Acceptable variance for loading?

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Acceptable variance for loading?

Postby captnviper on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:03 am

New to reloading and currently measure almost every load. I am using a lee adjustable disk with a powder thru die. Was loading .45 auto to 6.7 grns of longshot after using a rcbs 5-0-5 to setup I use a cheap franklin to verify each round. I was getting between 6.6-7 grains, 7 more often than 6.6. So I made small adjustment and it worked well, for 5-10 rounds then 6.2-6.5 adjust again. Got it pretty dialed in but just curios if guys have a window they expect from their equipment and if yes how big is reasonable or acceptable?
"It's better to have a gun and need it then not have one and not need it" Ricky.
captnviper

Re: Acceptable variance for loading?

Postby JJ on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:21 am

Powder type makes a huge difference in metering. If I am using a fine ball powder, 0.3 total variance is generally acceptable (=/- 0.1g)

If you are using an extruded type powder, much more variance may be present. With some of my extruded powder loads i see variance of about 0.5g (+/- 0.2) and would consider it acceptable. If I am at a near max load in this scenario, I will usually throw my charges light, and trickle up to my correct charge.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:25 am

Depends on your load. If it's midway between max and min, I'd weigh one or two charges just to check. Forget weighing every charge, and if the Franklin is electronic then it may be worse that not weighing it at all. For max loads you weight every charge to 0.1 with a GOOD beam scale.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby captnviper on Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:04 am

Seismic Sam wrote:Depends on your load. If it's midway between max and min, I'd weigh one or two charges just to check. Forget weighing every charge, and if the Franklin is electronic then it may be worse that not weighing it at all. For max loads you weight every charge to 0.1 with a GOOD beam scale.

Okay I was under the impression the rcbs is a good beam scale, is this not the case? As far as I can tell when comparing to the beam scale the franklin is .1 of a grain under at this weight and is consistent. If the charge didnt fall between 6.6-6.9 on franklin I would double check(why do I hear that in a chigago accent) it on rcbs.
"It's better to have a gun and need it then not have one and not need it" Ricky.
captnviper

Postby Sammichman on Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:37 pm

I use an RCBS electronic scale,,when I started using it I would check it against my Beam scale just to Daable check the calibration ,,I don,t bother any more,,(I,m Fluent in Chicago)
Sammichman

Postby farmerj on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:03 pm

Keep fiddling with the controls or your constant adjusting will statistically make things even worse.

Manufacturing processes have a natural variance to them. In reloading that involves everything you do. The way you pull the handle, return the handle etc.

Manage those variances before you just start tweaking knobs and controls. They both can cause inaccuracies, understanding them is the art.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby BigDog58 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:49 am

captnviper wrote:New to reloading and currently measure almost every load. I am using a lee adjustable disk with a powder thru die. Was loading .45 auto to 6.7 grns of longshot after using a rcbs 5-0-5 to setup I use a cheap franklin to verify each round. I was getting between 6.6-7 grains, 7 more often than 6.6. So I made small adjustment and it worked well, for 5-10 rounds then 6.2-6.5 adjust again. Got it pretty dialed in but just curios if guys have a window they expect from their equipment and if yes how big is reasonable or acceptable?

If you are near Edina, you are welcome to stop by and see how I run my Lee Pro Auto Disk. I use Bullseye powder quite a bit for things like 9mm, 38 Spl, 45 ACP and others. I really like it in combination with my Lee Pro Auto Disk. If I set my drop at 4.4 gr I'll get 9 out of 10 drops dead on 4.4 and one at 4.5 . I use a Pact Digital scale and it is right on the money weight wise. I also NEVER turn it off. With electronic scales, it is best to let them run at least 24hrs continuously to let all the components heat up to a stable temp, which prevents fluctuations. I also have mine where no airflow can affect it.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Jack's My dog on Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:53 am

farmerj wrote:Keep fiddling with the controls or your constant adjusting will statistically make things even worse.

Manufacturing processes have a natural variance to them. In reloading that involves everything you do. The way you pull the handle, return the handle etc.

Manage those variances before you just start tweaking knobs and controls. They both can cause inaccuracies, understanding them is the art.

I am relatively new to the reloading scene and it blew my mind how much of a weight difference the way I was actuating the charger could make.
Jack's My dog

Postby solidgun on Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:36 pm

For me, handgun loads +/- 0.2gr
rifle loads +/-0.05gr

I know it can be wider, but my reason for reloading is precision for rifle and power factor for handgun.
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion. —PROVERBS 18:2
solidgun

Return to Ammunition & Reloading