WWB 9mm

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

WWB 9mm

Postby 101CombatVet on Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:31 pm

I have enjoyed shooting and paying for wwb for my .40 but when I purchased my 9mm the first time shooting I was very dissapointed with WWB I found one round that had 1/8 inch crimp on the brass and a notch on the round.. I contacted Winchester and after I took some pics (my records) they sent the ups man to pick it up I am anxiously waiting to hear from them. I also had 2 stovepipes and 2 fte 's at the same visit I am afraid I will find some different target ammo. I love it with my .40 no problems with 1000+ anybody else with these issues or am I the lucky man???
S&W M&P .40, 9c

www.mp-pistol.com

We dont need gun control we need bullet control-Chris Rock
101CombatVet

Re: WWB 9mm

Postby macphisto on Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:38 pm

101CombatVet wrote:I have enjoyed shooting and paying for wwb for my .40 but when I purchased my 9mm the first time shooting I was very dissapointed with WWB I found one round that had 1/8 inch crimp on the brass and a notch on the round.. I contacted Winchester and after I took some pics (my records) they sent the ups man to pick it up I am anxiously waiting to hear from them. I also had 2 stovepipes and 2 fte 's at the same visit I am afraid I will find some different target ammo. I love it with my .40 no problems with 1000+ anybody else with these issues or am I the lucky man???

I don't know about lucky, but I haven't had any problems with WWB 9mm. I had a couple of stovepipes on my first trip the range with a new XD9SC, but I attribute it to a new gun working out its kinks. That was with Remington UMC, by the way.
macphisto

Postby brauchma on Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:49 pm

I just picked up 1000 rounds the other day. I have had luck with the first few boxes I ever bought a while back.
"Owning a gun doesn't make one a gunfighter any more that owning a Stradivarius violin makes one a concert violinist" - Col. Jeff Cooper

I think the gene pool needs more chlorine
brauchma

Postby gunflint on Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:34 pm

Be very,very careful with this discussion. It took me a while to figure this out. Yesterday morning I posted a question concerning WWB ammo. I thought at the time that his was a harmless question and I wanted to get some input. Within 2 hours TCC is in lockdown. I only received a few replies and I plan on making a fairly large purchase of practice ammo in the next few days so I posted a similar question on ShootingSafely.com. Two hours later they were shut down.

For the record I think that WWB is the best ammo in the world and it is all I will buy from now on. :? I have to go now as there are several black Suburbans pulling into the driveway.
The 2nd Amendment is the ONLY amendment in the Bill of Rights that specifies that it shall not be infringed.
gunflint

Postby brauchma on Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:47 pm

gunflint wrote:Be very,very careful with this discussion. It took me a while to figure this out. Yesterday morning I posted a question concerning WWB ammo. I thought at the time that his was a harmless question and I wanted to get some input. Within 2 hours TCC is in lockdown. I only received a few replies and I plan on making a fairly large purchase of practice ammo in the next few days so I posted a similar question on ShootingSafely.com. Two hours later they were shut down.

For the record I think that WWB is the best ammo in the world and it is all I will buy from now on. :? I have to go now as there are several black Suburbans pulling into the driveway.

So it was you! ;) On a serious note... RUN!!! I hear a black helicopter as well!!!!!
"Owning a gun doesn't make one a gunfighter any more that owning a Stradivarius violin makes one a concert violinist" - Col. Jeff Cooper

brauchma

Postby onebohemian on Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:18 am

WWB 9mm is fine for practice. Just take a second to look at each round before you put it into your magazines. Quality control is o.k. but not perfect. I've seen a couple bulged and/or dented cases, etc., which can affect the performance of your gun, but overall, it's a good practice round.

Next time you find a bad round, just dispose of it at the range or some other safe place. It surprises the heck out of me that Winchester sent UPS to pick up the round as I have to believe it simply falls into their allotted % of mistakes, although I don't know what that % is.

By the way, I don't mean to pick on you, but I have to ask whether all the time you've invested in this really was worth it? Don't get me wrong, I love to tinker and fiddle with petty little things too. Keeps me sane when the things that really matter start to pile on. The little stuff creates those distractions we all need. But, you paid .17 for that one round, and Winchester has a lot less invested in it. What are your expectations regarding Winchester's response to you?

Take care,
Mark

"Edited to remove prohibited content."(2009).

"It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it." (In honor of 'Goalie,' 2013).
onebohemian

Postby Srigs on Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:42 am

I have had problems with WWB ammo lately and seams like they have out sourced it to an "un-named off shore vendor".

I use UMC 250 round packs and have never had a problem with them unlike the WWB. 8-)
Srigs,

http://www.sideguardholsters.com
http://www.sideguardholsters.com/blog

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.
Srigs

Postby e5usmc on Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:48 am

brauchma wrote:On a serious note... RUN!!! I hear a black helicopter as well!!!!!

Dude, everyone knows you can't hear the black ones...
e5usmc

Postby ree on Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:49 am

Srigs wrote:I have had problems with WWB ammo lately and seams like they have out sourced it to an "un-named off shore vendor".

What sort of problems specifically?
ree

Postby brauchma on Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:16 am

e5usmc wrote:
brauchma wrote:On a serious note... RUN!!! I hear a black helicopter as well!!!!!

Dude, everyone knows you can't hear the black ones...

tin foil hats an amplify the sound frequency.

brauchma

Postby Srigs on Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:15 am

ree wrote:
Srigs wrote:I have had problems with WWB ammo lately and seams like they have out sourced it to an "un-named off shore vendor".

What sort of problems specifically?

With 9mm FTF with a good primer strike.
With 38 special the primer backing out and binding up my Model 60 (not a good thing)
Srigs,

http://www.sideguardholsters.com
http://www.sideguardholsters.com/blog

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.
Srigs

Postby 101CombatVet on Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:52 pm

onebohemian wrote:WWB 9mm is fine for practice. Just take a second to look at each round before you put it into your magazines. Quality control is o.k. but not perfect. I've seen a couple bulged and/or dented cases, etc., which can affect the performance of your gun, but overall, it's a good practice round.

Next time you find a bad round, just dispose of it at the range or some other safe place. It surprises the heck out of me that Winchester sent UPS to pick up the round as I have to believe it simply falls into their allotted % of mistakes, although I don't know what that % is.

By the way, I don't mean to pick on you, but I have to ask whether all the time you've invested in this really was worth it? Don't get me wrong, I love to tinker and fiddle with petty little things too. Keeps me sane when the things that really matter start to pile on. The little stuff creates those distractions we all need. But, you paid .17 for that one round, and Winchester has a lot less invested in it. What are your expectations regarding Winchester's response to you?

Take care,

I was on vacation and had notihng else to do... I didnt think they would send ups next day.. oh well too late to turn back
S&W M&P .40, 9c

www.mp-pistol.com

We dont need gun control we need bullet control-Chris Rock
101CombatVet

Postby jac714 on Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:58 pm

101CombatVet wrote:
onebohemian wrote:WWB 9mm is fine for practice. Just take a second to look at each round before you put it into your magazines. Quality control is o.k. but not perfect. I've seen a couple bulged and/or dented cases, etc., which can affect the performance of your gun, but overall, it's a good practice round.

Take care,

I was on vacation and had notihng else to do... I didnt think they would send ups next day.. oh well too late to turn back

I have heard of this happening before with other ammo companies. I believe that Winchester sends a voucher for a free box of ammo. They are able to tell what happened through forensic examination of the cartridge and use it as research. It is apparently worth it to them to examine unfired defects that they do the whole UPS pickup and send some interesting gift to the customer.

Works for me.
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."

IFIA MCPPA Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor
jac714

Postby cobb on Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:36 pm

Gee, from what I have seen on other forums and postings, I was the only one that has seen problems with WWB.

Problems with the 9mm is news to me, but I have seen a lot of problems with 45 acp and misfires. What I have seen is a misfire, but with a second and sometimes a third strike the 45 acp WWB will fire. The few problems that I have seen with 40 S&W was a feed issue, which could be debated as to the cause.

I am truly surprized that there are others out there that have had problems with WWB. Everytime I mention the problems that I have seen, there are several that step up and says that they have fired thousand's of WWB and never had a problem.

I hate living in a time warp....... :idea:
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby ttousi on Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:40 pm

That's time "Warped" in your case......... :P

On a serious note, never had any real problems with the 9mmWWB. Had some extraction problems with a PT111, but tested it with other ammo and it came down to an extractor problem which necessitated a return to the factory. WWB and everything else has cycled well since.
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading