Calling Seismic Sam- I think I frigged up

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Calling Seismic Sam- I think I frigged up

Postby 45Badger on Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:09 pm

Sam,

I mixed H4895 and IMR4895 :oops: . Noticed they were different shades of gray and figured, "Must be newer jug". Then proceeded to mix well for uniform color :oops: :oops: . Made 20 rounds, and noticed my IMR jar on top of my moon clip pile (not where it belongs!) and realized my error :D .

I know the smart thing to do is dump it and have a small bonfire starter. Then I started thinking and reading my Hornady manual. For 165-168 bullets, these powders make a nice load at 41.6 and 41.7gr. Max on both powders is around 43.3.

Should I do the smart thing or can I proceed and shoot these puppies?
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Re: Calling Seismic Sam- I think I frigged up

Postby MNIceMan on Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:07 pm

MN DNR FAS Instructor
NRA Life Member
"We all have our own Green Mile to walk. How will yours be?"
MNIceMan

Postby noylj on Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:38 pm

I find the two are about as close as the lot-to-lot variation of either one, so mixing, to me, is not THAT big a deal. You may be a few tenths of a grain over or under max load now, but it will have little to no effect on a pet load that is not max.
The question is—did you mix it well?
noylj

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:56 pm

Mix it well - use it as H4895 with reduced loads.

NEVER, NEVER, admit to doing this again, especially on a public forum.

Damm noobies !!!! (I've done something similar, spilled primers of two kinds together in an auto-filler.)
OldmanFCSA

Postby farmerj on Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:01 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:Mix it well - use it as H4895 with reduced loads.

Damm noobies !!!! (I've done something similar, spilled primers of two kinds together in an auto-filler.)

So you are actually going to advise mixing two different manufacturer's product of different chemical composition into a third product of unknown composition with the possibility of blowing up in your face.

Right. I don't care how close or similar they might be according to a nonstandard chart.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:07 pm

farmerj wrote:
OldmanFCSA wrote:Mix it well - use it as H4895 with reduced loads.

So you are actually going to advise mixing two different manufacturer's product of different chemical composition into a third product of unknown composition with the possibility of blowing up in your face.

Right. I don't care how close or similar they might be according to a nonstandard chart.

In this case, yes, because the powders are so similar. In another pair of powders the answer would be definitely NO.
These powders are VERY similar, which is why I am allowing it as long as it is well mixed and the hotter powder reloading data is used with reduced loadings. Otherwise, pour it on the lawn for fertilizer. Most powders Lot-to-Lot variation is greater in variability than these two powders are. I've got some H5010 in two different lots that have a 11% variance between lots, enough to damage a firearm if same data was used for reloading.

If you want to eliminate all possibilities of error, pour it out on lawn.

This situation is like H110 & WIN296, or HP38 & WIN231, so similar - just different packaging.
OldmanFCSA

Postby 45Badger on Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:14 am

Thanks guys. Gun is an LTR. Not worth screwing it up over $3 in powder and 30 minutes of charging, seating, and (now) pulling.

Real lesson learned- repeatability. I have a process, including spot where I retrieve and replace powder jars. Failed to put open jar back in it's spot. Grabbed next in line and oops!
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Postby OldmanFCSA on Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:59 am

Good PROCESS beats any plan.

I store powder container behind press that I am using. When done with that operation and documentation of load has been completed, the powder container goes back into my powder storage area. This PROCESS works for me.

As for your mixed powder, how much do you have? I could use it in my 7mmTCU handgun cartridges, near perfect powder for that application.

By the way, "Where is Seismic Sam?" Has anyone in the reloading field heard from him lately?
OldmanFCSA

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:30 am

I'm still here. Just decided to tone down my act a few months back, and also it's SOOO much easier to just say "STFU and go see Oldman!!!" rather than roasting the n00b and having them for dinner. You point about PROCESS is important, and the rule is that you ONLY!!! allow one container of powder on the reloading bench at one time. I concur that the burn rates are so similar that you can use the stuff up with midrange loads, although it sounds like you didn't pollute two whole pounds of powder by making this mistake. If you want to sprinkle it on the lawn evenly and not to heavily, it makes good fertilizer.

I've been busy with my 9x25 SSX Wildcat, and after many false starts have gotten a 90 grain XTP bullet up to 2100 FPS with a 6" barrel, and the brass is holding up fine. The muzzle blast and recoil are definitely up there in the Shock & Awe scale...
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby crbutler on Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:14 pm

You can certainly talk to Hodgdon (and I would rather than take it from someone on the internet), but from what I recall talking with them all of the IMR and H number series powders that have identical numbers are essentially the same, made at the same plant and all, its just a lot to lot type difference- they basically told me (I needed H4350, but had 8# of IMR 4350 for a previously worked up load in my .416 Rigby) to drop the weight 2-5 grains, and work back up to matching velocity. (this is with a charge weight of 95 grains.) velocities matched at 2 grains less with IMR in that gun. Remember that Hodgdon is now basically distributing all IMR, Hodgdon and Winchester powders now, so they probably have a good handle on this stuff.

In essence, they said they are the same, just work up like you are supposed to with any new lot package. I would be very careful with 2 lots mixed about going towards the top of the load chart, but with a mid range load, not really an issue.
crbutler

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:28 pm

crbutler wrote:You can certainly talk to Hodgdon (and I would rather than take it from someone on the internet), but from what I recall talking with them all of the IMR and H number series powders that have identical numbers are essentially the same, made at the same plant and all, its just a lot to lot type difference- they basically told me (I needed H4350, but had 8# of IMR 4350 for a previously worked up load in my .416 Rigby) to drop the weight 2-5 grains, and work back up to matching velocity. (this is with a charge weight of 95 grains.) velocities matched at 2 grains less with IMR in that gun. Remember that Hodgdon is now basically distributing all IMR, Hodgdon and Winchester powders now, so they probably have a good handle on this stuff.

In essence, they said they are the same, just work up like you are supposed to with any new lot package. I would be very careful with 2 lots mixed about going towards the top of the load chart, but with a mid range load, not really an issue.

IMR powders come out of Canada, and IIRC, the Hodgdon "Extreme" powders come from ADI in Australia.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Return to Ammunition & Reloading