Law Enforcement Ammunition

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Law Enforcement Ammunition

Postby ree on Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:42 pm

What exactly is "Law Enforcement Ammunition?" Is it just certified to meet certain quality criteria?

Also, is "Law Enforcement Only Ammunition" intended to be that which is deemed too devastating such that we wouldn't want a criminal shooting a cop (or anybody else) with it?

Just curious after having recently bought some boxes of "Law Enforcement Ammo" (e.g. Federal Hydrashoks and Federal Tactical) to test out on a new pistol.
ree

Re: Law Enforcement Ammunition

Postby macphisto on Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:13 pm

AFAIK, it's all marketing. I don't believe there are any such restrictions in this state aside from maybe military tracer rounds and the like.
macphisto

Postby Aceq2jot on Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:34 pm

ree wrote:What exactly is "Law Enforcement Ammunition?" Is it just certified to meet certain quality criteria?

Also, is "Law Enforcement Only Ammunition" intended to be that which is deemed too devastating such that we wouldn't want a criminal shooting a cop (or anybody else) with it?

Just curious after having recently bought some boxes of "Law Enforcement Ammo" (e.g. Federal Hydrashoks and Federal Tactical) to test out on a new pistol.

I believe pinnacle probably can answer this one :D But from what i have read there is no diffrence from the 165 grain hydrashock tacticals i carry and the ones that are sold in boxes labeled law enforcement only.
Really i am your worst Nightmare, for i walk the night and the cover of darkness belongs to me :D

You cant make a pile of Dog shat smell like a rose a bunch of Roses, so why try ???
Aceq2jot

Postby mnglocker on Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:01 am

Aceq2jot wrote:
ree wrote:What exactly is "Law Enforcement Ammunition?" Is it just certified to meet certain quality criteria?

I believe pinnacle probably can answer this one :D But from what i have read there is no diffrence from the 165 grain hydrashock tacticals i carry and the ones that are sold in boxes labeled law enforcement only.

I think the LEO labled version from Federal actually has a bonded bullet for reduced chance of copper and lead seperation.
-Get a rope Tuco.
What happens in the basement stays in the basement.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
mnglocker

Postby ree on Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:09 am

mnglocker wrote:I think the LEO labled version from Federal actually has a bonded bullet for reduced chance of copper and lead seperation.

That does seem to be the case, but what is the rationale for doing this with LEO ammo? Is a means of improving performance? Ensuring greater reliability?
ree

Postby Widge on Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:00 am

It's so they can charge an extra $5 a box. I carry Remingtom 165gr JHP, just like you can buy anywhere.
Widge

Postby JoeH on Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:44 pm

ree wrote:Just curious after having recently bought some boxes of "Law Enforcement Ammo" (e.g. Federal Hydrashoks and Federal Tactical) to test out on a new pistol.

Not to hijack this thread... OK to hijack this thread,

ree, what did you buy?
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby ree on Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:31 pm

I grabbed one box of each of these (50 count) to see if my gun liked them:
- Federal 124 grain Tactical JHP 9mm labeled "Law Enforcement Ammunition" (LE9T1)
- Federal 124 grain Hyrda-shok JPH labeled "Premium Law Enforcement Ammunition" (P9HS1G1)

There seems to be some attempt at clarifying these here (warning 3 years old) where "Steve in Utah" sounds like he's in the know to some degree and refers the Tactical as being for law enforcement use only. But I don't believe everything I read on the Internet.

I've got an email into Federal asking for clarification. If they respond, I'll post the answer.

BTW, your avatar really, kinda looks like you. Except for the color. :lol: ;)
ree

Postby JoeH on Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:14 pm

I'm sorry for not being clear.

:!: What's the new gun? :!:

PS. That isn't me? ;)
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby ree on Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:46 pm

JoeH wrote: :!: What's the new gun? :!:

:oops: The Kahr PM9. I actually purchased the ammo a few weeks ago when the Kahr was newer. It's not new anymore...ample shooting, a little thumb blood, and some 'smith work has already occurred. If my next range trip with it reveals it's still not up to snuff, I'll start looking for something else, starting with the M&P compacts
ree

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:56 pm

I smell marketing..... It has that kind of "full diaper pail smell" to it. About the only REAL LE ammo I could think of would be the FN 5.7 AP ammo, which is restricted. As for 45 or 9mm - I seriously doubt a LEO could get anything better than Corbon or DoubleTap. Those are loaded all the way up to the SAAMI spec pressures, so how would it be possible to go over that and still be safe? (and let's just ignore IPSC 38 Super loads that make Major power factor, ok??)
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby EAJuggalo on Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:25 pm

CCI only sells their 50 rd boxes of Gold Dots to LE suppliers. Thats why you can go into any gun shop and pick up a 20 rd box for 20 bucks but if you make the drive to Streichers you can purchase a 50 rd box for $24. I would think that Federal operates in a similar manner, also on ammunition marked law enforcement the acceptable percentage of failures is much lower than with standard.

As always YMMV and all of this is AFAIK and IIRC.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby Pat on Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:04 pm

What ever happened to "Black Talon" ammo? I think the stuff was made illegal about 20 years back, but I don't remember why.
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:37 am

I don't think Black Tallon ammo was made illegal. Winchester pulled it off the shelf because of the negitive publicity genereted by the anti's and their willing accomplices in the drive by media.

Winchester reintroduced Black Talon a short while later as Fail Safe.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby DeanC on Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:07 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:Winchester reintroduced Black Talon a short while later as Fail Safe.

I thought it was the SXT, widely rumored to stand for: Same eXact Thing.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading