Non reloaders helping us reloaders.....

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: Non reloaders helping us reloaders.....

Postby Pinnacle on Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:08 pm

Heck I have some 280 rem that will go to any good home that asks for it.

I get a lot of brass in my shop - anyone with a wish list - speak up now.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby Vlad on Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:37 pm

I didn't mean to kick up such a hornets nest. I let my frustrations with a few people that did not ask before picking up my brass get the best of me. :oops:
http://www.Schleifleather.com For custom holsters that fit you and the gun, not to mention show off those Strad grips...

The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression."

--W.E.B. Du Bois,
American scholar and civil rights leader
Vlad

Postby macphisto on Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:03 pm

Pinnacle wrote:Heck I have some 280 rem that will go to any good home that asks for it.

Sounds like you've got more .45 brass than you know what to do with. Care to discuss it over a few Summits? ;)
macphisto

Postby jac714 on Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:45 pm

cobb wrote:I am a firm believer that if you NEED 20 bucks, I will give you the $20 and not be concerned if you pay me back or not. But screw me out of a dollar or two, I will spend 20 times that to get it back, just because of the principle of the thing.

I agree with you completely on this. If you screw me I will do everything I can legally do to get my money back and do it in a way that is the most hassle and most expensive for you. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."

IFIA MCPPA Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor
jac714

Postby Burnsville Guy on Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:57 pm

cobb wrote:I am a firm believer that if you NEED 20 bucks, I will give you the $20 and not be concerned if you pay me back or not. But screw me out of a dollar or two, I will spend 20 times that to get it back, just because of the principle of the thing.

AMEN! :D
Burnsville Guy

Postby Pinnacle on Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:27 pm

macphisto wrote:
Pinnacle wrote:Heck I have some 280 rem that will go to any good home that asks for it.

Sounds like you've got more .45 brass than you know what to do with. Care to discuss it over a few Summits? ;)

Go fish my friend.

At the moment - I have a HUGE surplus of 40 that I may consider selling off and 9mm - I have a TON of that crap (like rabbits 9mm - keeps muliplying)
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby ttousi on Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:05 pm

cobb wrote:
I am a firm believer that if you NEED 20 bucks, I will give you the $20 and not be concerned if you pay me back or not. But screw me out of a dollar or two, I will spend 20 times that to get it back, just because of the principle of the thing.

Could you define NEED a little better for this poor sailor. ;)
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby hammAR on Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:43 am

ttousi wrote:
cobb wrote:
I am a firm believer that if you NEED 20 bucks, I will give you the $20 and not be concerned if you pay me back or not. But screw me out of a dollar or two, I will spend 20 times that to get it back, just because of the principle of the thing.

Could you define NEED a little better for this poor sailor. ;)

It's 7 for 5 to a squid......besides it's MoSCoW rules and you are the W........ :shock:
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Aftrshck on Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:31 pm

1911fan wrote:...snip....

As far as the gun shop position that we are somehow taking from their pockets, I think that is mighty shortsighted thinking. If I rent a lane, you are going to get far more cash value from me than you will from my brass....snip...

Seen the prices of brass lately??

Know the costs of running a range that charges a small amount when compared to the cost of employees...lights...heating/AC...I could continue...but I think you get the idea...

Contrary to popular thought..the brass and lead that is taken in and recycled covers a large amount of that cost for the range to run....

not to mention....if EVERY shooter thought like that...can you imagine the cost to shoot at a range that provides heat in the winter and air in the summer and clean filters for the filtration systems and knowledgeable employees and....well...again I think the idea is there....some just need to see that part of it....its one thing to look at it from the shooter side...but try looking at it from all directions...you know...like...outside the box?

the policy at MOST shops with ranges is if its yours and you want it take it....but dont be a brass monkey....pretty basic and simple....but I know people with have issue with my comments....but truth is truth....

~Aftrshck
--
~Aftrshck
Aftrshck

Postby 1911fan on Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:43 pm

Well, lets see, a pound of brass is what, $2.50? $3.00 a pound? My lane time is 18 to 20 dollars an hour, I pick up my brass, I may shoot three times as much. Which would you prefer,

$20 plus $3 or $60 plus nothing.... You get the lead anyway, and thats the profitable metal anyway.

My point is simple, Maybe in my zeal of sweeping I collect a couple of dollars of brass that might not be mine, but was on the floor with my brass, you loose a couple of bucks. However, because I have a little extra brass, I am able to come back and shoot a bit more, you gain 20 bucks, or more.

And I was not asking for people to start raiding the brass bucket, There are far more people who let brass lay than pick it up, but I am willing to bet that reloader shoot far more than non reloaders. I am willing to bet there are a lot of people on this forum who shoot 4K or more rounds a year...I am down somewhat from my high years but I still shoot at least 5K rounds a year. Find me more than one non reloader who shoots that much.

asking non reloaders who are members here to pick up their own brass and pass it forward will only HELP local ranges.
1911fan

Postby Aftrshck on Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:12 pm

not sure where you pay $18-20/hour to shoot...but at the ranges I am thinking its one price with no time limit....

also, I am not talking about a few pieces...I am talking more on the lines of the folks that come in with a box of 50 and leave with several hundred rounds....that to me is not exactly honest...but again....my opinion and mine alone....

Good luck with your shooting my friend....

~Aftrshck
--
~Aftrshck
Aftrshck

Postby chunkstyle on Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:03 pm

Well, I often shoot peculiar handgun ammo, and the brass for that is usually hard to come by. (9x18Makarov, .30Tokarev, 10mm) I try to pick up every single piece I shoot, and if I find more (very rarely), I grab that, too. I got b!tched out at Bill's North the other day, for doing exactly that, and so lost a few pieces. They aren't getting any more of my (or my students') business for a while, just for the sake of less than 5 cartridge cases.

OTOH, when shooting more "normal" calibers, like 9mm or .40, I usually just let them lie. (Always, in the case of 9mm, as I don't reload that.) For .40, I usually just shoot what I shoot, then pick up a coffee can or so of whatever random brass that's lying around. I reload the .40, and decap much of the rest, and keep it for trade bait. Or take it back and toss it, at the next range visit.
"In his library at Simi Valley, dead Reagan waits dreaming"
chunkstyle

Postby gunshop guy on Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:29 am

chunkstyle wrote:Well, I often shoot peculiar handgun ammo, and the brass for that is usually hard to come by. (9x18Makarov, .30Tokarev, 10mm) I try to pick up every single piece I shoot, and if I find more (very rarely), I grab that, too. I got b!tched out at Bill's North the other day, for doing exactly that, and so lost a few pieces. They aren't getting any more of my (or my students') business for a while, just for the sake of less than 5 cartridge cases.

I have never seen anyone who works there "b!tch out" anyone for picking up their own brass. I have seen several reminders to collect your own brass etc, but you may want to check your perspective on this. And, if you were simply collecting your own brass, then simply let the range officer know that when they ask you about it and that should take care of the issue.
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell. ~C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain
http://www.christiangunowners.net/
gunshop guy

Postby Mo_the_Mouse on Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:59 pm

Which ranges allow this? And do you get loaded brass back at the next breakfast? :P
Mmmmm, bacontini.
Mo_the_Mouse

Postby plblark on Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:33 pm

I usually ask for a right hand wall stall and explain that I plan to collect my brass for reloading. Never had a problem.

Course, I realize them need to make a buck on what IS left behind so I take a moment to sweep the area clear before I start so there's little doubt as possible about whose is whose.

I've found, especially at Bill's North, that if you make an effort to work with them they make an effort to work with you. Something about honey compared to vinegar ;-)
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Previous

Return to Ammunition & Reloading