What .22LR bulk ammo do you prefer?

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

What .22LR bulk ammo do you prefer?

Postby ijosef on Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:21 pm

Despite having acquired several firearms over the past two years, I didn't have anything chambered in .22LR. Fortunately I remedied that by pickup up a nice used Marlin Model 60 from brotherslims. I went to the WalMart in West Saint Paul and bought three bulk packs of ammunition - one of each brand they carried (they have plenty left, by the way). They were all about the same price (just under $16 a brick... I remember when they were under $7 a brick just a handful of years ago :(), so I decided to try them all out. Anyway, I bought Winchester, Remington Golden Bullet, and a Federal value pack. Which of these, if any, do you prefer and why?

ijosef

Re: What .22LR bulk ammo do you prefer?

Postby mmcnx2 on Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:31 pm

My ruger will eat just about anything but accuracy wise it likes Federal.
My Model 41 does not seem to feed the Federal stuff and my Anshutz really, really likes Fiocchi match grade.
mmcnx2

Postby DeanC on Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:32 pm

I've had about equal luck with the Winchesters and the Federals. The Remingtons have been disappointing for me in more than one gun. Yet, I still bought a pack last time I saw them because it was the only one I saw.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby mnglocker on Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:34 pm

My Marlin prefers Reminton Bulk, as to the rest, I feed most of them what ever is on sale, the only exception to the rule is that my NAA Mini doesn't get Winchester. The brass it too soft and can cause sympathetic discharges.
-Get a rope Tuco.
What happens in the basement stays in the basement.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
mnglocker

Postby infidel on Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:45 pm

I like the Federal, and it is a local company. The bullets in the Remington cartridges seem to be very loose in comparison.
“If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team.” - John Ashley

Disclaimer: Do not assume from this post, that I either agree or disagree with any other issue brought up in this thread.
infidel

Postby Spike on Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:53 pm

Federal Target if you can get them. Otherwise lately it's been whatever is on the shelf.
Spike

Postby Shipyard on Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:13 pm

i have had excellent results with the federal - never a failure to feed or fire in any .22 i've had. the remmington has had several failure to fires in my 10/22. never tried the winschester stuff.

i jsut stick with the federal for bulk. i use CCI stuff if i want to shoot unplated.
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Postby 870TC on Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:53 pm

I use the Federal bulk the most, feeds well and always goes bang. Only tried one box of the Win bulk, but it worked good to.
Can't say I have had any luck using Remington rimfire (other than the Eley primed premium stuff). The rem-golden bullet and bulk, chrono-graphs all over the place, they even sound different between shots.
870TC

Postby ex-LT on Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:18 pm

My experience with the Winchester ammo has varied.

Last fall, I went to the range with my Marlin 981T. Put 1/2 box downrange - no misfires.
Last weekend, I went with my Marlin 60. I quit counting at 25 misfires. The real kicker, on about 2/3 of them, if I ran them back through, they would fire. Day ended when I had an FTE, and couldn't get the spent case out of the chamber.

YMMV
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby Belgiboy on Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:50 pm

+1 on the Federal bulk. My Marlin 39A feeds and shoots all .22 lr well but the federal bulk is nearly 100% reliable in my little girls' P22. I wish they sold CCI minimags in bulk.
I have a Colt Python and you don't so what do I care...

Mom, Dad.... I'm Gaelic

http://www.zazzle.com/belgiboy/gifts
Belgiboy

Postby Norsesmithy on Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:02 pm

I've still got 15 or 16 Federal Bulk Packs stored up from Summer 08, but the one I'm shooting out of now has been terrible. 6 or 7 duds per hundred or so.

So lately, I've been buying a box or two of that Centurion Target per week.

I've also got a whole pile of CCI Velocitors, they shoot real accurate out of my Kimber .22 Conversion kit for my Warrior.

Got several boxes of CB longs too, for shooting gophers without freaking out the horses.
Norsesmithy

Postby Grandpa Rex on Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:51 pm

I have used all three. Most work well in my rifles but two of my pistols don't like the Remmington.
If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance.
Grandpa Rex

Postby BBeckwith on Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:55 pm

Federal Bulk seems to feed best in my Sig Mosquito
BBeckwith

Postby xd9 on Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:33 pm

another +1 for Federal Bulk.

Remington 22lr ammo seem to cause my Ruger Mk III nothing but problems. And I hear the S&W M&P 15-22 has alot of issues with them.
But Federal Bulk seem to work just fine in both of those for me.
xd9

Postby scout on Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:08 am

I bought a case of Federal Bulk (375 rounds), shot the entire box through my Ruger MKII and didn't have a single issue.
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither..."
-Benjamin Franklin

The 3 Rules: 1. Always look cool 2. Never get lost 3. If you get lost, look cool.
scout

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading