Rhinoplasty

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Rhinoplasty

Postby Rodentman on Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:25 am

This one needs a rhinoplasty...

It's on its way back to Guido and Luigi for light strikes...

The strikes are off center and some are rather weak. Yeah, they all fired, eventually, but if they don't go bang on the first try I consider that an issue.

Yeah, yeah, I know...reloads. But I really doubt I had seated the primers so deep to cause strikes this light. In fact, if you press the primers in too hard won't they just flatten out, but not really go appreciably deeper than normal? Anyway, I have a light touch on the priming tool.

If I don't get the gun back in my lifetime, it'll go into my alleged estate and the kids will get it.
Rodentman

Re: Rhinoplasty

Postby rugersol on Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:30 am

Ya can get light strikes if ya the primers ain't seated deep 'nuff!

Try any factory?
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby Rodentman on Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:44 am

The two on the right are factory. I fired some of them and they went bang the first time. However, i've loaded lots of .38's and .357's and lots of other calibers and never had this issue. Well except for the 329NG which WAS diagnosed with a short FP and I had an extended FP installed.

I feel my reloads are good, and if a gun won't fire them, I don't want the gun. We'll see what they say. There are documented cases of the Rhinos having this problem.
Rodentman

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:15 am

Damn, that's uglier than I am, and I'm a troll!!!

I'd be more concerned with the seriously off center strikes, which could be part of the failure to ignite. The whole point of the anvil in the CENTER of the primer is to give the firing pin something to crush the priming compound against, and if you're that far off center the anvil won't help much. Could be either a faulure to lock up properly, or a too large firing pin hole, or something else I can't think of, but the gun may have something seriously out of whack in its innards.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Rodentman on Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:34 am

Yeah, and the innards are complexicated rather than simplificated in this piece. And yes indeed it is ugly. Maybe I should have bought the used DE .50AE I saw for $1,250. That sucker was heavy! But I can't have everything, can I? Why can't I have everything? I want everything...Please can I have everything?
Rodentman

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:09 am

If you go to Gunstop, they sometimes have used DE 50's for $999, which is a fair price. $1,250 is a rip-off. It's a hoot to shoot, and apart from having to change out the springs every once in a while, is pretty much indestructable, reliable, and damed accurate provided you build up the strength in your gun arm. I suspect that Rhino you have does have serious mechanical issues. Never seen primer strikes that far off center with another revolver, but my revolver experience is limited.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Rodentman on Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:40 pm

Rhino back from service. I haven't test fired it yet, but the service slip reads, "Gunsmith found a protrusion on hammer interfering with lockwork, refitted, test fired."

Not sure what "hammer" means on this pistol but at least it wasn't my imagination or reloads that caused the light strikes. Will advise after next range trip....
Rodentman

Postby Rodentman on Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:56 pm

Took the Rhino to the range today. Fired fine in SA but DA again left some very weak and worse, horribly off center strikes.

It's going back again. On a more positive note, my 5.7x28 reloads with both Blew Dot and True Blew worked great. No I didn't mix the powders in the same case. Now hopefully I won't get those 2 powder names mixed up. I loaded 5.4g of True Blew with a 40g Nosler. Some guys on the 5.7 forum load over 6g. Not sure I'd want to do that. I'm pretty happy at the :low: end with the 5.7. They sang pretty nicely for me at 5.4g.
Rodentman

Postby timwarner on Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:04 pm

Too bad they didn't copy the metaba in any form other than the lower cylinder barrel alignment.
I'd be all over it then.

"The Mateba Mo. 6 uses the recoil from firing to rotate the cylinder and cock the hammer, unlike conventional revolvers, which depend on the user physically pulling the trigger and/or cocking the hammer to actuate the weapon's mechanism of operation."

Semi-auto revolver?
Tim
USPSA club MN07
http://ipsc.krok.us
timwarner

Postby Squib Joe on Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:17 am

timwarner wrote:
Semi-auto revolver?

Yep, but not the first. The Mateba got that idea from the Webley-Fosbery. I think the Mateba Number 6 is on my list of guns to get before I die.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby samginko on Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:38 am

Had a chance at a used one for $450, ten years ago. Chuck it up with all the other regrets.
samginko

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:19 pm

Actually, you're REALLY not going to want to hear this, but seeing as you have said that the cylinder rotation is actuated by the recoil of the gun like the incredibly funky Webley-Fosberry automatic revolver, it occurs to me that this gun has a fundamental limitation to a specific LOAD STRENGTH. There is a predicate example of this, which was the Wildey gas-operated semi-auto in 45 Win Mag and also a 475 chambering, and while you could diddle the gas block soemwhat, you then HAD TO TAILOR THE LOAD TO THE GUN AND SHOOT ONLY THAT LOAD!! With 45 Win Mag or 475, this wasn't much of a problem. While it isn't a problem with the Desert Eagle 50AE, who want's to shoot reduced loads with a gun like that??

With a 38/357 Revolver, this would be a HUGE limitation, to the point of making the gun not worth buying. The fact that it's screwing up worse after it got "fixed" is not a good sign.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Squib Joe on Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:32 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:Actually, you're REALLY not going to want to hear this, but seeing as you have said that the cylinder rotation is actuated by the recoil of the gun like the incredibly funky Webley-Fosberry automatic revolver, it occurs to me that this gun has a fundamental limitation to a specific LOAD STRENGTH. There is a predicate example of this, which was the Wildey gas-operated semi-auto in 45 Win Mag and also a 475 chambering, and while you could diddle the gas block soemwhat, you then HAD TO TAILOR THE LOAD TO THE GUN AND SHOOT ONLY THAT LOAD!! With 45 Win Mag or 475, this wasn't much of a problem. While it isn't a problem with the Desert Eagle 50AE, who want's to shoot reduced loads with a gun like that??

With a 38/357 Revolver, this would be a HUGE limitation, to the point of making the gun not worth buying. The fact that it's screwing up worse after it got "fixed" is not a good sign.

The Mateba and Webley were recoil operated, but his Rhino is not. It is a standard SA/DA revolver. And the Mateba did have special recoil springs tailored for both 38 and 357 loads, which seems like a pain. I still want one.

I wonder if your off-center strikes are because of the funky, squared-off cylinder on the gun. Have you tested to see if its a certain chamber giving you those?
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Rodentman on Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:02 pm

No I didn't do that, nor did I test to see if the cylinder was not locking up properly. I just got PO'd and took it directly from the range to the dealer and off it went. As an aside, I just bought a new car and I am having trouble getting the dealer to take care of some issues so I was (am?) pretty fed up with stuff that aint right.
Rodentman

Postby samginko on Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:16 am

Rodentman, when the Rhino came back from the service was it drenched with oil? Dripping, like the whole gun was soaking in it.

Doesn't show pride in workmanship. I think Chiappa will be avoided from now on.
samginko

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading