Lil Gun ?

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Lil Gun ?

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:59 am

Been looking for powder for 44 mag using Hornady 240 gn XTP bullets. Gun stop had Lil Gun and IMR 4227 in stock so ran down this morning and grabbed some. From what I have read on Lil Gun, burns pretty hot. Have not loaded with this so asking for opinions, suggestions on both of these powders. Will work up loads as usaual but if there is something real important I need to know, would appreciate the info. Thanks.
Bearcatrp

Re: Lil Gun ?

Postby Seismic Sam on Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:33 pm

If you don't have a reloading manual that lists both Lil' Gun and the other powder, maybe you should better go buy one before you shoot your eye out!! Speer #14 lists Lil' gun loads for the 44 mag below H110/296, but only by a grain or so. As far as hotter, that could mean burning rate, max pressure, or muzzle velocity. Which one are you referring to???
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:56 pm

Already read the load data before I posted. Hornady reload manual shows 14.6 gr to 22.2 grains. Hodgdon online data shows 22.5 to 24.5 grains, 4227 is listed as 22.0 to 24.0. Checked a few web site that talked about lil gun and most talked about how hot it was. Lil gun is #77 on the burn chart. Already worked up loads for 240 gr SWC's but now time to do the XTP's. From what I have been reading, H110 seems the prefered powder for 44 mag but haven't found any of that. When I saw gun stop had lil gun and 4227, figured go grab some before that's sold out. Was just looking for folks who have used these before and get there opinions on it.
Bearcatrp

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:15 am

Fair enough! H110/296 are the staples for 44 mag, almost to the point of not bothering to buy anything else. Lil'
Gun is THE powder for the S&W 500, and a few other big magnums. It can be used in a ridiculous number of calibers, and considering it was only designed for .410 shotgun loads, it's a fairly versatile magnum big bore handgun powder.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby aht_six on Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:54 am

I have limited experience with Lil' Gun, I tried it in a few .500 S&W Mag loads, and the results were promising.

Some claim that Lil' Gun burns exceptionally hot and will cause accelerated forcing cone erosion. I think most of the claims involve Freedom Arms .454 Casull's or .500 S&W Mag revolvers. An internet search will reveal a fair amount of discussion on the subject.

I also had one LGS clerk/handgun reloading expert tell me he had repeatedly sold replacement .500 S&W Mag revolvers to people that had blown up their revolvers with Lil' Gun. Personally, I'm more than a little skeptical about his claims.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
aht_six

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:23 am

I am with aht six on this one, and call Boolshyte on blowing up a 500 Smith. In the development of the Smith 500, the first component they made was just the cylinder, and they deliberately tested it to destruction. It took a 100,000 PSI load to blow the cylinder. As far as throat erosion, yes it happens with a gun shooting a cartridge with a SAAMI pressure rating of 65,000 PSI. As another footnote, they even had worse throat erosion with their 460 mag, and had to develop a microfinishing technique to polish the throat so smooth that the hot gases "couldn't find anything to get ahold of".
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:59 am

Appreciate the replies. Yeah, had read about some folks replacing barrels early. Don't plan on loading hot as the reloads are for my Ruger Alaskan (2-1/2 inch barrel). Will be above 44 special and low on the regular 44 mag loads. More of a P load for 44 special using regular 44 mag brass.
Last edited by Bearcatrp on Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bearcatrp

Postby Seismic Sam on Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:12 am

Does that 2" snubbie Ruger Alaskan come with a weenie fork off the end of the barrel??? :P :P :P
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Bearcatrp on Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:52 am

Seismic Sam wrote:Does that 2" snubbie Ruger Alaskan come with a weenie fork off the end of the barrel??? :P :P :P

Comes with complete grill to cook whatever I shoot. When shooting factory 240 gn loads, the fireball is pretty big. Surprisingly, recoil isn't that bad on full loads. Just wish Ruger would make one with a 3 inch barrel. There is a new redhawk with a 2-3/4 inch barrel compared to the Alaskan with 2-1/2 inch barrel (I posted wrong length above). 3 inch would be perfect. Will be interesting reloading for XTP bullets. Settled with IMR 700-X @9 grains for the SWC's. Less fireball and bark than tightgroup.
Bearcatrp

Postby aht_six on Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:37 am

Bearcatrp wrote:Comes with complete grill to cook whatever I shoot. When shooting factory 240 gn loads, the fireball is pretty big.....

The Mrs bought me a 4 inch 500 S&W mag for our 35th wedding anniversary, it's 4 inches including the muzzle compensator, the barrel itself is only 3 inches.

The first time she watched me shoot it was with some fairly hot 350 grain Lil' Gun loads. As soon as I shot, she started hollering for me to stop. She told me "something wrong...there's a fire coming out all over". :lol: :lol:
aht_six

Postby Bearcatrp on Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:53 am

aht_six wrote:
Bearcatrp wrote:Comes with complete grill to cook whatever I shoot. When shooting factory 240 gn loads, the fireball is pretty big.....

The Mrs bought me a 4 inch 500 S&W mag for our 35th wedding anniversary, it's 4 inches including the muzzle compensator, the barrel itself is only 3 inches.

The first time she watched me shoot it was with some fairly hot 350 grain Lil' Gun loads. As soon as I shot, she started hollering for me to stop. She told me "something wrong...there's a fire coming out all over". :lol: :lol:

Holly ****. 500 in a 4 inch has to ring the hands pretty good, especially with hot loads. Bet you were laughing on her comment. Try to get a pic of that fire breathing dragon next time you shoot or a video clip. You would need tin foil to cover your target to keep from burning it. If Ruger does get off there ass and build a 3 inch Alaskan, might consider the 480. From what I hear, shoots pretty good in current one. Post a pic of that beast if you can. BTW, how far from max load did you load your reload? I just worked up some loads this morning for my 44 and there is allot of powder, to the point of being compressed. Stayed 2 grains from max and worked backwards. Will find out next week when I go to the range to test them out.
Bearcatrp

Postby aht_six on Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:10 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:Holly ****. 500 in a 4 inch has to ring the hands pretty good, especially with hot loads. Bet you were laughing on her comment. Try to get a pic of that fire breathing dragon next time you shoot or a video clip. You would need tin foil to cover your target to keep from burning it. If Ruger does get off there ass and build a 3 inch Alaskan, might consider the 480. From what I hear, shoots pretty good in current one. Post a pic of that beast if you can. BTW, how far from max load did you load your reload? I just worked up some loads this morning for my 44 and there is allot of powder, to the point of being compressed. Stayed 2 grains from max and worked backwards. Will find out next week when I go to the range to test them out.

I was using a 350 JHP bullet with Lil' Gun, according to the Lyman manual I was 1grain below max, 2.6 gains below the max load listed in the Hornady manual.

The 500 mag is a big heavy piece. In the second picture, I put it next to a 686 and 629 for size comparison.

aht_six

Postby Bearcatrp on Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:37 pm

That is one big friggin gun. Saw a video of a guy shooting one in a longer barrel one handed. Dam near split hit head open.
Bearcatrp

Postby gbono23 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:10 pm

50 cal.jpg

Depends on the load, I've got a .500 with the 8" barrel, and have shot it one handed! It was a light factory load with 325 gr bullets. I reload with 350 gr JHP, and 32.6 gr of N110! No way I'll try shooting them one handed, at least not for a while until I'm comfortable with them. Even with the longer barrel, I get fire everywhere, makes people stop and look! The sound is awesome, and I've stood behind and to the side when a friend shot it and could feel the shock wave!
gbono23

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:03 pm

Yeah, that's kind of a funny thing about those big magnum handguns - when you shoot it. the noise doesn't seem so bad, because you are 180 degrees exactly behind the gun. Off to the side, people think you're a nut job.

Oh wait, I AM a nut job......

Getting back to the point, however, I prefer shooting 1 handed on both my DE50 and 500 because the recoil doesn't bring the gun so far back towards my face. With the 500, and pretty stiff loads, the tendons in my right arm ache for the 1st ten rounds, and then they stretch out and it gets better. Back before the Obama/Sandy Hook famine, I'd shoot 100 rounds of either cartridge to keep my arm in shape.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading