Ultramax, stay away

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Ultramax, stay away

Postby Vashjir on Fri May 02, 2014 1:26 pm

I saw that this was brought up in several old threads, but I havent seen a thread devoted to it, so here you go.
Ultramax is Gawd awful ammo.
I picked up a box of 9mm because it was pretty cheap, and I figured it was pretty hard to f*** up factory reloads, boy was I wrong. First off the brass is in anywhere from B+ to F condition, I found at least 5 rounds that I won't even attempt shooting in the 250rd pack, deeply gouged brass and discoloration where a case looked ready to split were the most obvious problems. The lead bullets were also cheaply cast, but didn't appear to present a safety hazard.

The rest looked at least shootable, so I brought 100rds down to burnsville pistol range along with a box of federal and a box of remington. Well, bv pistol has a no black powder policy and I felt like I might have been violating it. The plumes of smoke looked like I'd just cast an unsuccessful ballot for pope. It produced thick black smoke, that especially after emptying a 17rd magazine, was quite noticeable both in the air and eventually on by hands and face. I'll say this, bvpistol's ventilation system is excellent and sucked all the smoke out within 15-20 sec, but still I felt the need to apologize to the guys shooting next to me.

As for accuracy, the ultramax is second to none, in that it's slightly less accurate than not having ammo at all. The federal was keeping 3" groups at 25' despite my terrible marksmanship, but the ultramax was closer to 6-7" with fliers outside even that awful radius.

In short, this stuff is crap, I'd sell the rest, but I really can't in good conscience. Let my mistake prevent you from making the same.

I will give it up to my new tp-9, as it managed to fire, cycle and eject all 100 rounds flawlessly.
Vashjir

Re: Ultramax, stay away

Postby Synergy on Fri May 02, 2014 1:43 pm

What does the head stamp look like?
Synergy

Postby Vashjir on Fri May 02, 2014 1:46 pm

All different, some starline, some remmington, some fc, some nickel plated, everything. Looks like it was swept up at a public range.
Vashjir

Postby Rodentman on Fri May 02, 2014 5:12 pm

Vashjir wrote:All different, some starline, some remmington, some fc, some nickel plated, everything. Looks like it was swept up at a public range.

That's very suspicious.
Rodentman

Postby xd ED on Fri May 02, 2014 7:29 pm

The way they tout their stuff, If it were me, I'd contact them and see what kind of customer service they offer....
they make themselves sound impressive:

Ultramax 10 Step Quality Assurance System

Quality Assurance
1. Ultramax machine inspects all previously fired cartridge cases for flaws. Case inspection machines are fully automatic and perform several critical functions. All cases are probed for any foreign objects and pressure tested for cracks or dents. Spent primers are removed, flash holes are cleared of any foreign material, primer pockets are probed for flaws, and finally, primer pockets are reamed to insure compatibility with any new commercial primer.

2. Ultramax liquid washes all previously fired cartridge cases after they have been processed through the case inspection machines to insure the cases, primer pockets and flash holes are clean and devoid of any foreign material. All cases are then tumble dried to a high-luster finish.

3. Ultramax roll sizes all previously fired cartridge cases to meet S.A.A.M.I. specification on new cartridge cases. Roll Sizing is the only method available to insure that the previously fired cartridge cases are sized down to the rim of the case. This results in flawless functioning in semiautomatics and perfect chambering in revolvers.

4. Ultramax selects the optimum powder charges for each caliber and bullet type of ammunition after testing hundreds of loads for accuracy, velocity and pressure.

5. Ultramax selects powders for each type of ammunition that fill cartridge cases as close to capacity as possible. This step makes double or over-charges impossible.

6. Ultramax loads all ammunition on fully automatic loading machines which are preset to S.A.A.M.I. specifications for priming depth, pressure and overall cartridge length.

7. All loading machines are equipped with state of the art electronic safety switches to insure powder charge accuracy to within a half grain of powder. If the powder charge is not within specifications, the switch will automatically shut off the loading machine and will indicate a powder charge problem has occurred. We check all safety switches three times per day for switch failure.

8. Ultramax has our own indoor underground range for testing. We test fire samples prior to starting a production run of ammunition, and every run is tested daily. Any change in powder lot numbers or primer type is tested before continuing the production run. Random samples are tested with the targets, chronograph and pressure gauge results retained as permanent records.

9. We require that all ammunition pass a thorough visual inspection process, which includes 100% chamber size testing to ensure proper chambering.

10. Finally, lot numbers are assigned to each production run to identify the following: date ammunition was loaded, person who loaded the ammunition, machine used to load the ammunition, powder type, primer type, bullet loaded and inspector who approved the ammunition. This lot number appears on each individual box of ammunition and the case pack.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby JTapper on Fri May 02, 2014 8:54 pm

I had a similar experience. Fired 5-6 rounds and put it away.

I figured I'd give it a shot based on price, and the fact that the company I work for supplies them lead. I won't be buying a second time, and will have the rounds sitting in my stock for quite some time I'd imagine.
JTapper

Postby Vashjir on Fri May 02, 2014 10:59 pm

Rodentman wrote:
Vashjir wrote:All different, some starline, some remmington, some fc, some nickel plated, everything. Looks like it was swept up at a public range.

That's very suspicious.

I thought so too. On closer inspection several cartridges appear to have multiple extractor marks, which means that they weren't even 'once fired' brass, but reloaded multiple times.

Maybe we've found the destination for Bills' brass pit.

xd ED wrote:The way they tout their stuff, If it were me, I'd contact them and see what kind of customer service they offer....
they make themselves sound impressive:

Ultramax 10 Step Quality Assurance System

http://youtu.be/a5dpBpaFiMo?t=53s

Edit, even though its only like 35$ worth of ammo left I might call monday to see if they actually stand behind their product. From the care taken in manufacturing it I doubt they will, but you never know. Always worth giving someone the benefit of the doubt... once.
Vashjir

Postby FJ540 on Sat May 03, 2014 1:53 am

I got some ultramax back in 2009 that was pretty decent .223. I wonder if the supply crunch has just gotten so bad that they use whatever they can get?
FJ540

Postby cs tunes on Sat May 03, 2014 6:25 am

FJ540 wrote:I got some ultramax back in 2009 that was pretty decent .223. I wonder if the supply crunch has just gotten so bad that they use whatever they can get?

I too have used them in 223 and was always very pleased with their ammo. In fact it was the most accurate ammo I ran through that particular rifle.
cs tunes

Postby smurfman on Sat May 03, 2014 6:32 am

Like FJ540, I would guess the current component climate has the company scratching for product. I've shot a lot of their ammo in 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 38 SPl, 223 Rem, and 308 Win without a problem. I shot a bunch of their 115 gr FMJ 9mm last weekend and did not notice anything odd about it but then I had no reason to do so. The all went bang and nothing looked or felt obviously wrong. I have a couple of boxes still left, I'll have to look through them and see how they compare.

Otherwise, a lot of 52 gr HP Ultramax in 223 is some of the most accurate ammo I found for my Rem 700- factory or handload. I found it several years ago and stocked up what I could back then. I'm down to my last box and need to get cracking on finding a similar handload. It also shoot pretty well in my AR-15 though not spectacular. Probably me rather than the gun or ammo though. Everything else was no better or worse than anything else I found.
smurfman

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sat May 03, 2014 6:38 am

After viewing this topic, I wonder why people are so dead set against shooting reloads, but they will shoot factory reloads with all kinds of false advertising associated with their manufacturing processes, which they never follow long term as proven by O.P.

If I know the person and how he reloads, I will and have used his reloads.
I expect others to examine my practices as well, before shooting mine, as they have.
Most of us got into reloading to save money, shoot more, and make better quality ammo overall, than using re-manufactured junk.(And yes, I used to re-manufacture ammo with my Class 6 license, but on an quality potential, not a quantity potential.)

Now let the Sh!t Storm begin on how bad reloads are.............................
OldmanFCSA

Postby Rodentman on Sat May 03, 2014 6:50 am

I am always wary of my own reloads, especially for a new recipe. Once it's established and "in my book" I am quite confident that if I check the brass properly they will function as expected. If I change any die settings, well that adds to the wary factor, and I am sure to keep notes.
Rodentman

Postby Vashjir on Sat May 03, 2014 2:59 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:After viewing this topic, I wonder why people are so dead set against shooting reloads, but they will shoot factory reloads with all kinds of false advertising associated with their manufacturing processes, which they never follow long term as proven by O.P.

If I know the person and how he reloads, I will and have used his reloads.
I expect others to examine my practices as well, before shooting mine, as they have.
Most of us got into reloading to save money, shoot more, and make better quality ammo overall, than using re-manufactured junk.(And yes, I used to re-manufacture ammo with my Class 6 license, but on an quality potential, not a quantity potential.)

Now let the Sh!t Storm begin on how bad reloads are.............................

I have nothing against reloads if they're made to a high quality standard, from brass fired a known number of times. The facts that these were fired from 1-5+ times, and then loaded with ******* powder are my main issues. I'd reload myself, but the barriers to entry are fairly steep compared to the payoff, and thats when you can find powder, primers and bullets that work with your loads.
Vashjir

Postby crbutler on Sat May 03, 2014 10:29 pm

Last time I used Ultramax was with a bunch of .223 ammo back in the early 00's. The stuff worked great in my AR's, and was more accurate in my rifle than the Remington match ammo that I had at that point.

Obviously, either things changed, or someone stuffed a bunch of odds and ends together. I will say that with lead bullets, its not the powder that causes that black cloud- its the bullet lube. I would suspect that the cheap bullet lube is your culprit for the black powder effect. (actually, black powder has a rather pretty white gray color, but it smells pretty skunky due to the sulfur.)
crbutler

Postby IDPA Shooter on Sun May 04, 2014 11:04 am

I had the same experience as the op with Ultramax 9mm a few years back. Smokey and dirty, it was awful and I was glad I just had a few boxes to burn thru
Bob Jahn NRA CRSO, IDPA 5 Gunner
USCCA Certified Training Counselor
NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun, Advanced Pistol Instructor
Massad Ayoob Group Instructor
Defense Training Intl (John Farnam) Instructor

http://www.rejfirearmstraining.com
IDPA Shooter

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading