New Products From Hornady for 2017

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Postby BigDog58 on Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:38 am

Short video of Hornady's new offerings for 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uslX27xHAEA

Okay, can someone please post a detailed instruction of how to get the actual Youtube video to display In the posting? I've tried and must be over looking something :(
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Re: New Products From Hornady for 2017

Postby hammAR on Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:24 am

BigDog58 wrote:Short video of Hornady's new offerings for 2017

Okay, can someone please post a detailed instruction of how to get the actual Youtube video to display In the posting? I've tried and must be over looking something :(

First, you have to use the youtube = button NOT the URL button

Second, you must put the url link within the first set of brackets [youtube=................]

Finally IF the url that you copied has a https; remove the s to look like this http:.

You will then end up with this:

Last edited by hammAR on Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:24 am

Cool stuff.
gun_fan111v2

Postby aprilian on Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:30 am

Interesting ideas, including the dual head screwdriver thingy. Unfortunately, they are having problems making a lot of the less popular bullets - due to capacity and time to change over machines. I hope they add machines so that the bullet supply reappears and (jokingly) the price drops a bit.
aprilian

Postby Seismic Sam on Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:30 am

Don't waste you time with silly videos of next year's bullet lineup. You won't be able to buy ANY bullets after Nov. 8th due to the panic buying, and the Wicked Witch of the West will try and make that a permanent situation...
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby BigDog58 on Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:11 pm

hammAR wrote:

Second, you must put the url link within the first set of brackets [youtube=................]

Finally IF the url that you copied has a https; remove the s to look like this http:.

That damn little "s" (secure socket) is what was causing the problem. I simply over looked it. Thanks hammAR
NRA RSO

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Ghost on Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:21 pm

BigDog58 wrote:
hammAR wrote:

That damn little "s" (secure socket) is what was causing the problem. I simply over looked it. Thanks hammAR

Make sure you have the shortened YouTube address, sometimes via the phone I get some weird stuff (really long) that I have to shorten to get them to play. You can get the shortened information by looking at the mobile share link but that link won't work here, has to be www.
Ghost

Postby Snakeman721 on Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:36 pm

aprilian wrote:Interesting ideas, including the dual head screwdriver thingy. Unfortunately, they are having problems making a lot of the less popular bullets - due to capacity and time to change over machines. I hope they add machines so that the bullet supply reappears and (jokingly) the price drops a bit.

Not just Hornady...Winchester is also guilty of only making popular calibers. Try finding some .375 Winchester ANYWHERE. I have enough (now) but at a cost...close to $100/box of 20. Now some of the old cowboy loads are getting scarce...like 32-20 and 25-20.
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Postby Seismic Sam on Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:21 am

Snakeman721 wrote:
aprilian wrote:Interesting ideas, including the dual head screwdriver thingy. Unfortunately, they are having problems making a lot of the less popular bullets - due to capacity and time to change over machines. I hope they add machines so that the bullet supply reappears and (jokingly) the price drops a bit.

Not just Hornady...Winchester is also guilty of only making popular calibers. Try finding some .375 Winchester ANYWHERE. I have enough (now) but at a cost...close to $100/box of 20. Now some of the old cowboy loads are getting scarce...like 32-20 and 25-20.

Well, if there ever was a time to get into reloading, this is it! If you go really cheap with a Lee press for $49, a set of dies $30??, a primer seater, and a set of primitive but workable Lee powder dippers, you can load most any caliber you want for a little over $100. Obviously, components are extra, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than $5 a shot :( :o :shock: :evil: and you can relax and concentrate on your shooting, rather then on the annoying pain in your keister from getting screwed that hard for paying 5 buck a shot!!
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Snakeman721 on Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:10 am

Thanks Sam, I already have all the equipment for reloading and the dies too. The problem is componets. .375 Winchester brass is as scarce as loaded rounds and I've seen bags of 50 cases go for $150 on Gunbrokers. So, yeah, $3 a case. Also, the load requires a flat or round nose bullet. I've found only ONE maker, Sierra, that makes them. And now THOSE are becoming scarce (in .375 caliber). But I stocked up on a "close out" sale and probably have enough bullets to last a few years. The original cartridge came with either a 200 or 250 grain jacketed flat nose bullet. Any way you cut it, there are too many new and popular calibers out there that all the ammo companies can't keep up and have to cut production somewhere. It seems all the old "obsolete" calibers are going by the wayside. :D
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Postby Seismic Sam on Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:09 pm

Okay, Snakeman, what is the parent case for the 375 round?? If the bullet company made a brand new case just to give them a monopoly and screw the customer, you could be S.O.L. :x :x It wouldn't hurt, however, to look through your reloading manual and see if there isn't something with the same RIM diameter (give or take a couple mils...) and pressure rating as the round you are trying to make. There are a lot more steps to this, and c.r.butler will be HAPPY :roll: to help you out with the rest.

Okay, the same case head belongs to the 307 Winchester, the 308 Marlin express, and the .356 Winchester.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Snakeman721 on Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:02 am

Seismic Sam wrote:Okay, Snakeman, what is the parent case for the 375 round?? If the bullet company made a brand new case just to give them a monopoly and screw the customer, you could be S.O.L. :x :x It wouldn't hurt, however, to look through your reloading manual and see if there isn't something with the same RIM diameter (give or take a couple mils...) and pressure rating as the round you are trying to make. There are a lot more steps to this, and c.r.butler will be HAPPY :roll: to help you out with the rest.

Okay, the same case head belongs to the 307 Winchester, the 308 Marlin express, and the .356 Winchester.

Thanks! I know and have read that a lot of people are using 38-55 cases that are trimed down. Two things with that....1) supposedly that case has thinner walls and isn't rated for .375 Win pressures but one could always trim the case and load it to 38-55 pressures. 2) 38-55 cases and ammo is another "obsolete" cartridge and is also getting sorta hard to find altough Starline still makes the cases. As to the 3 cases you mentioned, they don't sound very mainstream....how are they for availability? I only ask out of curiostity as I do have enough .375 Win to last a while (at great expense)...until I can't find bullets anymore. :D
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Postby BigDog58 on Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:46 am

Have you tried http://www.huntingtons.com or http://www.qual-cart.com ? They carry many different cases as well as some obsolete.
Last edited by BigDog58 on Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA RSO

BigDog58

Postby crbutler on Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:42 am

For a .375 win, consider cast bullets as well.

It's not a particularly demanding platform as far as bullet integrity, and once you buy the mound, you are good to go.

.38-55 brass and cast loads for plinking would not be too bad.

I hear you about finding some of the oddball stuff though. Strangely, the African hunting calibers have remained relatively available... for now, at a price. Sounds like you have plenty of brass for hunting purposes, but if I was trying to keep it fed, I would keep looking and buy a bunch the next time Winchester or whoever makes a lot. If nothing else, you will be able to sell the brass...
crbutler

Postby Snakeman721 on Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:21 pm

crbutler wrote:For a .375 win, consider cast bullets as well.

It's not a particularly demanding platform as far as bullet integrity, and once you buy the mound, you are good to go.

.38-55 brass and cast loads for plinking would not be too bad.

I hear you about finding some of the oddball stuff though. Strangely, the African hunting calibers have remained relatively available... for now, at a price. Sounds like you have plenty of brass for hunting purposes, but if I was trying to keep it fed, I would keep looking and buy a bunch the next time Winchester or whoever makes a lot. If nothing else, you will be able to sell the brass...

Cast bullets will work with lower velocity loadings, but need jacketed bullets to load to factory specs. Yeah, I think I have enough for now, but it cost me a pretty penny. Maybe 300 factory rounds, about 500 pieces of brass and about 1000 Sierra bullets.. The good thing is that .375 Win is a straight wall case and should last quite a few reloadings. So in 15-20 years, I might have to start looking for bullets again...lol.

Weird about the dangerous game calibers...nobody going to Africa lately?
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Return to Ammunition & Reloading