RELOADING TRAINING 2014-2015

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

RELOADING TRAINING 2014-2015

Postby OldmanFCSA on Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:50 am

Well everybody, the Summer chores are done, the firewood has been cut, the pool has been drained and prepped for Winter, the snowplow is on, the rear wheels won't come off my snowplow truck. the RV has been Winterized, the stakes are in the ground for marking the route of the driveway (helpful for where to plow snow), and I've slowly been cleaning my shop. (It still needs work as it is difficult for me to throw things out that I may use later.)

I'm ready for training those who have a desire to learn reloading. I have been updating and adding setups for more cartridges on my two Dillon 550's and have been updating RCBS RockChuckers with Hornady quick-die-setups (forgot the name already) for quick die change-over. I have 550 Dillon setups for 38Special, 357Magnum, 9mm Luger, 40S&W, 45Auto, 44Special, 44RemMag, 223/5.56X45, 6mmX223*, 243Win*, 6mmRem*, 7mmTC/U*, 7mm-08Rem*, 280Rem*, 7mmRemMag*, 308Win, 300WSM*, 30-06Springfield, and adding others as I see fit. I start training on Single-Stage presses and upon completion of that training I will train on the Dillon 550 for those that request such.

I have been offering most of my recent students the possibility of them using my equipment as I will not wear it out, as long as proper respect for equipment and proper loading techniques are utilized. I also have reloading equipment for sale, not the latest and greatest, but an economical way to get started for minimal cost.

So, anyone desiring reloading training, or if you lnow someone requesting reloading training, my training sessions are available again FREE of charge for training. I do charge for components used and a small fee for extended use of equipment as stated above, but do ask for a donation to my heating fund as the floor heat has been turned on again which maintains a very comfortable 65 degrees, perfect for keeping the feet warm and the air temp correct for working while wearing a light shirt. Refrigerator, stove, oven, microwave, washer & dryer, along with a bathroom (cold water only), are available for those who need extras. Those who bring deprimed brass, 300 piece max, will have it cleaned using the SS Pin process as time allows (bring it the day before, or USPS mailing it, and it will be done and dryed before your reloading session for a small fee). Chairs and a recliner are available (if you get to the recliner before MurphyT claims it). Reference material is available for review, but I prefer you purchase and bring yours along as it will be used during training. R.T.F.M. = Read The Finest Manuals you can find or afford.

My requirements are simple. I require a scanned copy of your drivers license be e-mailed to: OldmanFCSA@aol.com prior to scheduling a reloading session. I use this for identification purposes only (if you want to black-out the DL number, so be it, but I do require a complete address, as you will be given mine along with directions on how to get here. I do charge extra for pulling people out of ditches, I.E. BigDog58.

I have been receiving referrals from SeismicSam and greatly appreciate his advice on most topics. My training style is different than most in that all questions are answered, and that I will be asking you more questions to ensure that you have the proper grasp on the techniques of reloading safely. My style works, as has been voiced in the reviews posted above. I prefer one-on-one training, but will do multiples of up to 3 at once, This is to ensure you get all the attention you need to properly learn.

OldmanFCSA@aol.com
715-294-2455 shop

Note again: If distance of travel is a hindrance, overnight stay with meals can be provided for the $75 fee as set by my wife. This will require a prior approval process. If anyone has an issue with dogs, let me know in advance.
OldmanFCSA

Re: RELOADING TRAINING 2014-2015

Postby andrewP on Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:10 am

OldmanFCSA wrote:Hornady quick-die-setups (forgot the name already) for quick die change-over.

Ooh, I can answer this one! Lock-n-Load bushings! (Convenient, aren't they?)

When/if I ever branch out beyond 9mm and .380 ACP into loading rifle cartridges, I'll be making an appointment with you. :)
andrewP

Postby OldmanFCSA on Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:20 pm

andrewP wrote:
OldmanFCSA wrote:Hornady quick-die-setups (forgot the name already) for quick die change-over.

Ooh, I can answer this one! Lock-n-Load bushings! (Convenient, aren't they?)

When/if I ever branch out beyond 9mm and .380 ACP into loading rifle cartridges, I'll be making an appointment with you. :)

Yes they are convenient, and cheaper if you buy the RCBS conversion package to get 6 bushing and one adapter. I like how quick they lock in, and the ease of changing once set.
I also have the Lee press with their bushings, but the bushing lockup is not as nice as the Hornady product. This product would also work in the LEE press that has the 50BMG option as the top of that press is 1.25-12(14?) also, and would accept the adapter easily.

E-mail me when you are ready - or call and leave a message with return call number.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Bessy on Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:38 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:I also have the Lee press with their bushings, but the bushing lockup is not as nice as the Hornady product.

Man, this is weird, I'm currently using a hornady LNL progressive and a lee classic cast with the hornady lnl bushing system. I have not had positive experience over time. I've found that the LNL bushings tend to wear out and come loose. I've started to replace. or double up the O-rings that the bushings ship with to try to combat the problem. Now I have tighten them down with a wrench to get them stay put it's a total pita. I was actually hoping for the experience with the lee system... but if it's worse then hornady's then screw that. Maybe I need to look at changing out my female bushings.... I'm glad they are working out for you though.
In Soviet Russia program executes you!
Bessy

Postby lizard55033 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:48 pm

What book or books do you require people to buy and read for reference material that your training bases on?
lizard55033

Postby OldmanFCSA on Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:21 pm

lizard55033 wrote:What book or books do you require people to buy and read for reference material that your training bases on?

Any quality reloading manual like Hornady, Speer, Nosler, Sierra or Lymans will do as a starter. Preferably buy two or three as I will show you HOW they are different in charge weights and will then explain the WHY they are different.

Main thing is to actually read the introductory sections of the book before actually looking for load data. Read and try to understand what's actually happening inside the chamber when it goes BANG. This is a good time to write down questions to ask me during your training session.

I train all day, or at least whatever it takes to make you feel comfortable with setting up reloading on your own. Repeat training days may be required if you are a slow learner or have lots of off-topic questions, main thing is I want you to learn properly so you can reload in a SAFE manner and know WHY you are doing it correctly.
OldmanFCSA

Postby OldmanFCSA on Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:26 pm

Bessy wrote:
OldmanFCSA wrote:I also have the Lee press with their bushings, but the bushing lockup is not as nice as the Hornady product.

Man, this is weird, I'm currently using a hornady LNL progressive and a lee classic cast with the hornady lnl bushing system. I have not had positive experience over time. I've found that the LNL bushings tend to wear out and come loose. I've started to replace. or double up the O-rings that the bushings ship with to try to combat the problem. Now I have tighten them down with a wrench to get them stay put it's a total pita. I was actually hoping for the experience with the lee system... but if it's worse then hornady's then screw that. Maybe I need to look at changing out my female bushings.... I'm glad they are working out for you though.

I have extra LNL female bushings if you need one. I am curious as to which part is actually wearing out - male or female bushings ???
Do you want to swap LEE presses? and include whatever bushings we have for the press?
OldmanFCSA

Postby floydster on Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:19 pm

Hornady will send you stainless steel spacers for under the bushings if they work loose when working the press.
Just give them a call.
Floydster
floydster

Postby Bessy on Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:08 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:
Bessy wrote:

I have extra LNL female bushings if you need one. I am curious as to which part is actually wearing out - male or female bushings ???
Do you want to swap LEE presses? and include whatever bushings we have for the press?

I believe it is the female bushings, I have some replacements coming from hornady. When I talked to them... they mentioned something along the lines of having a bad batch. when i swap them out we will see what the deal is. I appreciate the offer, but no need to swap presses, I can just replace the bushing. I'll let you know what I find.

Keep in mind my LNL is over 5 years old, and I've been loading 10k-20k a year on it..... so it's not exactly a low volume operation.
In Soviet Russia program executes you!
Bessy

Postby Deputyhiro on Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:03 pm

Bessy wrote: I've found that the LNL bushings tend to wear out and come loose.

I am having that problem too.
It is better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it.
Deputyhiro

Postby grimbeaver on Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:20 pm

I will definitely be interested in some training after the holidays. Right now interested in reloading 38/357 and plan on sticking with a single stage for the time being. Just started looking at the options out there. What's the general consensus on the Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic kits? And is the "deluxe" one worth it? Hate to buy the manual and then turn around and buy the kit and have two manuals. Though suppose I could buy the Lynman book first and then if I buy the Hornady kit I will simply have another book to reference.
grimbeaver

Postby OldmanFCSA on Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:47 pm

Let me know when you are ready for Reloading Training.
I can get you started safely with full instruction on Single Stage presses or on my Dillon 550 progressive.
I've got most calibers covered.
Just let me know when and which cartridges.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Jack's My dog on Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:48 pm

grimbeaver wrote:I will definitely be interested in some training after the holidays. Right now interested in reloading 38/357 and plan on sticking with a single stage for the time being. Just started looking at the options out there. What's the general consensus on the Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic kits? And is the "deluxe" one worth it? Hate to buy the manual and then turn around and buy the kit and have two manuals. Though suppose I could buy the Lynman book first and then if I buy the Hornady kit I will simply have another book to reference.

I purchased the deluxe kit and have been happy with it. However the digital scale that it comes with is suspect in my opinion, as I have had the same charge get different weights on multiple "weigh-in". I have also checked it against my RCBS beam scale and found it to be off. Especially when you start throwing larger loads. My suggestions are worth less than the average internet advice, but I would recommend looking at getting a beam scale in addition to the deluxe kit if you decide to go that route.
Jack's My dog

Postby OldmanFCSA on Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:31 am

Based on another's recent posting, I need to raise my prices for my reloading classes.

I believe a 400% price increase is in order to be competitive but understand my class duration hours are open-ended.

Now let me figure 400% times FREE = .............................................. Still FREE.

But I do ask for a DONATION, Need to increase that by 400% also ........... Still a Donation.

What am I doing wrong? Must live in "God's Country", where cheese is cheese, men are men, and a man's word and handshake still means something.
OldmanFCSA

Postby old guy on Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:01 am

Sounds good Doug specialy the last part.

John
old guy

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading