Noob looking to start reloading

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Noob looking to start reloading

Postby Grgkng on Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:23 pm

Hey guys! I shoot quite a bit, so I figured I would get some advice about reloading. I know nothing about it, and mechanically inept, so how hard is it to get the hang of things? And is there a reloader out there that is more user friendly? Any advice would be appreciated! Probably shoot 6-8000 rounds a year, im guessing.

This is the one I was looking at (mainly because I'd rather get more rounds out in a hour than less, hopefully the learning curve isnt that bad):
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...877/Super_1050

I will be reloading 9mm, .45acp, and .50gi

Thanks all and forgive my ignorance!
Tractus Arms is your Master Dealer for Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Guncrafter Industries, Les Baer, as well as Ed Brown 1911's and many more!
Direct: 651-788-6098
Info@TractusArms.com
http://www.TractusArms.com
Grgkng

Re: Noob looking to start reloading

Postby yuppiejr on Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:03 pm

Get the Lyman 49th edition and Hornady 8th edition reloading manuals and read them. There are also some great "new reloader" threads in this subforum if you search, which I suggest doing - I picked up a lot of great info in other people's threads before I posted my own "newb reloader questions" thread here a few months ago. If you decide to proceed, run to Gunstop and meet John (if you didn't already run there to buy the books) - he will get you the products you need and should help set things up to start - they cost more than online but the relative difference is meaningless when you avoid buying the wrong/less useful components or consider the value of the advice being given. Identifying a reloading mentor might be smart if you can find someone in your area with experience reloading metallic cartridges. Good luck and Merry Christmas!
yuppiejr

Postby DeanC on Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:43 pm

With that kind of volume you do need to reload and you do need to go progressive ultimately. You do need to get thee to Gunstop and, yeah, you need a guru besides John to provide advice. Where do yo live? Progressive presses aren't for noobs.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby user293 on Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:45 pm

"Paging Seismic Sam to the Ammunition & Reloading forum please, Seismic Sam to Ammunition & Reloading thank you"
TommyMN wrote:This site is full of dicks. It's why I like it.
user293

Postby Grgkng on Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:09 pm

Thanks guys! I will definitely get those books and read up on them. I'll head to gunstop when I get back stateside. I live in white bear lake, and would like to load 2-3000 rounds a month or somewhere around there. It's not hard for me to fly through rounds, especially during the summer.

Thanks again!
Tractus Arms is your Master Dealer for Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Guncrafter Industries, Les Baer, as well as Ed Brown 1911's and many more!
Info@TractusArms.com
Grgkng

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:13 am

Ah, geez, I gotta drag my 800 lbs out from under my bridge for a mechanically inept person who wants to buy a Dillon to begin with??

Okay, kid, those two really don't go together, to the extent that you could get yourself seriously hurt. My reccomendation would be to buy the Speer #14 or Hornady #8 manual (both would be better...) and read every last page in those books on how to reload, which is 150 - 200 pages per book. DO NOT buy one damn piece of reloading equipment before you finish reading the manuals!!

Reloading is about achieving consistent mechanical and physical PERFECTION in your reloading technique, so I'm not sure you are really cut out to be a reloader if you really have that much trouble with mechanical things. I'm not trying to put you down, but some people are simply not cut out for reloading. This is something you need to consider very seriously, and either don't reload or wise up on the mechanical stuff.

By way of illustrating what you may be getting yourself into, this is what it looks like when you don't get it right:

Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Grgkng on Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:02 am

I probably made it sound worse than what it is by saying inept, but I'll make sure to read the manuals, thanks.
Info@TractusArms.com
Grgkng

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:12 am

Well, here's the accompanying text on the injury, which was more mechanical ineptness and/or gross stupidity than reloading, but it can get you either way. You will need to understand EVERY little thing the dies are doing to the case, the bullet, and the round before you can reload safely. Plus you need to fully understand the mechanics and construction of the gun(s) you are shooting.

I didn’t take pictures of the shooter out of respect for their privacy.. but his hands/arms were injured pretty badly. He was obviously in tremendous pain as he and his buddies waited quite a while for paramedics. Are paramedics/EMTs supposed to take their sweet time when walking onsite?

Anyhow.. I was told that the shooter(s) often times used a hammer to close the bolt. Feel sorry for the pain and damage the shooter had to endure.. but that’s the potential consequence of improper reloading and firearm use.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby timwarner on Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:09 am

Wasn't that pic from a factory load through a bohica .50bmg upper on an AR-15?
IIRC the firing pin was blasted back into and partially through the buffer tube.
Tim
USPSA club MN07
http://ipsc.krok.us
timwarner

Postby Dick Unger on Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:47 am

I think you should start with single stage press, and reload for bolt action rifle, and stay away from pistol for a while. I did that myself, basically self taught a zillion years ago.

It's kind of like learning to swim, start in shallow water where you can stand up. If you reload, say, 308, you won't be able to double load with powder, A quality gun really won't blow up like a grenade under any reasonable scenario, if you use rifle powder and the correct brass and bullet, cuz that gun is really strong compared to a pistol. It may seem intuitive to load smaller cartridges first, but those are much more complicated.

And, it's easy to compare the finished product with the factory. You'll know if the bolt won't close, or something.

This is just my experience, others on this board have a LOT more technical knowlege and experience. But after you've gotten started is the time to ask the experts. I only know how to save money on a project.

The cheapest way to shoot is to actually hit the target the FIRST time, with just one bullet. Reloading is also like that. :) Go to Gunstop, not Cabellas. They'll size YOU up and get you started. Quickly.
Dick Unger

Postby Dutch on Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:05 am

The URL shows "Super 1050" and I do feel I have to warn you as that machine has it's own learning curve and is way more complicated and touchy than the 550 or 650. Learning the 1050 and learning to reload may not mix well together. Is there a 50GI conversion kit for the 1050?
With the 550 you have the option to run 1 round at the time through all 4 stations if you're not comforable with 4 stations occupied at the same time.
Men may argue forever on what wins their wars, and welter in cons and pros, and seek for the answer at history's doors, but the man with the rifle knows.
Dutch

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:30 am

No conversion kit for Dillon machines and the 50GI. Hornady sells dies, as does Lee, and that's it. But the previous poster makes a VERY good comment about starting out with a 1050 to begin with. That's like trying to learn auto repair on a AA fuel dragster or a Nascar machine. Unless you're an absolute GOD of auto mechanics, you got no chance at all...
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby rugersol on Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:43 am

"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby OldmanFCSA on Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:47 am

THIS is what you need.

AND someone to set it upfor you.

http://camdexloader.com/2100Pistol.aspx
OldmanFCSA

Postby Pinnacle on Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:48 am

The 550 is a good place to start with a progressive machine. Slow enough for you to learn on but scaleable so that it can grow with you.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading