New G2 Research personal defense rounds

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: New G2 Research personal defense rounds

Postby JTapper on Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:54 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:Lead will never be scarce, but that doesn't mean government won't create a crisis and ban it. I suspect when that happens we'll be shooting solid copper/bronze bullets like those produced by Barnes.

This.

However I doubt (although anything is possible) that the use of lead in personal protection rounds would be banned. They have already banned lead shot for waterfoul hunting, and have pressed for banning lead in game rounds now too. I can see them passing a lead ban for hunting rounds (unfortunately), but I doubt they could outlaw it's use in everything altogether. There is no case for it in defense rounds like there is (albeit a loose one) for rounds that end up in entrails left at the kill site.
JTapper

Postby TTS on Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:43 pm

crbutler wrote:If you look at the comment of the guy that you are calling an expert, he states he's a dentist.

Not that I disagree with what he said.

However, this concept looks remarkably like the CEB Raptor bullets that on some hunting forums are being touted as the "only bullet you will ever need" (those are intended for DG hunting) with the only real difference being the porportion of the base solid shank and the fragmenting portions; and the picture that was shown is remarkably like what one sees from a Berger bullet that is being touted as great for hunting as well. (also rifle, which is again a horse of a different color than handgun bullets and their energy.) Its possible that after tweaking the round that it may well work fine, especially after the greenies make us shoot only nonlead containing projectiles.

Take a look at his resume:
http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Roberts.pdf
Owner
Tactical Training Solutions
Specializing in Self Defense and Firearms Training
http://www.minnesotaccw.com
TTS

Postby mmcnx2 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:57 pm

Another Ninja marketing scam. I'll stick with a staggered mag, an XTP Hornady round alternated with a full lead bullet round. The theory I've bought into years ago was the jacket hollow point will get through some moderate barriers(like heavy coat) and still have impact to the target, the lead if there is minimal barriers will make a very hard hit on the target.
mmcnx2

Postby TTS on Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:00 pm

gunforhire wrote:here's a question:

so, when lead goes scarace, prices go up and we need to design a new projectile, do you think they will be more like this or will it be a copper alloy with a polymer tip like a XTP for self defense? I certainly hope it's the latter, but I am no metallurgist

Lead will not get scarce. If the lead plant that recently shut down was in my neighborhood, I would have cheered! They were pathological EPA rule breakers.

You know me and I am far from a .fed supporter... but the fundamental role of government is to protect your rights. If someone is spewing lead into the air, they are removing your fundamental right to life.

Here is a great read on why it is not a problem that Doe Run shut down.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/12/23/the-last-lead-smelter-in-the-us-closes-because-the-hippies-won/
Owner
Tactical Training Solutions
Specializing in Self Defense and Firearms Training
http://www.minnesotaccw.com
TTS

Postby crbutler on Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:45 pm

TTS wrote:Take a look at his resume:
http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Roberts.pdf

If that's the same guy, he has some bona fides- still I question how a DDS becomes an expert at internal ballistics- its kind of out of their field (rather substantially so). Fackler was a trauma surgeon and I think most of the DOD experts are forensic pathologists.

Again, not that I disagree with his interpretation. He is making his judgement from one screen save picture from a ballistic gel photo which he admits is not very reliable. Heck, it could be a lot worse than that- most ballistic gel is much less clear than that in what I have seen- so its probably well under the 20% that is usually used- which would mean that the cavities are artificially larger. Also, one is assuming that the squares on the photo are actually 1"- so in reality, the video and promo short that they came from could mean anything.

I do tend to agree that this is all advertising gimmick, but until you see 3rd party duplication of the results, you don't really know, and I would suspect given my experience with monometal rifle bullets that a copper expanding slug could be made that works well. Whether this one is is another story, and until the outside reports come in, I am not changing from Federal or Winchester premium ammo for some gimmicky ad campaign, which is what I gather the majority are saying.
crbutler

Postby mrp on Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:50 pm

cobb wrote:You guys are making the common mistake that all common sense people do, you are analyzing it's practability and looking at the facts.
All wrong, the evil look of the bullet and the feel good sales presentation will be more than enough to sell this fabulously designed looking bullet. ;)

I'm probably not going to buy anything from them until they tether the parts together with diamond encrusted titanium wires.
mrp

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:06 pm

I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby mrp on Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:05 am

Yep. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=47862

But that's sooooo 2013. It's 2014 and I demand diamond encrusted titanium wires.
mrp

Postby UnaStamus on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:06 pm

Copper bullets like the Barnes XPB, TSX and TTSX perform well. Copper bullets that have very small fingers that act like fragmenting flechettes will always have poor performance. Loss of mass causes loss of momentum and energy, thus reducing penetration. In the case of the RIP, this is guaranteed to happen. This is also not to mention that the gelatin testing being done does not appear to be done to the appropriate FBI/IWBA standard with appropriate calibration documentation.
Additionally, copper petals are prone to sheering off when they pass through hard barriers like auto glass or sheet metal (car doors). Barnes had to specially design the 50gr TSX that they supply exclusively to Black Hills Ammo with thicker petals so that it would not sheer off when passing through those barriers. Reason being is that Black Hills wanted a LE specific cartridge for SBR use that reliably functioned through hard barriers. If the petals sheer off, the projectile will act like a FMJ and either over penetrate or under penetrate. Either way, the permanent crush cavity is reduced drastically.

The RIP ammo is everything that ammo should not be. Makes me wonder how much money they threw at Craig Sawyer to come onboard for testing. I'm guessing a lot. Can't wait to see this ammo fall flat on it's face, just like every other ammo that pops up when someone thinks they can reinvent the wheel. Liberty Ammo does the same thing, and so do several others. It's cyclical: A company comes out with a "revolutionary" idea that they thought up and implement with no scientific backing, it does okay for a while because of hype, then it fails. Then several years later, another company thinks they can pull it off and do it better because the market wasn't ready for it THEN but it is now. OR, another company comes up with the idea and doesn't realize it's been done and failed. Either way, it's snake oil perpetuating snake oil.

Truth be told, these companies do make decent money off of the unsuspecting and hype-believers. Brilliant marketing in some respects...

crbutler wrote:If you look at the comment of the guy that you are calling an expert, he states he's a dentist.

Not that I disagree with what he said.

However, this concept looks remarkably like the CEB Raptor bullets that on some hunting forums are being touted as the "only bullet you will ever need" (those are intended for DG hunting) with the only real difference being the porportion of the base solid shank and the fragmenting portions; and the picture that was shown is remarkably like what one sees from a Berger bullet that is being touted as great for hunting as well. (also rifle, which is again a horse of a different color than handgun bullets and their energy.) Its possible that after tweaking the round that it may well work fine, especially after the greenies make us shoot only nonlead containing projectiles.

To add to what was posted above...

He is a dentist, but that's what he puts as a joke because internet forum posters who think they know everything because they watched a YouTube channel (like TNoutdoors or Brassfetcher) for 20 minutes like to make claims that DocGKR doesn't know what he's talking about because he's just a dentist and always discounts temporary cavitation for pistol rounds as being inconsequential. Nobody bothers to research his background before they challenge him. Those of us that know him get the joke behind the "Just a dentist" line.
Dr. Gary Roberts is considered to be one of the foremost wound ballistic experts in the world. He has worked with other notables like Dr. Martin Fackler and FBI SSA Buford Boone, just to name a couple. Several popular duty/defense pistol and rifle loads on the market today were developed with his direct input. Top name manufacturers pay him as a consultant.
He got into ballistics way back when nobody knew a damn thing about it, and he's been learning ever since. He has training in human physiology and biological responses, which is where the medical qualification meets the ballistic side.
Because he's been in the game for so long, he's helped develop a lot of testing criteria that is used today by modern manufacturers, military, government and LE organizations. He also does guest speaking at major conferences. The last documents I got from him were from the NTOA Sniper Conference. He regularly puts out a lot of his restricted data to LE so that we can stay current on documentation and compiled data. He has more access to ballistic data than most people, so he winds up being the guy that everyone turns to. He is also a great guy to know. He knows his stuff and is always willing to talk. I had a situation a couple years back with some ammunition testing, and he answered my email and called me up on my cell within a couple hours. He is more than willing to lend a helping hand to get the right information out there where it matters. Most experts won't do that unless you cut them a check first.
Last edited by UnaStamus on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby gunsmith on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:22 pm

The tone of the voice over on the video is comical.

Question: Would the Barnes CorBon DPX be significantly better than lead / copper jacketed hollowpoint for effectiveness AFTER passing through a front car windshield?
gunsmith

Postby UnaStamus on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:37 pm

gunsmith wrote:The tone of the voice over on the video is comical.

Question: Would the Barnes CorBon DPX be significantly better than lead / copper jacketed hollowpoint for effectiveness AFTER passing through a front car windshield?

No. It's either going to be the same or worse. Since copper petals are prone to sheering when passing through hard barriers, the bullet can perform poorly if there is in fact sheering. If the petals remain intact, the bullet will have similar performance to other quality JHPs like the Speer GDHP or Remington Golden Saber.

If you are going to shoot through hard barriers like auto glass or sheet metal, you need either a bonded bullet like the Speer GDHP or Remington Golden Saber Bonded, or a cannelure locking bullet like the Federal HST or Hornady Critical Duty. Lead core bullets perform more consistently through hard barriers than solid copper.

More often than not, copper bullets that experience sheering will over-penetrate and exit the body because they act like a FMJ.

I can't find a photo of the XPB/DPX bullet online to illustrate, so here's one of the TSX. Results are going to be similar. Not the same per se, but similar.

UnaStamus

Postby dismal on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:50 pm

I prefer this ammo:

http://seasonshot.com/
dismal

Postby UnaStamus on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:07 am

What in the actual hell...?
UnaStamus

Postby Vashjir on Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:40 pm

dismal wrote:I prefer this ammo:

Gotta say, for a mn company the lack of a cheese flavor is a bit disappointing.

I also have to imagine barrel cleanings would get pretty nasty.
Vashjir

Postby Jack's My dog on Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:52 pm

Vashjir wrote:
dismal wrote:I prefer this ammo:

Gotta say, for a mn company the lack of a cheese flavor is a bit disappointing.

I also have to imagine barrel cleanings would get pretty nasty.

Or delicious! ;)
Jack's My dog

PreviousNext

Return to Ammunition & Reloading