
dleong

Postby tator2k on Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:51 am

I've used the Rainier 240 gr HP in my SBH and never had a problem, and those have been way faster than 1200 fps.
tator2k

Return to Ammunition & Reloading