Primers, Powder, and 9mm

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: Primers, Powder, and 9mm

Postby hard h2o on Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:04 am

crbutler wrote:I can think of one reason why. Never done it myself, but maybe I should.

Back when I brought some ammo at Cabelas in Owatonna.

.416 Rigby. This was like $20/ a round.

I get home there are 18 rounds in the box.

Turn around, drive back, with the receipt and tell them what happened.

They point out their sign about no returns/refunds on ammo.

Last goddam time I brought ammo there... and that was back when it actually supposedly cared about customer service.

I am pretty sure at my store, with the people we have now, we would have made it right with you. I know I would have. That is an extraordinary circumstance.
hard h2o

Postby hard h2o on Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:08 am

westhope wrote:When my wife worked in customer service Cabela's (before we were married 15 years ago) they also had the sign "No return on ammo".

Occasionally they would let employees (or their spouse/boyfriend) in the back room to buy the "returned" ammo at about 10 % or less of the price on the tags. I did this a couple times. I got a lot of ammo that way.

They have gotten stricter on their return policy because it was taken advantage too often by customers. My wife had several crazy stories of customer returns for items that supposedly were never removed from the box.

We also have a spot for damaged boxes, missing rounds or primers, or things that we allowed back for one reason or another. Ammo that is taken back does not go on the shelf for resale. It is offered to outfitters. I was almost going to buy a .270 WSM rifle because we had a bunch of ammo for it that we couldn't put out on the shelf.
hard h2o

Postby smurfman on Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:31 pm

crbutler,

Your example is not the norm as you have every intention of purchasing the item and are merely verifying all is there before purchasing. What hardh2o and I typically experience are customers opening boxes to merely look at what is inside with no intention of buying. That seems to be very common with ammunition, several times a day I observe customers open a box of ammo just to look - or at least that is what they say if asked. It

What frustrates me most is the opening of items packaged in clear plastic as one can look at the object to their heart's content as it sits. Two items I found just today was a blue 6'x10' tarp and a set of bicycle training wheels.

The first is rather ubiquitous and pretty self explanatory as to what it is and what it looks like. There is even a picture of the tarp on the package label. But, still, someone has to open the package merely to see what it looks like.

The training wheels are packaged in a heavy duty Ziplock type bag which is heat sealed shut that has nothing else in it. One can see the components clearly from the outside from all angles. In spite of that, the bag was opened for some reason and the contents scattered across the shelf.

A stapler and packing tape are frequent companions of mine when at work.
smurfman

Postby linksep on Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:19 pm

Whoopsie-doodle... I've been shooting only .40 S&W and .22lr for so long I didn't realize I only had 80 rounds of 9mm plinking rounds...and now I have 30. :roll: I finally picked up that TP9 I purchased in March and have nothing to feed it!

I do have the raw materials, just not the time to whip up 1,000 rounds unless I take a day off work and do it while the baby is at daycare.
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:17 am

linksep wrote:Whoopsie-doodle... I've been shooting only .40 S&W and .22lr for so long I didn't realize I only had 80 rounds of 9mm plinking rounds...and now I have 30. :roll: I finally picked up that TP9 I purchased in March and have nothing to feed it!

I do have the raw materials, just not the time to whip up 1,000 rounds unless I take a day off work and do it while the baby is at daycare.

Find someone you trust to reload to your specification until your able to reload yourself. Not a good time to be low on ammo now.
Bearcatrp

Postby linksep on Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:15 pm

Off the top of my head I've got over 2,000 rounds of centerfire rifle and factory loaded hollowpoint handgun ammo, plus 10-lifetime's supply of 12GA 9-pellet 00 Buck... I won't be caught without ammo; I just haven't shot 9mm since before I moved 3 years ago and didn't realize I was so low on it!
linksep

Postby Rodentman on Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:52 pm

I just checked on bullet and primer availability as I have been sick for awhile with newly diagnosed diabetes and cataracts. I expected little stock available and found that to be true. I am glad I stocked up before I retired. Not sure when I will get to the range as my eyesight is crap and my diabetes is being monitored along with liver enzymes. I told the kids to come over and start putting post-it notes on the stuff they want.
Rodentman

Postby linksep on Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:32 am

I was able to find some Federal 124 grain HST pulled projectiles so I guess it's time to blow the dust off the ol' press.
Eited to correct bullet type.
Last edited by linksep on Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
linksep

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:30 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
BigDog58 wrote:8000 ea. Federal Small Pistol Primers https://www.gunbroker.com/item/876250627 Starting Bid is $1500.00 (No bidders yet)

A few weeks ago, I saw an 8# Jug of Varget sell for $385...some people are Eff'n Nuts :doh: Or have more money than they have sense

$1500 for primers and he couldn't even post the photo right-side-up. :roll:

That must be why they didn't sell. They won't go off if they are in upside down :twisted:
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Primers, Powder, and 9mm

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:25 pm

Rodentman wrote:I just checked on bullet and primer availability as I have been sick for awhile with newly diagnosed diabetes and cataracts. I expected little stock available and found that to be true. I am glad I stocked up before I retired. Not sure when I will get to the range as my eyesight is crap and my diabetes is being monitored along with liver enzymes. I told the kids to come over and start putting post-it notes on the stuff they want.

Sorry to hear of your health issues. Hope it gets better soon and you get to enjoy shooting again.

If anybody reading this does not reload and needs JHP 9mm ammo, Sig has 2-3 different kinds in stock on their website for about $1/round.
gun_fan111v2

Postby hard h2o on Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:10 am

For about 30 minutes yesterday I had in my grubby hands a BYOB of Federal .22 LR.

Until a customer said the only thing he was looking for was some .22 LR.

I was at the new Scheels on Saturday. They had some .45 Hydrashock deep. First time I have seen them in a store. At the price they had they must think pretty highly of them. I think I will stick with my current SD ammo.
hard h2o

Previous

Return to Ammunition & Reloading