Make your own primers

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: Make your own primers

Postby perotter on Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:03 am

BigDog58 wrote:DanM, thanks for the posting. I found it interesting with good info.

I had forgotten about the original posting but was looking into the ability to reuse a spent primer. From what I've been able to discern, is that the hardest part is acquiring the necessary chemicals to make the primer compound. I'm especially curious if making my own compound for my 50BMG primers could improve consistency? More research is needed on my part.

As far as difficulty in acquiring the chemicals, it depends of what mix you want to use. It can be as simple as a trip to the hardware store and super market or Walmart if you shop there. For some mixes ebay will have most or all of them. Plus the places that sell the chemicals for making fireworks have chemicals for some mixes. Garden stores are another place.

As far as making primers that are better for accuracy than what we buy, I place no limits on what someone else can do. But as for myself, I wouldn't expect that I could do it on an ongoing basis if at all.
perotter

Postby perotter on Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:08 am

Seismic Sam wrote:..... You are also going to have to accurately measure out equal portions of liquid, probably in the range of .1 mil to .01 mil. ....

There is no need to measure at that level. The factories don't.
perotter

Postby perotter on Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:51 am

crbutler wrote:....

They are dangerous. No way around it. If the plants that make this stuff have occasional detonations, you can just imagine the issues with untrained home chemists. While I would be willing to tinker around with this in a true SHTF situation, to do so for other reasons strikes me as being rather callously in disregard for life and limb unless you have all the equipment to make sure you are safe (fume hood, analytic balances, titration equipment to verify concentration, etc.). You should also have some sort of explosive license I think if you don't want trouble with the friendly folks at ATF.
t...

No explosive license in needed because they are for small arms use of a personal nature.

Many of the compounds used are only dangerous because they have lead in them, but most bullets do also. Also, there are lead free mixes that can be used if one desires.

Given that one can reload primers without there being any explosive in existence outside the cup, there is no more danger to life and limb than there is with handling store bought primers. If doing it the old fashioned way, the commercial plants only make small batches at a time. When I've use the old fashioned way of doing it, I do so in batches that are around the amount of the explosive that is in roll of caps for a toy cap gun.

Keep in mind that any commercial primer that isn't lead free will have lead oxide(bad stuff) in it after they are used. So even when doing common reloading one needs to be careful about safety in this area.

What in process of doing this would require a fume hood, analytic balances or titration equipment?

Don't you think tinkering around should be done before a true SHTF situation? If one worries about such things.

FWIW. The explosive use in strike any where matches or what is used in toy caps is much more sensitive than any normal primer mix. It is simple to test.
perotter

Postby perotter on Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:44 am

MJY65 wrote:
usnret wrote: If a person is doing it because they are afraid of running out due to a shortage, then buy, buy, buy now.

Exactly. For a few thousand dollars you could buy enough primers to last several lifetimes. Those would fit in a relatively small storage cabinet. Remember, in a true SHTF situation, you aren't going to be using 10k per year shooting IDPA. If you are in enough gunfights to use 100,000 primers, a bullet will find you and you won't need any more.

I used to reload and shoot 50-75,000 rounds a year. I'm getting old so I'd consider about 200,000 primers a life time supply. With store bought that would be 14 pounds of explosive to store and cost about $6000. A two year supply is pushing the limit of my comfort area for safety.

For about $30 one can have enough non-explosive non-poisonous chemicals to make 1,000,000 primers. Plus, handy for when there is ice on the side walk.

Just to be clear I buy primers. Reloading them has been a hobby and a just in case endeavour. I did make reloading plates that would allow for making thousand or so a day, but normally only make up 25-100 of them at a time.

Seems everyone has a different definition of a true SHTF situation.

I see it as a 1930's type of thing where money is to hard to come by and a shooting hobby might not be possible because of very limited funds. Then there are those who think it is some kind of war.

For those who think it is some kind of war here's a thought. Back home in Wisconsin when I was a kid I knew two guys who had been machine gunners on the Eastern front from 1939-1945. They would have fired 3,000 rounds per day of battle and often for 3 days in a row. Figure they fired between 200,000 and 250,000 rounds in battle. Obviously they survived the war in good enough shape to farm or be a doctor.
perotter

Postby Erud on Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:26 am

Perotter,
75k rounds/year is definitely a lot of rounds. What type of shooting were you doing at that time to get to that kind of number? Just curious.
Erud

Postby MJY65 on Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:09 am

perotter wrote:I see it as a 1930's type of thing where money is to hard to come by and a shooting hobby might not be possible because of very limited funds.

My grandfather lived through the depression and told many stories. None of them involved making primers or shooting for fun. They bought factory ammo and used it sparingly to harvest game. I'm pretty sure they were too busy gardening for food and trying to find odd jobs to screw around plinking at cans.
MJY65

Re: Make your own pr

Postby crbutler on Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:27 pm

perotter wrote:
crbutler wrote:....

They are dangerous. No way around it. If the plants that make this stuff have occasional detonations, you can just imagine the issues with untrained home chemists. While I would be willing to tinker around with this in a true SHTF situation, to do so for other reasons strikes me as being rather callously in disregard for life and limb unless you have all the equipment to make sure you are safe (fume hood, analytic balances, titration equipment to verify concentration, etc.). You should also have some sort of explosive license I think if you don't want trouble with the friendly folks at ATF.
t...

No explosive license in needed because they are for small arms use of a personal nature.

Many of the compounds used are only dangerous because they have lead in them, but most bullets do also. Also, there are lead free mixes that can be used if one desires.

Given that one can reload primers without there being any explosive in existence outside the cup, there is no more danger to life and limb than there is with handling store bought primers. If doing it the old fashioned way, the commercial plants only make small batches at a time. When I've use the old fashioned way of doing it, I do so in batches that are around the amount of the explosive that is in roll of caps for a toy cap gun.

Keep in mind that any commercial primer that isn't lead free will have lead oxide(bad stuff) in it after they are used. So even when doing common reloading one needs to be careful about safety in this area.

What in process of doing this would require a fume hood, analytic balances or titration equipment?

Don't you think tinkering around should be done before a true SHTF situation? If one worries about such things.

FWIW. The explosive use in strike any where matches or what is used in toy caps is much more sensitive than any normal primer mix. It is simple to test.

You were doing something a bit different then.

Lead syphanate synthesis exposes you to lead, yes... that is not the big risk though. But the chance of explosion with putting it in to cups or plates is high. Especially if you don't know how to do it, technique wise. The repeatability of those primers is not so great unless you standardize the mix. Let me guess, you didn't talk with the ATF about explosives manufacturing, or discuss this with your insurance company? I was told by an ATF agent if I was going to make my own priming I needed an FFL, as that was not exempted under the own use reloading rules. Black powder was, at least at that time. I believe you need an -07 FFL. It probably is grounds to revoke your insurance as well.

Fulminate of mercury (old corrosive priming)is even more toxic, although reportedly more stable and easier to make.

If you were making some home brew chemical in each cup, it may have been relatively safe to do, but would have very little pressure consistency.

A little searching on the Internet will find all kinds of ways to make some form of priming compounds, some from relatively easy to get over the counter chemicals. It's not the impossible to do thing, but rather her you can buy a lot better, and unless you know what you are doing, the risks are high of some kind of mishap.

You really are a high volume guy if you were making 50,000 plus round a year!

I thought I was doing a lot when I loaded for my whole family, and between my USPSA, IDPA, 3Gun, sporting clays, and hunting plus practice sessions, I was loading around 25,000 a year back then. Now it's around just under 10k a year, and some of the odd stuff does pile up, like left over hunting ammo.
crbutler

Postby perotter on Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:26 pm

Erud wrote:Perotter,
75k rounds/year is definitely a lot of rounds. What type of shooting were you doing at that time to get to that kind of number? Just curious.

Aside from load development and hunting, off hand target practice with rifles(bolt and lever actions). Mostly at 100 and 220 yards. I shot every day when it wasn't snowing heavy for at least a few hours.

FWIW. I kept a routine schedule. For example, every week night before bed time(12:30 AM) I cast bullets and finished cleaning rifles week days 1st thing in the morning(5:30 AM).
perotter

Postby perotter on Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:30 pm

MJY65 wrote:
perotter wrote:I see it as a 1930's type of thing where money is to hard to come by and a shooting hobby might not be possible because of very limited funds.

My grandfather lived through the depression and told many stories. None of them involved making primers or shooting for fun. They bought factory ammo and used it sparingly to harvest game. I'm pretty sure they were too busy gardening for food and trying to find odd jobs to screw around plinking at cans.

My uncles plinked at cans during the 1930's and bought brand new guns. My grandpa wasn't a shooter, but did build a new barn and buy a new tractor(etc) during the 1930's.
perotter

Previous

Return to Ammunition & Reloading