Has anyone reloaded this kind of brass

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Has anyone reloaded this kind of brass

Postby george on Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:33 pm

Making some 300AAC and ran across a few of these, they were originally LC blanks. I made some other blank cases into modified 223 for 75gr A max
but these were a little short so I cut off for the AAC when I noticed the cannalure around the base. I don't see a problem because they were full power blanks I believe
that were used to launch pop cans out of a can cannon a guy built. The primer pockets are even swagged. He has a bunch.
Anyone loaded these ? Any thoughts ?
[img]
20161010_174347_resized.jpg
[/img]
Attachments
20161010_174347_resized.jpg
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Re: Has anyone reloaded this kind of brass

Postby BigDog58 on Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:27 pm

I have some pistol cases that have the same type "cannalure" (.38 & .357 mag) and have had zero issues with them. However, they were not used as blanks prior to me acquiring them.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby grimbeaver on Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:34 pm

I've also had them in 357. I want to say I bought some Remington 38 wad cutters and they had it. I have no idea why they do it though
grimbeaver

Postby george on Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:56 am

Maybe I'll separate from the rest and load them as subsonic, always need subsonic anyway.
It jest seems like it would leave a area of thin brass under the band. Things are not always as they seem, that area may be a minimum pressure area anyway.
Thanks

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
george

Postby grimbeaver on Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:23 am

Personally I wouldn't worry about the brass and load away. From what little I can find online it sounds like in most cases with LC brass the cannalure was used to mark match ammo or any other ammo that was not to be used for combat. Does not sound like it should structurally affect the brass.
grimbeaver

Re:

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:29 am

george wrote:Maybe I'll separate from the rest and load them as subsonic, always need subsonic anyway.
It jest seems like it would leave a area of thin brass under the band. Things are not always as they seem, that area may be a minimum pressure area anyway.
Thanks

While I will agree that things are not always as they seem, how can the pressure in one part of a case be even 1% different than at any other location in the case during firing???
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby george on Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:43 am

Ya, pressure area should be the same but also the area of brass is pretty thin, I'm sure it's good and the area is well supported, I plan on loading them anyway. Jest figured if someone said to avoid them, I probably would. It's just the first time I've seen it in a rifle case.

george

Postby Sigfan220 on Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:06 am

I would not compare blank rifle brass to pistol brass with a cannelure to prevent bullet setback. They are two totally different animals. The biggest question to ask, is blank brass made to the same standards at regular brass cases? Is it the same type of brass, the same thickness, annealed the same? Nobody at Lake City is going to tell you, which means you will be relying on the opinions of internet trolls. I would think it is not made to the same standard since the case is not seeing the same pressure as a loaded round. I have never really dug into it to find out, this is just my opinion. There is no need to use blank brass with the brass market the way it is now. Good quality 223/5.56 brass can be had for $0.04-0.07 each.

The bigger question, why risk it? What do you have to gain by using potentially sub par brass? My suggestion would be to toss it in the scrap bin along with any other brass you think is questionable.
Sigfan220

Postby crbutler on Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:36 am

The cannulure is something that is done post production to mark as separate. The brass will not be thinner at the cannulure than it is elsewhere on the case. I suppose it may reduce case capacity by some minimal amount, and would be conceivably work hardened a bit, so more likely to fail there.

That being said, I doubt that the QC is the same for blanks as for ammunition.i assume you had to trim off the star crimp or excess brass at the mouth end that they use in blanks, there are various ways they make them.

Pressures could be highly variable if it's a grenade or line launching blank vs training blank.

I really can't see a reason to use it for reloading as the regular stuff is so available, but it the is some internet support for it being usable as reloading fodder, so you can take your chances on it.
crbutler

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:53 pm

I've waited to provide my opinion on the current subject until I've heard from other's input. Are their answers incorrect, no, I just waited to hear other opinions

Do I have the absolute answer to this subject - the answer is NO. :!:

But it is my opinion to not recommend using blanks for any type of high pressure loaded round of ammunition.
Reasons I've heard in the past on other sites is the brass does not meet metallurgical requirements that SAAMI or NATO requires. Whether this is true in all cases, I do not know but with the current cost of new or good once-fired brass, I would not use for any reloaded round.

Since case separation occurs just ahead of the web where the brass casing is weaker, adding a cannelure in this area with the increased stress imposed on brass in compressed areas used in conjunction with the sharp edges of the knurling operation, is sure to create an area where cracks will form. You may survive the initial use of this brass but failure of casing will occur at a faster rate than normal casings. Due to the desire to use these casings to reform to another case type, I simply cannot recommend because the higher failure rate will not justify the labor expense reworking this brass .

This is my opinion, and yes I do have an a-hole for those with smart aleck answers. :roll:
OldmanFCSA

Postby BuckKlier on Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:19 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:I've waited to provide my opinion on the current subject until I've heard from other's input. Are their answers incorrect, no, I just waited to hear other opinions

Do I have the absolute answer to this subject - the answer is NO. :!:

But it is my opinion to not recommend using blanks for any type of high pressure loaded round of ammunition.
Reasons I've heard in the past on other sites is the brass does not meet metallurgical requirements that SAAMI or NATO requires. Whether this is true in all cases, I do not know but with the current cost of new or good once-fired brass, I would not use for any reloaded round.

Since case separation occurs just ahead of the web where the brass casing is weaker, adding a cannelure in this area with the increased stress imposed on brass in compressed areas used in conjunction with the sharp edges of the knurling operation, is sure to create an area where cracks will form. You may survive the initial use of this brass but failure of casing will occur at a faster rate than normal casings. Due to the desire to use these casings to reform to another case type, I simply cannot recommend because the higher failure rate will not justify the labor expense reworking this brass .

This is my opinion, and yes I do have an a-hole for those with smart aleck answers. :roll:

+1

As cheap as 5.56 Brass is, throw the damn things out! Unless you like to deal with the head coming off of the case, and leaving the rest of the case stuck in your gun. An easy way to ruin a day hunting!
BuckKlier

Postby george on Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:00 pm

I have a lot of brass so I got the answers I was looking for.
Thanks,
I'm going to throw it in the junk brass box. It would suck to have the darn thing break off.
That's why I asked, I seen that with a good case in another persons gun and it sucks.
george

Return to Ammunition & Reloading