Aluminum Ammo

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Aluminum Ammo

Postby LePetomane on Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:25 pm

Does anyone use aluminum cased ammo? Mrs. LePetomane stuffed my stocking with some Blazer .38 Special with aluminum casing. I know Bill's doesn't allow it probably because they can't separate it from the loose brass, but I was going to shoot it outside. I wouldn't think it would hurt the gun, would it?
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Re: Aluminum Ammo

Postby 870TC on Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:28 pm

I've shot a bunch of it, no problems. At one time they had some corrosion problems with the aluminum turning white and crusty if it got wet, they solved that problem many years ago.
870TC

Postby Erud on Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:19 pm

It's fine, just can't reload the cases.
Erud

Postby LePetomane on Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:39 pm

Thanks for the replies.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby SkyRock on Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:15 am

LePetomane wrote:Does anyone use aluminum cased ammo? Mrs. LePetomane stuffed my stocking with some Blazer .38 Special with aluminum casing.

I like to shoot it at "lost brass" matches (where you can't pick up your brass after shooting). I've been using it for years. The guns (Glocks) don't know the difference.

I know Bill's doesn't allow it probably because they can't separate it from the loose brass,

Really? :o Humbug! :roll:

...but I was going to shoot it outside. I wouldn't think it would hurt the gun, would it?

Should be just fine! :)
SkyRock

Postby smurfman on Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:35 pm

Same positive experiences as the others. I police up my brass and toss it in with the other aluminum for recycle. I turn in aluminum myself, everything else is put on the curb. I don't get much aluminum in a year but it is enough for a couple pounds of powder.
smurfman

Postby MXGreg on Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:06 pm

The only problem I've experienced with aluminum cases was when we ran some .38 special shorts through my girlfriend's revolver and then shot some aluminum cased rounds. The aluminum cases were VERY hard to eject. Last time out we ran normal length brass followed by aluminum, no problems.
MXGreg

Postby smurfman on Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:13 pm

MXGreg wrote:The only problem I've experienced with aluminum cases was when we ran some .38 special shorts through my girlfriend's revolver and then shot some aluminum cased rounds. The aluminum cases were VERY hard to eject. Last time out we ran normal length brass followed by aluminum, no problems.

What is a ".38 special short"? that is a new one to me. Or do you mean either of the the 38 Colt cartridges?
smurfman

Postby Pat Cannon on Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:54 pm

I've shot it at Bill's. The thing about revolvers is you can discreetly dump the empties into the trash and nobody has to know. To be on the safe side, have a box from some regular brass cased ammo in your bag to show the guy if he asks to see your ammo. :)
Pat Cannon

Postby Tronster on Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:15 pm

I have a bunch of aluminum 9mm that I use for winter range plinking when I don't feel like digging brass cases out of the snow and ice. No issues with it.
Tronster

Aluminum Ammo

Postby xd ED on Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:12 pm

Pat Cannon wrote:I've shot it at Bill's. The thing about revolvers is you can discreetly dump the empties into the trash and nobody has to know. To be on the safe side, have a box from some regular brass cased ammo in your bag to show the guy if he asks to see your ammo. :)

I actually got a pass with some aluminum ammo at Bill's once because I was shooting a revolver. They explained all the issues with it getting mixed with brass and told be to be sure to dump it in the trash.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Pat Cannon on Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:41 pm

xd ED wrote:
Pat Cannon wrote:I've shot it at Bill's. The thing about revolvers is you can discreetly dump the empties into the trash and nobody has to know. To be on the safe side, have a box from some regular brass cased ammo in your bag to show the guy if he asks to see your ammo. :)

I actually got a pass with some aluminum ammo at Bill's once because I was shooting a revolver. They explained all the issues with it getting mixed with brass and told be to be sure to dump it in the trash.

Ha, it didn't occur to me to try the honest approach.
Pat Cannon

Postby MXGreg on Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:54 pm

smurfman wrote:
MXGreg wrote:The only problem I've experienced with aluminum cases was when we ran some .38 special shorts through my girlfriend's revolver and then shot some aluminum cased rounds. The aluminum cases were VERY hard to eject. Last time out we ran normal length brass followed by aluminum, no problems.

What is a ".38 special short"? that is a new one to me. Or do you mean either of the the 38 Colt cartridges?

MXGreg

Postby smurfman on Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:20 pm

Thanks, I have not seen them before.
smurfman

Postby northerner1 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:41 pm

The HK manuals say not to use aluminum casings in HK handguns. See page 14 (red letters near bottom of page):

http://hk-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/VP ... 122014.pdf
northerner1

Return to Ammunition & Reloading