new to reloading ... help with starter setup?

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: new to reloading ... help with starter setup?

Postby rugersol on Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:05 am

wdm004 wrote:Looks like a Redding powder measure on your LnL AP. Does it auto-actuate, or do you throw charges manually?

RCBS ... started with a Lee Turret ... and the RCBS Uniflow ... got 'em both converted to Quick Change, now. They seem to throw a bit better than the Hornady's. Image

... oh ya, they're automatic ... only way to go! :mrgreen:
Last edited by rugersol on Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby rugersol on Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:06 am

farmerj wrote:
ahrens wrote:I don't think that "farmer" guy likes me. Image

Couldn't care either way.

T'wood have been better had I known you really had that set-up to begin with....

Ah! ... but then it wouldn't have been funny! :mrgreen:
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
rugersol

Postby timwarner on Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:13 am

christ.

:roll:
Tim
USPSA club MN07
http://ipsc.krok.us
timwarner

Postby farmerj on Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:14 am

raining there too huh....
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby timwarner on Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:14 am

Who let ahrens onto their computer?
Tim
USPSA club MN07
http://ipsc.krok.us
timwarner

Postby rugersol on Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:43 am

timwarner wrote:Who let ahrens onto their computer?

You're just mad about he "LoadMaster" joke ... 'cause, in your case, it wasn't a joke! :mrgreen:
rugersol

Postby rugersol on Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:45 am

farmerj wrote:raining there too huh....

That, and watching the kids ... Momma worked at the hospital last nite .. gonna do it again, tonite. Image

Great day for rain! :mrgreen:
rugersol

Postby Seismic Sam on Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:57 pm

Thank God I got into this thread late, although the original tone was so clueless that I probably would have just said nothing...

In the meantime, my "Man Room" has 10x the skin on the walls that yours does, rookie!!

Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby RAGGED on Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:17 pm

ahrens wrote:
wdm004 wrote:Looks like a Redding powder measure on your LnL AP. Does it auto-actuate, or do you throw charges manually?

RCBS ... started with a Lee Turret ... and the RCBS Uniflow ... got 'em both converted to Quick Change, now. They seem to throw a bit better than the Hornady's. Image

... oh ya, they're automatic ... only way to go! :mrgreen:

Odd, I find the Hornady to throw very well even compared to the Harrell’s Prem. Benchrest I run, at any rate nice to see another red press, there is a whole mess of blue blooded folk on here.

P.S. Where is the LNL measure off the press? If its not in use want to sell it?
RAGGED

Postby rugersol on Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:36 pm

RAGGED wrote:P.S. Where is the LNL measure off the press? If its not in use want to sell it?

I sold one ... keepin' the other one ... ya seen the prices for a new Quick Change Uniflow PLUS the case-activated linkage? Image

As for the accuracy, it's not like I did any kind of scientific study or nothin' ... that's just the way it SEEMED. Works good now, so I ain't in a hurry to "fix" it. Image
rugersol

Postby rugersol on Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:39 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:In the meantime, my "Man Room" has 10x the skin on the walls that yours does, rookie!!

Ah! ... that takes me back! ... looks just like my room, when I was 14yr-old.

Nice job! :mrgreen:

All I see is a Lyman turret ... where's the rest? Image
rugersol

Postby Seismic Sam on Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:48 am

The Lyman turret is all there is. Used a $7.56 Lee Loader in 9mm for about two years, Got a Lyman Spar-T that I wore out after about 25, and the last 11 have been with this press. When the bulk of what you shoot is 50 caliber or something that kicks just as hard, there isn't much point in getting a press that can run out 2,000 rounds of ammo more quickly than a turret press.

Besides which, I'm retired now. Don't got no steekeng job, don't want no steekeng job, and I find manual handloading very relaxing.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby rugersol on Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:09 am

Seismic Sam wrote:Besides which, I'm retired now. Don't got no steekeng job, don't want no steekeng job, and I find manual handloading very relaxing.

My buddy's retired ... and he's got a Lyman turret (I talked his g/f into buyin' fer him a couple Christmas's ago). He's also got a Lee Turret. 'Tween the two, he loads thousands of rounds of .45acp, 9mm, and .45 Colt over the summer. Nothing at all wrong with a turret, if ya got a little extra time! Image
rugersol

Postby westberg on Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:15 am

ahrens wrote:
Seismic Sam wrote:Besides which, I'm retired now. Don't got no steekeng job, don't want no steekeng job, and I find manual handloading very relaxing.

My buddy's retired ... and he's got a Lyman turret (I talked his g/f into buyin' fer him a couple Christmas's ago). He's also got a Lee Turret. 'Tween the two, he loads thousands of rounds of .45acp, 9mm, and .45 Colt over the summer. Nothing at all wrong with a turret, if ya got a little extra time! Image

This isn't the buddy who hung himself is it? :lol: My first thought it must have been one of your Cowboy buddies, a USPSA shooter would do a double tap............ :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
westberg

Postby rugersol on Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:23 am

westberg wrote:
ahrens wrote:My buddy's retired ... and he's got a Lyman turret (I talked his g/f into buyin' fer him a couple Christmas's ago). He's also got a Lee Turret. 'Tween the two, he loads thousands of rounds of .45acp, 9mm, and .45 Colt over the summer. Nothing at all wrong with a turret, if ya got a little extra time! Image

This isn't the buddy who hung himself is it? :lol: My first thought it must have been one of your Cowboy buddies, a ISPSA shooter would do a double tap............ :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

Image It's actually Jack. 'Course, ya might not remember him ... he's been promising to make Oakdale every Thursday for the last 3 weeks ... and has come up with some lame excuse, every time. Image

I ain't gonna have any cowboy buddies too much longer. Ain't shot a cowboy match fer over a month, now. Image

Tryin' to decide now, if I should do the GR&R Points match Saturday, or try a new cowboy club up by Del-Ton (actually, I think it is Del-Ton).
rugersol

PreviousNext

Return to Ammunition & Reloading