Squib

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: Squib

Postby Rags on Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:35 am

I came up with a powder check a couple of years ago and have been using it ever since. It cost me nothing out of pocket.

With each block of 50 loaded cases, I just use a short length wooden dowel that will slide into the case easily, and hold it in such a way that one fingertip just touches the rim of the case, and go down the rows.

The method is surprisingly sensitive. I caught two loads that felt a bit under. On the scale, they came out 0.1 grains low. But I really use it just to check that each case has about the right amount of powder in it, not no powder or a double charge.

Even though I'm an illustrator, and therefore a very visual guy, I like this method because it brings anther sense into play, touch.
-- Dave Matheny

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell
Rags

Re: Squib

Postby BlackEagl on Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:35 am

That'd work great with a single stage press.. But mine happened on a progressive press.. I've got the powder check die on each of my toolheads now, so it shouldn't happen again.
BlackEagl

Previous

Return to Ammunition & Reloading