Where to Buy Bullets

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Where to Buy Bullets

Postby JoeH on Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:11 am

I'm looking for recommendations on your favorite places to buy bullets.

I'm thinking that mail order is the way to go. I'll be stocking up in quantities that make the shipping costs work.
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Re: Where to Buy Bullets

Postby Vlad on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:25 am

The two that come to mind is Wolf's Den in Hugo to the north, and Gun Stop in MTKA on the south end of town. They seem to consistently have the largest selection of bullets, powders and knowledge. Sportsman’s Warehouse has the stuff but not the staff to support if you have questions. I wind up paying a bit more at the local places so that I have a relationship and can ask questions. ;)
http://www.Schleifleather.com For custom holsters that fit you and the gun, not to mention show off those Strad grips...

The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression."

--W.E.B. Du Bois,
American scholar and civil rights leader
Vlad

Postby cobb on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:31 am

Vlad wrote:Gun Stop in MTKA on the south end of town. They seem to consistently have the largest selection of bullets, powders and knowledge.

Where do they hide the powder at Gun Stop? I was in there last week and saw just a couple of cans and that is it. No I didn't ask about powder, but I could see everything else.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby JoeH on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:32 am

The last two times that I've been to Gun Stop they have been out of the bullet that I wanted. John has bullets on order but is not getting them.

I've heard from another source too that John is having a hard time getting bullets. We have some supply issues here that will only get worse as the weather warms and more people are shooting.

I'm looking to order ~5000 rounds and believe that mail order is the way to go.

Can anyone suggest an Internet site?
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby Vlad on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:37 am

Cobb,
cobb wrote:
Vlad wrote:Gun Stop in MTKA on the south end of town. They seem to consistently have the largest selection of bullets, powders and knowledge.

Where do they hide the powder at Gun Stop? I was in there last week and saw just a couple of cans and that is it. No I didn't ask about powder, but I could see everything else.

I asked for what I wanted and he got it out of the back.
http://www.Schleifleather.com For custom holsters that fit you and the gun, not to mention show off those Strad grips...

The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression."

--W.E.B. Du Bois,
American scholar and civil rights leader
Vlad

Postby Einthoven's Triangle on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:53 am

The powder is in the back room, ask John and he gets it! Some powders are probelmatic in that VV powders come in batches.
Einthoven's Triangle

Postby 1911fan on Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:13 pm

Fed law and fire codes have strict requirements on how and where powder can be stored. SAAMI has guidelines on how to store the stuff.
1911fan

Postby DeanC on Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:27 am

Great deal on bullets I posted a while ago: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2345&p=24806#p24806

Cabela's has flat rate $4.95 shipping on all orders right now thru 2/22/08 - use promo code 28FLAT at checkout (min $100 purchase). Depending on where you live, you almost can't drive there for $5 in gas.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby Einthoven's Triangle on Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:59 am

Google
Montana Gold Bullets
Powder Valley Inc
Precision Delta as opposed to Precision Bullets
Here is good choice too as he ships in flat rate boxes
http://www.tjconevera.com/index.html

Another thought is go to Nosler Pro Shop
http://www.shootersproshop.com/

They do not have that many handgun bullets, but some times the rifle bullets are really good deals!
Einthoven's Triangle

Postby JFettig on Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:40 am

When I last talked to John at TJ Conevera, they were discontinuing their Winchester bullets because their 500,000 bullet orders weren't big enough to order through winchester and get any reasonable service.

He said they are switching to speer, which it looks like they have gold dots so far, hopefully he can find some good cheap FMJ.

Jon
JFettig

Postby Einthoven's Triangle on Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:38 am

Man, I hope it works for some TMJ's on top of the Gold Dots a few years ago there was place out of AZ? Thunder Mountain that used to have Speer Bulk bullets ie TMJ's. in bulk packs like 3K of 9mm, 2k of 40cal, and 1500 of 45s. He had flat rate shipping!. He quit selling bullets cause Speer could not supply him. Man I was getting 3k packs delivered for 120 bucks of 9mm. UFDA! Oh well if we all knew what prices were going to do we would have bought more in retrospective!
JFettig wrote:When I last talked to John at TJ Conevera, they were discontinuing their Winchester bullets because their 500,000 bullet orders weren't big enough to order through winchester and get any reasonable service.

He said they are switching to speer, which it looks like they have gold dots so far, hopefully he can find some good cheap FMJ.

Jon
Einthoven's Triangle

Postby Gbro on Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:19 am

We lost our fine local gun shop in a fire a couple years ago. (Soup-to-Nuts in GR),
Now it is very hard to get just what I want, especially primers.
Patronize your local shops and request your favored components. You don't want to mail order primers.
Now the only way we can come out on primers is to group together, at the gun club and then your favored brand isn't always the groups. "Support your local shops"
Gbro

Postby gemoose23 on Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:23 pm

Is there a manufacturer local to the Twin Cities that produces good quality Lead bullets?

Looking for .45 ACP in 200gr LSWC.
gemoose23

Postby Rem700 on Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:59 am

Might try doing a search for Leo Dwyer
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby Einthoven's Triangle on Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:00 pm

John at the Gunstop carries Leo's Cast N Blast bullets
Einthoven's Triangle

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading