Power Pistol for .38 sp

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: Power Pistol for .38 sp

Postby Rodentman on Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:31 pm

I used magnum primers because I have less than 1k of regular SP primers and was able to get 1k of SP magnums. I figured they'd be OK in the .38; I didn't want to use them for the .40's. I had to take whatever primers I could get, at least I felt that way when they were in front of me, the last box they had at Gouger Mt.

I will probably up the load (but not above max) and use my 6" S&W 28 next time. That is much more accurate and that will tell me if I have a load issue or a marksmanship issue. I'll also bring along some factory ammo for comparison.
Rodentman

Postby Veldy on Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:44 pm

Rodentman wrote:I used magnum primers because I have less than 1k of regular SP primers and was able to get 1k of SP magnums. I figured they'd be OK in the .38; I didn't want to use them for the .40's. I had to take whatever primers I could get, at least I felt that way when they were in front of me, the last box they had at Gouger Mt.

I will probably up the load (but not above max) and use my 6" S&W 28 next time. That is much more accurate and that will tell me if I have a load issue or a marksmanship issue. I'll also bring along some factory ammo for comparison.

First the ammunition shortage and now the primer shortage. It just makes so little sense unless you get conspiratorial. Federal doesn't seem to have enough business to keep its employees and lays a bunch of them off, yet, they make primers and ammunition for the retail market, both of which are in short supply. I don't believe in coincidence and thus, I need to know what to believe. Manufacturers are hush about the shortage if you call them [you just get referred around until you give up].
Veldy

Postby Einthoven's Triangle on Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:06 pm

Veldy and others...

#1 Ammo makers are in the ammo business, and not in the component business. So, primers and brass are side line business not their primary source of income. Veldy you qualify as a new reloader, and now multiply your wants by a gazillion and now you see why there are no primers...... BE PATIENT, this is not going through the drive through at McDonalds. Look how many new reloaders are on this board? Look how hard it has been to find casting equipment from moulds, lubricator/sizers, to gas checks......

#2 Yeah Federal did two lay offs up in Anoka, but there was a lay off at CCI in ID, too. But, CCI did a recall of some of the staffers recently. Take CCI for instance.....they have not had BR4 primers for a long time......this due to an internal QC issue. And, I do not think companies can just up an order some hardware over night, then install, test, and start turning out primers......

#3 Production capacity vs demand......production schedules are not some thing that get changed at a whim......look at the demand for ammo? Wally World rationing ammo purchases, and geeze there is only so much time in the day....Look at Hornady....they can not fill orders for poop! They nearly 3000 LNL Presses behind, due to demand, where is their Case Prep center? supposed to be available in April? They can not deliver product. And, some reloading mfg's only work 4 day weeks......ie RCBS. You can not find LEE stuff to save your life. Look at some calibers of brass.....some cartidges are only made once a year according to their production schedule, ie 257 Roberts +P brass.........or 30 Remington, or numerous other cartridges....go find some 308 brass......from Win or Rem........you can't.....but there is always Nosler and Lapua......

Things will loosen up we just have to patient.....Hodgdon is shipping 8# jugs of powder again. Varget is out there.......

The good thing about loadng for most handgun rounds is that they are not too picky about primer changes.......well unless you have a tuned revolver then you need Federal Primers....
Einthoven's Triangle

Postby Veldy on Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:55 am

Einthoven's Triangle wrote:Veldy and others...

#1 Ammo makers are in the ammo business, and not in the component business. So, primers and brass are side line business not their primary source of income. Veldy you qualify as a new reloader, and now multiply your wants by a gazillion and now you see why there are no primers...... BE PATIENT, this is not going through the drive through at McDonalds. Look how many new reloaders are on this board? Look how hard it has been to find casting equipment from moulds, lubricator/sizers, to gas checks......

Federal makes primers and ammunition in Anoka.

Einthoven's Triangle wrote:#2 Yeah Federal did two lay offs up in Anoka, but there was a lay off at CCI in ID, too. But, CCI did a recall of some of the staffers recently. Take CCI for instance.....they have not had BR4 primers for a long time......this due to an internal QC issue. And, I do not think companies can just up an order some hardware over night, then install, test, and start turning out primers......

#3 Production capacity vs demand......production schedules are not some thing that get changed at a whim......look at the demand for ammo? Wally World rationing ammo purchases, and geeze there is only so much time in the day....Look at Hornady....they can not fill orders for poop! They nearly 3000 LNL Presses behind, due to demand, where is their Case Prep center? supposed to be available in April? They can not deliver product. And, some reloading mfg's only work 4 day weeks......ie RCBS. You can not find LEE stuff to save your life. Look at some calibers of brass.....some cartidges are only made once a year according to their production schedule, ie 257 Roberts +P brass.........or 30 Remington, or numerous other cartridges....go find some 308 brass......from Win or Rem........you can't.....but there is always Nosler and Lapua......

Hardware issues are one thing, but that only covers a small portion of the market and further, I doubt that CCI has completely shut down [in other words, I doubt all their equipment has failed]. Now, compare the last six or so months with all the previous years, even going back to when the assault rifle ban was going into effect under Clinton. When as there ever been a shortage such as there is now? WWII?

Einthoven's Triangle wrote:Things will loosen up we just have to patient.....Hodgdon is shipping 8# jugs of powder again. Varget is out there.......

The good thing about loadng for most handgun rounds is that they are not too picky about primer changes.......well unless you have a tuned revolver then you need Federal Primers....

I don't buy Federal primers because I find it silly that they overcharge for regular and match grade primers ... and they are soft as well [I haven't had a problem with them]. I buy either Winchester or CCI given the opportunity and have never tried Remington or others [except Federal]. Fortunately, I have enough to get by for a little while, but there are a LOT of people that do not, and the explanation as to the shortage with so many components at any given time [beyond the Obama scare] is lacking.
You could get a new lease on life -- if only you didn't need the first and last month in advance.
Veldy

Postby Einthoven's Triangle on Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:45 pm

Well, either you get or you don't. Simply put the demand for ammo is high, DUH, and where do the components come from? DUH the production lines.....same place components do.
You can blame Barry, but this was going on before he election just cause you do not want to believe it is your and other people's problems. Got news for you with the exception of Rem there is premium for BR primers ie BR2 BR4 or FGM so quit pitching a bitch over something you do not control. It is what it is a cluster!
Einthoven's Triangle

Postby nyffman on Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:05 pm

You can blame Barry, but this was going on before he election just cause you do not want to believe it is your and other people's problems.
Not going to argue with you at this point on ammo/reloading related issues. But the fact that this was going on before the election doesn't mean our man Hussein or the current sad state of congress has nothing to do with it. Personally, I made several purchases quite some time before the election in anticipation, for lack of a better word, of his pending election. Would it not be logical to say that many others who were also seeing which way the winds were blowing and got this whole ball rolling. Think of it as the classical bell curve. A few wiser than the rest, forsaw the direction the country was leaning and started filling their needs early, as more people caught on, we saw the middle of the curve and, hopefully, we are now seeing the tail end. If this is true, barring any introduction of radical legislation affecting firearms and/or ammunition, we should see demand drop below normal as many people now have more than they normally do and will therefore out of the market for quite some time.
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby Einthoven's Triangle on Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:22 pm

Dont shoot the messenger......It is hard for the new to reloading to believe......and that is tough pill to swallow......cause they want to churn out ammo......Don't blame them one bit....I hate clean brass....much rather have loaded ammo. But, we are talking REALITY not FANTASY. Federal 150's have been hard to come by for the last few years.....long before the election! And, the same with Gold Medal Match in all flavors....and some just do not want to listen to reality..... Just when people are prepping for Doggin trips, competition, or just plain paper punching.....compounded by Tin Foil Types....but some people shoulda been buying it cheap and stackin it deep!
Einthoven's Triangle

Postby 1911fan on Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:51 pm

well some of us had ten K of primers in sept. But teaching people has burned almost all of that up. I am down to under a couple hundred loaded rounds left with NO primers left to replenish. Something else is up. 1994 was nothing like this. They were available just not plentiful.
1911fan

Postby Einthoven's Triangle on Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:49 pm

1911fan wrote:well some of us had ten K of primers in sept. But teaching people has burned almost all of that up. I am down to under a couple hundred loaded rounds left with NO primers left to replenish. Something else is up. 1994 was nothing like this. They were available just not plentiful.

Well, then perhaps you should have had more presence of mind to have been restocking a long the way.........your sense of urgency does not constitute a conspiracy.......nect you will be blaming Alcoa for not producing enough Tin Foil to keep you in Tin Foil Hats....

Some people stay a head of the curve not behind the curve........
Einthoven's Triangle

Previous

Return to Ammunition & Reloading