What .22LR bulk ammo do you prefer?

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: What .22LR bulk ammo do you prefer?

Postby TC95GT on Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:40 am

Federal target auto match when I find it otherwise Federal bulk. Never any problems shooting it with my 10/22.
"It is not enough to just obey Big Brother, you must love him, too." 1984 by George Orwell
TC95GT

Postby Joe Camo on Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:02 am

Prefer anything by Federal (especially bulk HP), but for pure plinking I'll take the cheapest I can find. Out of the hundreds of thousands of 22LR rounds I've fired in my life, I have found Federal brands to generally be the most consistent, reliable and accurate within any given price category. That said, I rarely shoot any uber-expensive match grade 22 ammo.

I've had mixed results with Rem Golden Bullets, the bullets all tend to be really loosely crimped in the cases and cause repeated feed issues in my 10/22 (and my nephew's as well) and some other autoloaders, but generally work fine in my MKII and Marlin 60. All other Rem 22LR have worked fine in any gun I've shot.

For a string of several years some time ago I had nothing but bad luck with any commonly available Winchester 22LR - mostly poor primers that wouldn't fire and other issues (to the tune of 10-20% failure rate) - so I've shied away from them, especially since I've had much better luck with their competitors. Hopefully Win has gotten better. (Note: the Win 22 Mag has always gone Boom for me - no complaints there).
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt
Joe Camo

Postby ijosef on Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:42 pm

Well, I went shooting today and shot a fair amount of each. My Marlin 60 ate them up in both controlled and rapid fire, and I only had one single failure to eject. It happened with the federal, and a quick pull of the charging handle solved the issue and I was back at it. So far all three brands are reliable enough in my gun, but the Remington stuff is dirtier, smoky, and not as accurate. The Winchester and Federal are neck and neck in that regard.
ijosef

Postby cetme on Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:00 pm

If I'm stuck with bulk pack I go winchester. I've had the best accuracy and fewer feed issues in my guns with winchester. FYI I use CCI blazer when I can get it.
AmmoCraft and Gobbler specialtes
4314 Shady Oak Rd
Minnetonka MN 555343
http://www.gobblerspecialties.com
former shopboy now I just drink his coffee for free
cetme

Postby RB98SS on Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:28 am

I shoot Federal out of my .22 Colt Challenger. The Remington's FTF once about every 7 or 8 rounds.. I have not tried the Winchester brand.
RB98SS

Postby ijosef on Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:58 pm

Well wouldn't you know it... I decided to really dig into the Remington box and fire off a bunch. After shooting .22 at the range one afternoon, I tallied up three FTF. You could see right where the firing pin hit the rim - it's just that the round didn't go off. I single loaded all three of the duds back in and each one of them fired the second time around.

I guess it matters where exactly on the rim the firing pin strikes. :roll:
ijosef

Postby JJ on Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:20 pm

ijosef wrote:Well wouldn't you know it... I decided to really dig into the Remington box and fire off a bunch. After shooting .22 at the range one afternoon, I tallied up three FTF. You could see right where the firing pin hit the rim - it's just that the round didn't go off. I single loaded all three of the duds back in and each one of them fired the second time around.

I guess it matters where exactly on the rim the firing pin strikes. :roll:

Just a quick heads up on what causes this. Priming mix is put into the shell-casing when it is wet. The shells are then spun at a high RPM very quickly to distribute the priming mix through the rim. If the mix is to tacky it will not evenly distribute, if its too wet it will spread up the sides of the casing. The perfect mix is really a delicate balance and some "scrapers" as they are called are better than others.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby revluke on Sun May 02, 2010 9:32 pm

BBeckwith wrote:Federal Bulk seems to feed best in my Sig Mosquito

Ha, I can't get through a clip with my Mosquito. Golden Bullets work about 95%...
CCI minimags 100%
revluke

Postby chopper on Sun May 02, 2010 10:08 pm

I have used all three and my marlin 60 eats them all have'nt ever had a misfire with anything I put thru it. It did have a problem with failing to feed a while ago but that was a gun issue I took care of, I bought this gun new 1976. it was $39.00 at holiday village
chopper

Previous

Return to Ammunition & Reloading