Lee Turret press?

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Lee Turret press?

Postby silvor on Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:03 pm

Anyone use the Lee Turret press? I was thinking of getting one for 9mm.

I don't load rifle, shoot maybe 200 rounds a month and would like a dillon, but really don't want to pay for one. :D
silvor

Re: Lee Turret press?

Postby MnHornet on Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:48 pm

I like mine. I've loaded piles of ammo with it. It's nice to be able to snap in a turret and go.
Proud to be Deplorable.
MnHornet

Postby Pat Cannon on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:06 pm

I like mine too. I've been loading .38 & .357 since 2009: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7381#p75570

I got the "Deluxe Turret". From all accounts the newer "Classic Turret" is better. There are plenty of Lee haters on the Internet but don't let that bother you. A search here will bring you a bunch of discussion about the pros & cons. Here's a very good article too: http://www.realguns.com/archives/122.htm
Pat Cannon

Postby Eric Marleau on Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:34 pm

I have the Lee Classic turret press. Have loaded thousands of .45acp, 9mm, and .40 S&W with no problems.
However, for my larger pistol and rifle reloading, I use my heavier Lyman All American presses or my RCBS turret press.
I do know folks who really like their Lee press for rifle reloads too though

Eric
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Life Member
Eric Marleau

Postby BigDog58 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:45 pm

I own the following Lee Presses
Classic Turret
Breach Lock
"C" Press
Load Master
50 BMG Press

I have used the Classic Turret the most. And,until I got the Load Master, I loaded thousands of Pistol and Rifle Ammo. Everything from .380 Auto to .300 Win Mag. I now use the Load Master for All Pistol Loading and .30 Carbine & .223.

I use the Classic Turret for ALL Rifle (Except 50 BMG) and processes. In addition, it gets used to deprime almost all of my brass . I HIGHLY suggest using this press if you aren't going to get a TRUE Progressive (Load Master , Dillon 650 etc). I say this because of several items that make it extremely useful. It disposes of spent primers thru the center of the Ram and into a catch tube. The "Deluxe Turret" drops them under the base and takes modifications to your bench to dispose of them, or taking the press off to clean them out. Also the Classic is a Cast Steel Base, compared to Aluminum for the Deluxe. I also like the fact it is easily connverted from a semi-progressive to a Single Stage, simply by removing the Indexing Rod.

Like the other guys said it is extremely fast changing calibers. Pull the turret, place new turret (already setup with new caliber), change Shell Holder (if necessary) and you are ready to load. The turrets are only about $12, also an advantage. MaryB from here also makes some beautiful Turret Stands to store each turret setup for each caliber (I have 17). I had some I bought from a guy on ebay, but prefer Mary's. Hers are laser cut, and fit the turrets beautifully, while keeping everything very organized.

If you would like to come and see my setup I would be glad to show you. I use the Lee Mounting Plates and can swith presses in less than 2 minutes. If you want to see it, you will have to either wait until I'm out of the extended care home (just had surgery), which I hope will be in about two weeks or so, or if you can plan to see it at a time OldmanFCSA is in the area, I can let him show you my
setup.

Lastly, the Classic Turret is the press I have suggested to several "New" reloaders, and to my knowledge ALL are very happy. I recently saw just the press, on sale for $100 with Free Shipping. Just another incentive. If you ever plan to load larger quantities, I personally would go with the Lee Loadmaster (because I'm a cheepo) or the Dillon 650 ( Too expensive in my book). I produce just as many rounds per hour, possibly higher (my case feeder cost about 1/5th what the Dillon does) as the 650.

If I can answer any questions that you have about Lee Presses, feel free to PM me and I'll give you my phone numbers (my home is in Edina).

The ONLY downside I have seen using the Classic Turret is when debulging .40 S&W brass. The "C" press works best for it.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Eric Marleau on Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:58 pm

Another positive on the Lee presses.
For my Classic Turret, I ordered all of the extra parts that I would need if something would break down.
The total cost was around $30.00. Can't beat that one.
Great press.

Eric
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Life Member
Eric Marleau

Postby MaryB on Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:00 pm

I use the Lee Turret press, the value kit. Load 380, 9mm, 223, 7.62x54r on it so far.
MaryB

Postby Spike on Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:49 pm

Another vote for the Lee Classic 4-hole Turret Press. I have Turrets setup for .45 ACP, 9mm, .357, .38 spc, .223, and a few more. I use the auto-disk powder measure on all of them. Once dialed in (don't trust the charts) they work very well. If you're not in a hurry and enjoy the reloading process you'll like it.
Spike

Postby BigDog58 on Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:19 am

Spike wrote:Another vote for the Lee Classic 4-hole Turret Press. I have Turrets setup for .45 ACP, 9mm, .357, .38 spc, .223, and a few more. I use the auto-disk powder measure on all of them. Once dialed in (don't trust the charts) they work very well. If you're not in a hurry and enjoy the reloading process you'll like it.

Spike, were you're findings similar to mine? I tend to find that if I need a 4.4 gr drop of Bullseye and the chart calls for a .41 disk, I have to go up to the next size hole (hole size mentioned not exact just an example)? I cannot see my chart from the Lee Manual at this time for EXACT whole size, actual grain drop, but this gives the idea. Let's say

4.4 gr Bullseye wanted. Manual says use .41 Disk. I have to go to .45 (or whatever is next size up) to get the 4.4 gr charge?

I've found similar results using Power Pistol, 2400, H-110 and so on. I have even tried this on different sets of disks with similar results. Once "dialed in" though, the Pro-Auto Disk Powder Measure has been totally consistent. The only fickle power I've found so far, is the 700X and 800X which I believe are a FLAT FLAKE type powder (if my memory is correct).

I have separate Pro Auto's setup for 9mm, 40 S&W, .38Special, and .45 ACP , and 30 Carbine. I still verify charge before beginning and spot check individual rounds during loading and ALWAYS right on the money. I must say that I made Baffles for each hopper, and believe they contribute to the consistency. I also sprayed and coated each baffle with Graphite, with the intentions of preventing static charges.

Anyone else have similar findings or if not, how what are you discovering?
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Spike on Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:52 am

I just tossed the charts except to use them to find the correct increments for the double disc. I think on most of my turrets I've gone to the adjustable charge bar. I keep adjusting until I get what I want. Not very scientific but I get very consistent drops once I find the right combination. Like I said in my previous post, I'm not in a hurry. I enjoy reloading.
Spike

Postby Lights on Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:14 am

My cheapo cast aluminum Lee turret press has more that paid for it's self over and over. I load .45 auto and 9mm on it. I also chucked the powder disks and installed an adjustable powder bar. I can dial in any weight I want to throw.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified RSO
Lights

Postby LarryFlew on Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:59 am

turret and 2 1000's and all work great. Only reason for 2 is the PITA they can be to get the progressives set right so I just swap them for 9mm and 45. Rest done on the turret.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby silvor on Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:11 pm

Spike wrote: If you're not in a hurry and enjoy the reloading process you'll like it.

So do I take that to mean this is just slightly faster than single stage loading?

I have a Lee C press and the scoops. The thing I hate most is the hand priming, the other stuff I can deal with. I did have a Dillon 550 long ago, but for as much as I shoot, I can't really justify the expense.

So, is this pretty much what I need? (I have dies).
Lee Auto-Disk Powder Measure
Lee Auto-Disk Powder Measure Swivel Adapter
Lee Auto-Disk Adjustable Powder Charge Bar
Lee Auto-Disk Powder Measure Riser
Lee Safety Prime Small and Large Primer Feeder for 2006, Later Reloading Press
Lee Classic 4 Hole Turret Press
$179.14 from Midway.
silvor

Postby MnHornet on Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:09 pm

I usually prime out of the press, then 3 pulls per round. I think it's faster.
Proud to be Deplorable.
MnHornet

Postby Lights on Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:38 pm

Yep I would buy everything that you have on the list. You should be set if you add scale to the list if you do not have one. I use the safety prime that mounts to the press and like it. I do need one of them swivels for the powder measurers though sometimes.

Yes it is faster than a single stage.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified RSO
Lights

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading