Accuracy and different brands or types of ammo

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Accuracy and different brands or types of ammo

Postby mnmike59 on Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:25 pm

HUGE NOOB question
Is there a big difference between the brands and more so is there a big difference between the type with each brand.
I see HUGE differences in prices for the same brand but different load.
I buy the cheapest ammo I can get for target. If I were to shoot competitively, What would I look for in ammo?
"Just remember boys, this is America. Just because you get more votes it doesn't mean you win."
Fox Mulder.
mnmike59

Re: Accuracy and different brands or types of ammo

Postby justaguy on Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:38 pm

mnmike59 wrote:HUGE NOOB question
Is there a big difference between the brands and more so is there a big difference between the type with each brand.
I see HUGE differences in prices for the same brand but different load.
I buy the cheapest ammo I can get for target. If I were to shoot competitively, What would I look for in ammo?

Try to narrow the focus of your question. rifle, handgun, bulls eye, IDPA, distances, and caliber would help. If you reload or are open to the idea.
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:58 pm

If you are taking rifle, it really can depend on the rifle itself. You have to put the range time in to find out what load will perform well in your firearm. I used to not beleive this, but after a couple of rifles that were very "finicky" I am a true beleiver in this. Handguns, in my opinion, is all about functioning properly (i.e. no misfeeds, failure to fires, failure to ejects, etc...)
Holland&Holland

Postby Einthoven's Triangle on Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:29 pm

The basic premise of having precision ammo is the the operator is capable of maximizing the ammo potential, and the platform is capable. No sense in buying premium ammo unless your skill set can use it or gun is not capable of it! You have to define "Competitively"! Most run and gun stuff is just fine with basic ball ammo from Win, Fed, RP, Mag Tech, Fiochhi, CCI in Aluminum or Brass Cased Blazer Ammo. Now, if you were a NRA Bullseye Competitor you would be measured by your rankings

High Master ....................97.00 and above
Master ............................95.00 to 96.99
Expert ............................ 90.00 to 94.99
Sharpshooter .................. 85.00 to 89.99
Marksman ....................... Below 85.00

And, the same for the other disciplines so to speak. A HM or M would benefit from eliminating the variables as they have equipment and skill set to get the most out of the best ammo!

Most people do not want anything buy the cheapest ammo to blast away with, nothing more. Some of the value pak ammo vendors have some have better reputations then others, and well some are downright dirty. To me with respect to handgun ammo most the time unless have a ransom rest or similar device or shoot from rock solid bench it is hard to test the precision of the bulk ammo.
"Match ammo" costs a lot more then regular ammo! Most of the time the Gold Standard is Federal Gold Medal in 38, 45 in the handgun, along with 223, 308, 3006, and 300 WM in rifle rounds BH has some good stuff, too! It has been my experience that BHA 308 175 out shoots FGM in the same bullet wt a real apples to apples deal comparing the 175 SMK.

There are some brands of 22LR ammo that is surprising good, like Wolf 22LR Match. One of the most prevalent things to consider is 22LR ammo, some times it really pays to buy and shoot a few various brands of ammo to ensure the best results. Some of the bulk stuff is very dirty and and gums up the works toot sweet!
Einthoven's Triangle

Postby mnmike59 on Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:03 pm

Thanks, You have answered my questions.
I have heard from a guy I know at Bills, That some of the 22LR competition shooters weigh each of their bullets before bringing it to a match. I thought WOW. That's Serious. :o
"Just remember boys, this is America. Just because you get more votes it doesn't mean you win."
Fox Mulder.
mnmike59

Postby DeanC on Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:44 pm

mnmike59 wrote:Thanks, You have answered my questions.
I have heard from a guy I know at Bills, That some of the 22LR competition shooters weigh each of their bullets before bringing it to a match. I thought WOW. That's Serious. :o

It's almost hard to fathom the depths of anal retentiveness some guys will go to in search of being able to put 5 bullets through the same hole.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby mnmike59 on Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:21 pm

I guess!
Maybe 1 bullet and 4 blanks? :lol: Perfect shots!
Fox Mulder.
mnmike59

Return to Ammunition & Reloading