Who makes the best hand primer?

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Who makes the best hand primer?

Postby MXGreg on Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:12 am

I'm looking at getting a new hand primer. I've been using the Lee hand primer and I think I've worn it out. It will no longer fully seat a primer. Does anybody make a better one? I've gone back to priming on my press, but it's nice to sit in front of the TV and watch a movie while pushing primers. Thanks.
MXGreg

Re: Who makes the best hand primer?

Postby Jackpine Savage on Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:09 am

I've been happy with the RCBS universal, but it is the only one I've ever used.
Jackpine Savage

Postby Erud on Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:24 am

I prime on my press, but if I were going to start hand priming, I'd get this one:

http://www.21stcenturyshooting.com/S.S_FQUY.php
Erud

Postby andrewP on Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:17 am

Erud wrote:I prime on my press, but if I were going to start hand priming, I'd get this one:

That looks really nice, but for roughly 6X the price of a Lee Auto Prime, or 3X the price of the RCBS and Hornady hand priming tools, it had better be downright amazing. What does it do that those other tools don't? I mean, it's not a consideration for me at the moment, as I prime on the press as well, but I'm just kind of amazed that a hand priming tool can even cost that much. How many can they possibly sell?
andrewP

Postby Erud on Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:30 am

andrewP wrote:
Erud wrote:I prime on my press, but if I were going to start hand priming, I'd get this one:

That looks really nice, but for roughly 6X the price of a Lee Auto Prime, or 3X the price of the RCBS and Hornady hand priming tools, it had better be downright amazing. What does it do that those other tools don't? I mean, it's not a consideration for me at the moment, as I prime on the press as well, but I'm just kind of amazed that a hand priming tool can even cost that much. How many can they possibly sell?

Well, he asked about the best, not the cheapest. The main advantage it has over others is the seating depth adjustment. Read the article below for more details.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-rev ... ting-tool/

As far as how many they sell, I have no idea. They are a very small shop that caters to a pretty niche demographic, mainly benchrest and competition shooters. Their products are very highly regarded among that group. I have their neck turning lathe and I can assure you it is worth the additional cost over a cheaper one. If you are just cranking out plinking ammo or if budget is the top criteria, it's probably not the tool for you. Like I said, I just prime on my Dillon 550.
Erud

Postby shooter115 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:03 am

I've always used the RCBS hand primers that use the shell holders and must have primed close to a zillion rounds with them. I actually had one, then had to send it in to get rebuild because I wore it out (which RCBS did, no charge). Then bought another to use while that one was out getting refurbished. Now I have a spare.

Even though I load the majority of my 5.56 ammo on a Dillon 550, I still choose to hand prime all my brass. This way if there's a primer pocket that is too loose or a crimp that didn't get removed, I can catch it easier and it won't screw up my whole loading process.
shooter115

Postby MXGreg on Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:50 pm

I picked up one of the RCBS hand priming tools at Fleetfarm ($65). Ran a couple dozen .45acp shells through it to test it. It's not as ambidextrous as the Lee primer (I have to run it backwards in my left hand), but it seems much better made and works very well. Thanks for the help.
MXGreg

Postby Sammichman on Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:37 pm

never cared for the RCBS, I scrounge E-Pray for old Lee's
Sammichman

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:16 pm

I also use Lee Auto-prime, and have since it came out over 30 years ago. All the others have been "dorkified" or complicated to get around Richard Lee's patents. AFAIK, you can get a replacement pusher rod/cam part for a Lee primer for about $3 - $5.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby OldmanFCSA on Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:41 pm

I have two broken LEE Auto-prime units from 30 years ago. Didn't know my own strength back then and popped the top off the base unit on both of them. Still have the component parts someplace.
I have a new LEE unit that SUCKS.
I have the RCBS unit that does not require shell holders and it works great for me.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Seismic Sam on Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:07 pm

Well, after 30 years, Lee's patents have expired, so the other companies can actually make stuff that works. My Lee is about 8 years old, and is just as good as the first one.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby aht_six on Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:42 pm

I tried one of the RCBS hand priming tools, compared to my old Lee Auto Prime hand tools, I thought it was awful. After Lee quit selling parts for the old tools, I bought a couple of the newer Lee Auto Prime XR tools, I think it's the next best thing to the original.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
aht_six

Postby SIGP240 on Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:00 pm

Find one and try it out first, before buying. Some fit the hand poorly and you'll never use it much
Proudly launching lead from a Swiss P-240 at a range near you.
SIGP240

Return to Ammunition & Reloading