Brass and lead poisoning

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Brass and lead poisoning

Postby Sigfan220 on Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:12 pm

This is the story... I started sorting and selling brass (for reloading) a little over a year ago. This year things really went well, maybe due to Obama. This year alone I have sorted roughly 500lbs of brass. This got me to thinking, how good it this for my health. Not good at all.... I was tested this week and it turns out I have lead poisoning :shock: but not really bad bad just 12mcg/dl (10 is considered max). My suspicion – the brass. It is typically pretty dusty and dirty. Some of the dust may go airborne but most just ends up on my hands. Kind of a bad deal so after this last 380lbs I'm quitting.

I's still undecided on bullet casting, we'll wait till spring and see how things look.
Sigfan220

Re: Brass and lead poisoning

Postby 870TC on Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:36 am

Lead dust is the easiest way to get elevated lead levels in your blood stream. You inhale it, and don't realize it. Ever blow your nose after sorting brass, or shooting and it comes out gray/black? well thats partially lead dust.
The worst part about casting is the dust or handling the lead, then not washing your hands. Not the fumes from melting.(assuming you have clean alloy to start with, not misc. scrap lead) Most of the toxic stuff from lead is not released into the air (as fumes) until you are above 900 degrees, and all your casting will be at about 750 or less depending on your alloy mix.
870TC

Postby Pinnacle on Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:44 am

Wear a mask and gloves when you are handling THAT much lead and brass - or lead covered brass and you should not have a problem as long as you are outside - or in a well vented area.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby mnglocker on Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:48 am

Not just a mask, get a resperator. They're a little more spendy and you'll have to replace cartidges $15-30ish but they actually do something for you.
-Get a rope Tuco.
What happens in the basement stays in the basement.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
mnglocker

Postby Squib Joe on Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:22 pm

Those levels shouldn't be a concern (unless your under 12).
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Sigfan220 on Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:26 pm

Squib Joe wrote:Those levels shouldn't be a concern (unless your under 12).

I didn't look into it too much. The nurse just provided the report, the normal range is 0-10. She did state that at 12 they don't do anything. As I recal 25 is when things are really bad. I am 27 and hope to have kids someday, I can't imagine even this will help.

I'll try a mask and gloves, this should help. For casting - I'll probably just increase ventilation. I only cast about 3 days a year so it's probably not a big deal.
Sigfan220

Postby mnglocker on Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:47 pm

Sigfan220 wrote:

I didn't look into it too much. The nurse just provided the report, the normal range is 0-10. She did state that at 12 they don't do anything. As I recal 25 is when things are really bad. I am 27 and hope to have kids someday, I can't imagine even this will help.

I'll try a mask and gloves, this should help. For casting - I'll probably just increase ventilation. I only cast about 3 days a year so it's probably not a big deal.

Cast in your garage with the doors open or outside.
-Get a rope Tuco.

mnglocker

Postby 1911fan on Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:53 pm

Read up. There are fairly simple ways to lower your lead counts. Certain juices will leach if from your system over time.
1911fan

Postby Squib Joe on Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:56 pm

Sigfan220 wrote:

50 or 60 is when things get really bad, or over 20 for a prolonged period (years).

Accuracy is also, I believe, at least a couple of parts plus or minus.

You could hit 12 just by eating certain foods
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Sigfan220 on Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:14 pm

1911fan wrote:Read up. There are fairly simple ways to lower your lead counts. Certain juices will leach if from your system over time.

That's what I was thinking. Didn't have much of a chance to look into it this weekend. To much loading and shooting :D
Sigfan220

Postby Sigfan220 on Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:16 pm

Any chance you guys have been tested?? I wonder if this is just a typical number for a moderate-high volume shooter/reloader.
Sigfan220

Postby mnglocker on Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:25 pm

Sigfan220 wrote:Any chance you guys have been tested?? I wonder if this is just a typical number for a moderate-high volume shooter/reloader.

I know Jac714 has been tested, perhaps he'll drop his $0.02 on it.
-Get a rope Tuco.

mnglocker

Postby Keith on Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:42 pm

I had mine tested several years ago after running an indoor league for two winters and it came back at 33. Doc didn't seem too worried but I backed off of indoor shooting (basically stopped) and got real careful about dealing with lead dust. Last winter I had my new doc check and it is down to 10.
Yeah, but I shoot with THIS hand.
Keith

Postby Widge on Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:56 pm

Wear one of these:

A N95 mask, available for about $0.70 (in boxes of 15) from your local hardware store. They last a few uses providing you don't get them wet or covered in oil.
I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
Widge

Postby Squib Joe on Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:02 pm

My results have ranged between 8 and 20 (blood tests are pretty much mandatory for range employees). My doctor was also generally unconcerned.
Squib Joe

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading