Bench mount for GemPro 250

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Bench mount for GemPro 250

Postby Mauser98 on Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:23 pm

A while back I was looking for a quality digital scale that wasn't going to run me $1000 or more. I knew that the terms "quality" and "cheap" don't usually belong in the same sentence, so I was aware of the obstacle ahead of me. I did a bit of research, read a lot of reviews, some even on this forum, and came to the conclusion to try the GemPro 250. When it arrived, upon handling the scale, I noticed how light this thing was. I also noticed that it had 4 leveling feet/screws. This last part seemed odd to me. I remembered back to my first geometry class, and that 3 points make a plane. I'm also a land surveyor by trade, and as far as I know, they don’t make 4 legged tripods, or would that be a quadpod? :? It just wouldn't work right, so why did they think 4 leveling screws was a good idea...I wish I could answer that. :hmm:

So, I just completed a move to a new house :yippee: , and came across a couple of older tri-brachs that the optical plummet had failed on, and instead of throwing them in the trash at work, I kept them, for what ever reason. I had just been using my scale earlier in the week, and griping about the leveling of the scale, and how it is so damn light that brushing my cuff on it would cause it to skid across the bench. This of course causing it to lose its level, and having to go through the leveling process again, and checking the calibration as well. :badmood: The dim light in my head flickered a bit with a possible use for the tri-brachs I had saved from the trash heap. :doh:

TB1.jpg

Tri-brachs, as you can see, have 3 leveling screws. The level bubble is also more sensitive than the one supplied on the scale, so I could achieve a better level possibly.

The first order was to cut of and face the brass adapter. Hack saw at first, and then chucked it in the lathe and faced it. I'm no good with parting yet, so I didn't attempt that.

Insert.jpg

After cleaning up the brass adapter, it sat almost flush with top of the puck.

Puck and Insert 1.jpg

To avoid a possible interference between the 2 parts, I faced the puck in the lathe also.

Puck 1.jpg

Clearance between the 2 parts

Puck Insert and Plate.jpg

I then cut an aluminum plate to roughly the size of the scale and drilled a center hole for mounting to the brass adapter, and 4 mounting holes. The mounting holes will go where the old leveling feet used to (For anyone contemplating a similar project, the leveling feet threads are 3mm. The pattern is 3” wide by 4.4” deep, metric here didn't seem to make sense). I test fit the scale, and then polished it up nice and shiny.

Polished Plate 1.jpg

Then I mounted it to the brass adapter with a 1/4x20 flat head, countersunk in the plate.

Plate 1.jpg

Then just mounted the scale to the plate.

Complete 1.jpg

Complete 2.jpg

It's a bit tall now, but definitely sturdier, and much easier to level. I also don't feel like I'm trying to work with an ancient artifact when I handle it now. At some point I may drill a hole in the bench and use a bolt to secure this down to it, as it's threaded 7/8x14 for attachment to the tripods.

I think to reduce the height, I'm going to take the other tri-brach I have apart at the leveling screws, and see if I can fashion a plate to mount there instead. I'd have to figure a way to mount the bullseye level to the new plate, but I don't think that's too big a chore. Or just use the level on the back of the scale and call it good, who knows.

Anyway, thought I'd share one of my weekend projects.

BTW - I use this scale for weighing bullets, cases and primers. I don't use it for powder often. When weighing bullets and the like, I am usually standing at the bench, so the height doesn't bother me for now. We'll see how that goes over time.
Mauser98

Re: Bench mount for GemPro 250

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:47 am

Nice job. Looks great. I purchased a Gem Pro 250 to replace my POS RCBS pocket scale for reloading. Accurate scale for sure. Enjoy measuring to 100th of a grain. Can't go wrong using this to measure powder.
Bearcatrp

Postby hopkins on Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:57 pm

1/100 of a grain?? How many little pieces do you have to crumble each bit of powder into to in order to achieve that separation?? I know that from time to time I get picky, but Wow.
hopkins

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:52 am

After using my gempro for a bit now, am comfortable using it to measure every round. Got me thinking about 100th of a grain and regular scales that measure to 10th. Example: you need a charge of 24.4. With a regular scale, you do not know how close you are to 24.5 or 24.3. With a scale that reads to 100th, I can insure I am right on 24.4. Was slow at first using this but now I don't even use a thrower. Have a dedicated spoon and use this... http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-rev ... -trickler/ . Don't mind being slow reloading as am still learning on my single stage press. Works for me.
Bearcatrp

Postby Erud on Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:05 am

hopkins wrote:1/100 of a grain?? How many little pieces do you have to crumble each bit of powder into to in order to achieve that separation?? I know that from time to time I get picky, but Wow.

None. In the same way you don't need to weigh 1# to weigh yourself on a bathroom scale that measures in 1# increments, you don't need things that weigh 1/100th of a grain to make use of a powder scale that weighs to that resolution. For reference, the 2 powders I use the most weigh .020-ish grains per kernel(Varget), and .035-ish grains per kernel(H4831sc). So that's 2/100ths and 3.5/100ths per kernel. These are both fairly large extruded powders. There are many ball and flake-based powders that weigh less than .01 per kernel. Most of the time, this degree of precision won't make any practical difference, but sometimes it will.
Erud

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:54 pm

Erud wrote: Most of the time, this degree of precision won't make any practical difference, but sometimes it will.

H50BMG has big kernals thus want to make dam sure I don't get to much. Since my main goal for reloading was for the 50BMG, figure to keep the same practice with all rounds I reload. For the plinking rounds, don't mind being off some but for my 308 A-max and 50BMG, want it right on the nuts.
Bearcatrp

Return to Ammunition & Reloading