no more gunstop until john is back

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: no more gunstop until john is back

Postby gun_fan111 on Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:59 am

Btw, Larry had excellent selection yesterday - all of his shelfs are full just like in the pre-closing days!
Did you just buy that beautiful firearm, or are you trying to sell that piece of crap?
gun_fan111

Postby BigDog58 on Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:02 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:Glad to see you up and at least limping again!!

BigDog is a very warm and likeable guy from the phone conversations I have had, and he's a Good 'ol boy pretty much by birth and upbringing in the South...

Thanks Sam. I am limping a bit more than usual lately. The fall must have messed up more, than was already screwed up. So, I'm simply taking it as easy as possible, hoping it gets a bit better. And Yes, I'm a a True Southern raised boy. I had great parents, that thankfully taught me to treat others, the same way I want to be treated. I approach life, by never meeting a stranger. I do my best to like all that I meet, and only put them in my dislike list (very short) if they MAKE me dislike them. And, for an Old Troll, Sam's really not a bad guy. He truly is concerned for other's safety. His banging on some, is merely meant to make themopen their eyes and minds and to realize the stuff we play with (gun powder and bullets) can get you or others SERIOUSLY Injured if we don't pay attention.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby grousemaster on Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:14 pm

gun_fan111 wrote:
grousemaster wrote:I was in yesterday to get some powder. I over heard the big guy yell at someone on the phone who had called to see if they had a certain press in stock, the guy who called must not have heard his initial reply as the big guy yelled "I said, we RCBS press have blah blah blah!!!" before he promptly hung up ....then a few minutes later an older guy with a Korean war vet hat on asked him a question, the guy looked up at him and said rudely "I'm in the middle of something you're gonna have to wait!" . They were not busy either, maybe 3 customers in the shop....

I'm sorry, but what a complete dick head, when my 19 month old daughter heard/saw his demeanor she started crying for her mommy (and she's a regular at most of the shops in town and has never fussed while gun/ammo shopping). The other guy was nice and helpful as usual though. I still have never been mistreated there, but I personally overheard two customers being talked to like they were idiot school children, and one of those guys was in his 80's wearing a Korean War Veterans cap....

Did you already know they had a one can limit on powder, even for 1lb cans, or did you get smirked at just like me? :-)

Oh, and turns out they no longer quote prices over the phone... I am guessing for items the big guy does not know the price on and is too lazy to look it up!

Does anybody know how John is doing and when/if he will be back?

I picked up a couple cans of powder, and the guy ahead of me had a couple also....
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby gun_fan111 on Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:09 pm

grousemaster wrote:I picked up a couple cans of powder, and the guy ahead of me had a couple also....

And here I thought I was well liked in that place :roll:
Did you just buy that beautiful firearm, or are you trying to sell that piece of crap?
gun_fan111

Postby Seismic Sam on Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:24 pm

FYI on John:

John's heart attack was massive, and he had a quadruple bypass. I've been up close and personal in the OR and seen these done. :( :o :shock: :? John is hoping to be back by the end of September...
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Sammichman on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:03 pm

I stopped in today to Buy some RL22,,The gray haired guy who waited on me was Pleasant,,,I inquired about Johns Health and when He would be Back ale the guy said was,,thats between John and his Doctor,,,
Sammichman

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:12 am

I don't go to GunStop very often, but when I do, I usually drop $500 or more to get product that is in-stock.

Big John, I don't care for.
Old John is arrogant, but extremely knowledgeable if questions are asked properly.

But what I miss the most there is the camaraderie of sitting on stools discussing whatever comes up. It doesn't happen very often there. Wolf's Den is much more open with discussions.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:48 am

OldmanFCSA wrote:I don't go to GunStop very often, but when I do, I usually drop $500 or more to get product that is in-stock.

Old John is arrogant, but extremely knowledgeable if questions are asked properly.

But what I miss the most there is the camaraderie of sitting on stools discussing whatever comes up. It doesn't happen very often there. Wolf's Den is much more open with discussions.

You remember the old Gunstop out in Excelsior, just like I do....

But damn!! Was that an all day drive or what??
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby tator2k on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:05 am

Seismic Sam wrote:
OldmanFCSA wrote:I don't go to GunStop very often, but when I do, I usually drop $500 or more to get product that is in-stock.

You remember the old Gunstop out in Excelsior, just like I do....

We planned for large purchases and dinner at Pizza Platter on their late nights to get our stuff.
tator2k

Postby LarryFlew on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:47 am

Seismic Sam wrote:You remember the old Gunstop out in Excelsior, just like I do....

That was when young Larry met young Johnboy - thanks for the flashback!
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby grousemaster on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:19 am

LarryFlew wrote:
Seismic Sam wrote:You remember the old Gunstop out in Excelsior, just like I do....

That was when young Larry met young Johnboy - thanks for the flashback!

I bought my first deer rifle at that location....
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby LarryFlew on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:00 pm

grousemaster wrote:I bought my first deer rifle at that location....

M u st have been from John and Anne Nielsen. They live in Young America. John has cancer.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby smurfman on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:54 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:
OldmanFCSA wrote:You remember the old Gunstop out in Excelsior, just like I do....

I remember that too, it was less than a mile from home and I walked there and back many times. I was more a fan of the Copperstein than the Pizza Platter as I did not care much for their pizza and their service was worse. I don't know why as I never misbehaved in the restaurant nor even in the vicinity.

Going back for nostalgia, I remember when Johnboy was working with Don Parsons at Ammocraft out of the back room of the Outdoorsman on Hopkin's main street. I bought my first two MEC Jrs from them as well as all my supplies.
smurfman

Postby M4A1 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:44 pm

Old thread, but still actual. I really miss Smarty. Since he had his surgery, I try to avoid that place like the plague. Big John is rude as always, and I refuse to do business at places like that. I only go there if big box retailers don't have primers and powder. I spent more money at gunstop than I care to admit to. However, I rather wait until PW or MSS get the stuff back in stock.

On the funny side, first I thought BJ finally signed up for a damn gastric bypass.
The first words the surgeon said once the chest was open: where the hell is it?
M4A1

Postby Seismic Sam on Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:01 am

M4A1 wrote:On the funny side, first I thought BJ finally signed up for a damn gastric bypass.
The first words the surgeon said once the chest was open: where the hell is it?

The surgeon was a hack, and didn't know how to do it properly. If you use a surgical endoscope, you simply go up from the bottom, and considering how big an ***hole BJ is, you can't possibly miss finding the right spot!!! :P :P :P
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

PreviousNext

Return to Ammunition & Reloading