Thank You! Thank You! RE:Removing military Crimp

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Thank You! Thank You! RE:Removing military Crimp

Postby DonT on Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:22 pm

Ok before someone says it I know the easiest way is to buy brass without the crimp. But I have about 1,500 rounds with the crimp and I am looking for an easier way than what I am using to remove it.

Currently I am using a cutter designed to remove the crimp by lee or hornady. It has a tapered cutter that is adjustable for depth and you turn it in a drill or in my case in my lathe and you run the deprimed brass against it till it hits the stop. It works but after a few hunderd rounds last nite I can't feel the tip of my finger from holding onto the brass and pushing it against the cutter.

So I know there are some swaging tools out there like the one made by dillion and wanted to find out if anyone has used anything else that works well?? If you have the dillion tool do you like it, is it fairly fast????

Thanks for the input..

DonT
Last edited by DonT on Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
DonT
DonT

Re: What is the easiest way to remove the military Crimp

Postby MNIceMan on Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:41 pm

RCBS makes a set for your single stage press to compress the crimp instead of removing it..
MN DNR FAS Instructor
NRA Life Member
"We all have our own Green Mile to walk. How will yours be?"
MNIceMan

Postby Bessy on Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:10 pm

This is THE best option....

http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/25290/catid/8/Super_Swage_600_parts

I have one, easy fast effective... with any swager you need to sort brass by manufacturer some have deeper primer pockets and what not. I wouldn't waste my money on any other product.... especially if you are doing any kind of volume work.
In Soviet Russia program executes you!
Bessy

Postby gyrfalcon on Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:34 pm

Have you tried depriming all the cases and just tumbling them for a while in walnut media? The Dillon 1050 has a swaging rod built into it to get rid of the crimp... Other progressive presses can be modified similarly with a bit of ingenuity. RCBS sells a kit for single stage presses to swage it as well:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=447022
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby forcefed on Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:36 pm

Bessy wrote:This is THE best option....

http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/25290/catid/8/Super_Swage_600_parts

I have one, easy fast effective... with any swager you need to sort brass by manufacturer some have deeper primer pockets and what not. I wouldn't waste my money on any other product.... especially if you are doing any kind of volume work.

+eleventy billion. That is THE easiest way. I have one of the RCBS dies and have used the Dillon. This is the only way to go
forcefed

Postby DonT on Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:41 pm

Dillion it is.. I don't mind spending (choke choke) the money if it works and makes my life a little easier.....

Thanks for the input folks...

DonT
DonT
DonT

Postby gyrfalcon on Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:51 pm

DonT wrote:Dillion it is.. I don't mind spending (choke choke) the money if it works and makes my life a little easier.....

1050 would make life very easy if you're okay with spending the money. :D
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby jac714 on Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:10 pm

DonT wrote:Ok before someone says it I know the easiest way is to buy brass without the crimp. But I have about 1,500 rounds with the crimp and I am looking for an easier way than what I am using to remove it.

Currently I am using a cutter designed to remove the crimp by lee or hornady. It has a tapered cutter that is adjustable for depth and you turn it in a drill or in my case in my lathe and you run the deprimed brass against it till it hits the stop. It works but after a few hunderd rounds last nite I can't feel the tip of my finger from holding onto the brass and pushing it against the cutter.

So I know there are some swaging tools out there like the one made by dillion and wanted to find out if anyone has used anything else that works well?? If you have the dillion tool do you like it, is it fairly fast????

Thanks for the input..

DonT

I have a Dillon tool adn it is as fast as you want it to be, a single stroke of the handle per case and the crimp is gone for ever, I can swag cases faster than I can load them on my Dillon 550.
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."

IFIA MCPPA Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor
jac714

Postby Bessy on Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:23 pm

jac714 wrote:
I have a Dillon tool and it is as fast as you want it to be, a single stroke of the handle per case and the crimp is gone for ever, I can swag cases faster than I can load them on my Dillon 550.

The Dillon tool is one of those things you don't use that often (at least I don't), but you are happy as hell to have when you need it. Mine has paid for it's self in beer, since i have friends who reload.

"Hey Bessy can I borrow your swager for the weekend?"
"For a 4 pack of dragon's milk you can have it all week"

rinse and repeat.
In Soviet Russia program executes you!
Bessy

Postby MNIceMan on Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:15 pm

I have a small single stage that I keep my RCBS swage set in. Works as good as the Dillon.
MN DNR FAS Instructor
NRA Life Member
"We all have our own Green Mile to walk. How will yours be?"
MNIceMan

Postby usnret on Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:12 am

The RCBS does not work as good as the Dillon. I had the RCBS and then I got the Dillon and the Dillon works 1000% better!
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby gyrfalcon on Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:25 am

usnret wrote:The RCBS does not work as good as the Dillon. I had the RCBS and then I got the Dillon and the Dillon works 1000% better!

Eh? They both swage the primer pocket of any crimps... The Dillon should work better or quicker considering it costs around 3x as much.
gyrfalcon

Postby forcefed on Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:50 am

Its a billion times quicker. I have used both
forcefed

Postby 45Badger on Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:08 pm

forcefed wrote:Its a billion times quicker. I have used both

A gazillion times faster. And I have not found a way to break it (bent the bars on the RCBS)
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Postby gyrfalcon on Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:57 pm

It's not THAT much quicker :D It's easier and a lot harder to mess up, but both tools work fine.

gyrfalcon

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading