Source for M2 ball

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Source for M2 ball

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:55 pm

Now that the CMP's supply of Greek M2 seems to be dried up what are folks going to for Garand food?

Gun broker seems to have some remnants but the days of sub buck a round Garand ammo seem to be gone.
Holland&Holland

Re: Source for M2 ball

Postby 870TC on Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:54 pm

870TC

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:05 pm

870TC wrote:best deals I have found.
http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-amm ... 30-06-ammo

Appreciate it. That is the best I have seen as well. I went ahead and ordered some to get me through the winter.

Any body know how easy the Greek brass is to reload? I have a ton of it so I guess I better start learning how to replicate M2 Ball ammo. I think I have a FL small base resizing die for aught 6 so time to start reading.
Holland&Holland

Postby OldmanFCSA on Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:07 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:

Appreciate it. That is the best I have seen as well. I went ahead and ordered some to get me through the winter.

Any body know how easy the Greek brass is to reload? I have a ton of it so I guess I better start learning how to replicate M2 Ball ammo. I think I have a FL small base resizing die for aught 6 so time to start reading.

As long as the Greek brass is not Berdan primed, loading 30-06 is easy.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:08 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:

It is boxer. I have just heard removing the old primer can be a bit tough on some of these old milsurp suff.
Holland&Holland

Postby OldmanFCSA on Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:14 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
OldmanFCSA wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:

It is boxer. I have just heard removing the old primer can be a bit tough on some of these old milsurp suff.

The issue is pushing spent primer past the pocket sealer and the military crimp styles. Go slow to avoid damaging the pin or use a specific depriming die only. After depriming, tumble in SS Pins, swage primer pocket with a Dillon Super swage, and verify trim length after FL resizing. I can help if you need to use any of my equipment.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:14 pm

I've never reloaded Greek HXP brass, but I've been told it's comparable to LC.

The only time I've had trouble depriming M2 brass was with some TW headstamp (I forget what year), where the flash holes were punched way off center.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby BigDog58 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:54 pm

If you need it, I have a Super Swage you can borrow. As Oldman stated, reloading 30-06 is easy. Just make sure you trim the brass to length and with the Garand, use the appropriate powder and load, so you don't load too hot. IMR-4895 & IMR-4064 are the "go-to" powders with a 150gr projectile. If you don't use wet tumble and SS pins, you will need to brush the sealant out of the necks and primer pockets. I don't remember if you have a wet tumbler, but if not, I can tumble them for you.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:39 pm

BigDog58 wrote:If you need it, I have a Super Swage you can borrow. As Oldman stated, reloading 30-06 is easy. Just make sure you trim the brass to length and with the Garand, use the appropriate powder and load, so you don't load too hot. IMR-4895 & IMR-4064 are the "go-to" powders with a 150gr projectile. If you don't use wet tumble and SS pins, you will need to brush the sealant out of the necks and primer pockets. I don't remember if you have a wet tumbler, but if not, I can tumble them for you.

I am stuck back in the old walnut media days. Maybe need to upgrade.
Holland&Holland

Postby Sprouticus on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:49 pm

It's been a little over 4 years since Oldman FCSA taught me the fine points of reloading.
By far most of my reloading has been in 30.06 and almost exclusively using HXP brass.

The link below shows that HXP brass has three little stakes vs the heavy crimp ring found on Lake City brass.
https://www.shootersforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10841&stc=1&d=1328304401

To remove the three stakes I just chuck up a simple primer pocket reamer in my cordless drill.
A quick zip zip and done.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1165253550/hornady-primer-pocket-reamer-cutter-head

So far my favorite load is Nosler 155's custom comp. over 47.5 of IMR4064.
They don't beat you up, and are good to go up to 300 yds. (never tied them farther than that)

Last year Shooter Pro Shop had a special $170.00 for a thousand bullets + free shipping too!
You should get on their email list, they send out notices when they special offers.
http://www.shootersproshop.com/

Also they give an extra 10% off for Military & First Responders.
Sprouticus

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:40 am

Thank you!

Very helpful.
Holland&Holland

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:45 am

I hope you will update with your results.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:25 pm

yukonjasper wrote:I hope you will update with your results.

Will do, it will be awhile though.
Holland&Holland

Return to Ammunition & Reloading