Lake City 223 crimped primer pockets?

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Lake City 223 crimped primer pockets?

Postby DeanC on Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:28 am

Does anybody know if Lake City 223 brass uses crimped primer pockets?
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Re: Lake City 223 crimped primer pockets?

Postby JFettig on Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:37 am

Yes, it does. I just use a primer punch to remove them, then you need to ream with a primer pocket reamer.
I will be getting a lee universal decaping die soon.(use the lee brand, its stronger and can be replaced easily I've heard)

My method of preping those cases is to punch all the primers with a primer punch or a decaping die, I then chuck up a small countersink(O flute preferably) and just take the edge off, I mean like a .002-.005" chamfer on there, then I chuck up the primer pocket reamer and ream all the primer pockets with that. I also trim the cases with a lee case trimmer chucked up in my lathe(I chuck all these items up in the lathe, its just easiest for me, you can use a hand drill or drill press)

Jon
JFettig

Postby Pinnacle on Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:36 am

The Dillon Tool is a great investment - just make sure to set it up right (Ask the Oracle)

I have heard tell about making the pockets too big - primers fall out... OOPS...

But otherwise it is a helll of a tool and get this job done fast.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby DeanC on Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:07 pm

Ok thanks, so then if someone had copious amounts of 223 brass and was planning on selling it, it makes sense to sort by headstamp, segregating out the LC's?

Luckily, we have more FC than anything and a goodly amount of RP.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby Pinnacle on Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:28 am

I have noticed that most all of the commercial 223 out there is crimped now - American Eagle had some out some months ago that was. So De Crimping is almost not an option anymore.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby DeanC on Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:32 am

Pinnacle wrote:So De Crimping is almost not an option anymore.

Don't you mean, decrimping is pretty much required now.
DeanC

Postby EJSANDSTROM on Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:50 am

FWIW, all of my LC (approx 750 pieces) is not crimpped. My Federal is. There are alot of people (myself included) that will swage it for you for a small percentage of the brass. If you are looking to buy a Super Swage, the best place localy is Gun Stop. They had it for less than other online retailers.
I kill tincans, milk jugs, and fruit, with out giving it a second thought. This is also how I answer my posts.
EJSANDSTROM

Postby JFettig on Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:44 am

EJSANDSTROM wrote:FWIW, all of my LC (approx 750 pieces) is not crimpped. My Federal is. There are alot of people (myself included) that will swage it for you for a small percentage of the brass. If you are looking to buy a Super Swage, the best place localy is Gun Stop. They had it for less than other online retailers.

Are your LC brass from reloads for factory reloads? When it comes from ultramax or black hills, they cut out or swage the primer pocket.

How much is the super swage at Gun Stop?

Jon
JFettig

Postby KiltedGunner on Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:18 pm

First shot LC ammo is ALWAYS crimped.
KiltedGunner

Postby Einthoven's Triangle on Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:57 am

[quote="JFettig

Are your LC brass from reloads for factory reloads? When it comes from ultramax or black hills, they cut out or swage the primer pocket.

Jon[/quote]
Not completely true as Red Box BHA has crimped primers......................in 223
Einthoven's Triangle

Postby EJSANDSTROM on Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:09 am

JFettig wrote:
EJSANDSTROM wrote:FWIW, all of my LC (approx 750 pieces) is not crimpped. My Federal is. There are alot of people (myself included) that will swage it for you for a small percentage of the brass. If you are looking to buy a Super Swage, the best place localy is Gun Stop. They had it for less than other online retailers.

Jon

IIRC all of the LC stuff is from Ultramax. I think the SS was $78 or there about.
I kill tincans, milk jugs, and fruit, with out giving it a second thought. This is also how I answer my posts.
EJSANDSTROM

Return to Ammunition & Reloading