Remington .22 bulk pack rim or my gun?

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Remington .22 bulk pack rim or my gun?

Postby White Horseradish on Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:10 pm

I took a SIG mosquito and a 226 with a .22 conversion out for a walk to day. I brought along a bulk pack of Remington.

The Mosquito refused to run. Most rounds did not extract. I looked at a round in the chamber and it looks like the rim is too small for the extractor to grab. It looks to be even with the edge of the groove the extractor rides in.

The 226 conversion ran great.

So, is this a Remington problem or a SIG problem? Do the widths of the rim vary a lot?
"I have come to kick a** and chew bubblegum." <racks shotgun> "And I'm all out of bubblegum."

--John Nada, "They Live"
White Horseradish

Re: Remington .22 bulk pack rim or my gun?

Postby MisterOblivious on Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Probably both. Mosquitos have a reputation for being fussy eaters and the Remington bulk tends to get more complaints than the other bulks.
Narrow it down a bit; run some MiniMags through it. "If a .22 won't run minimags there's something wrong with it."
MisterOblivious

Postby darthdahl on Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:46 pm

I had a Mosquito that would not extract Remington Thunderbolt - usually 2 to 3 out of ten would not extract. I went to CCI and never had a problem again.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
All-Around Good Guy
darthdahl

Postby 870TC on Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:45 pm

Check out Rimfire central.com They have forums on specific guns and on ammo. Lots of good info .
870TC

Postby 1911fan on Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:25 pm

One thing to check, it seems a lot of rimfires get a little crud under the extractor in the groove in the bolt, and into the recess that extractor fits into in the barrel. A good hosing out with brake cleaner or gun scrubber followed by a blast of hot air often works wonders. If you do not have either available, some sort of small pick or even a paper clip used to dislodge the crud will allow the extractor to return to full operation. older remington and springfield rifles will sometimes show a solid baked on layer there, yet still run ok, because they seemed to build in clearances for that, many other makes of .22 do not allow for that and it can seem like nothing short of a new extractor will fix it when in fact just getting that bit of junk out from under the extractor or barrel slot will fix.
1911fan

Postby ex-LT on Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:36 am

I have a Mosquito, and IIRC the ONLY ammunition they recommend is CCI MiniMag. I do know that mine will cycle CCI Blazer flawlessly. I think the main issue is that it needs to be rated for at least 1260 fps muzzle velocity.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby White Horseradish on Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:16 am

I've had some trouble with bulk pack in other .22 pistols because of load inconsistency - the weaker cartridges would not throw the slide back far enough for it to build momentum for extractor to snap over the rim. This doesn't look like that. In that situation I could pull the slide back by hand, let it go, and then the casing would extract. Here I had to pry it out with a knife. The casing wasn't stuck - it came out easily. It's just that the extractor wasn't catching it.
"I have come to kick a** and chew bubblegum." <racks shotgun> "And I'm all out of bubblegum."

--John Nada, "They Live"
White Horseradish

Return to Ammunition & Reloading