Which press to buy?/?

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: Which press to buy?/?

Postby Aceq2jot on Thu May 08, 2008 5:14 pm

So some one tell me How much it runs per round if you reload 45 ?? Seeing as i am adding a 45 to my stable and the price of Ammo is not cheap, so i have to break it down to the wife to get her to let me spend the money :)
Really i am your worst Nightmare, for i walk the night and the cover of darkness belongs to me :D

You cant make a pile of Dog shat smell like a rose a bunch of Roses, so why try ???
Aceq2jot

Postby rucker on Thu May 08, 2008 5:26 pm

Aceq2jot wrote:So some one tell me How much it runs per round if you reload 45 ?? Seeing as i am adding a 45 to my stable and the price of Ammo is not cheap, so i have to break it down to the wife to get her to let me spend the money :)

With current Cabelas prices (which are significantly higher than when I bought stuff last fall) my loads cost $19.28 per 100. That is figuring that you already have the brass.

Also, last time I figured out the costs (may have changed now) it makes absolutely no sense to buy new brass. You can just buy WWB for the same price and remember to pick up after yourself.
rucker

Postby Aceq2jot on Thu May 08, 2008 5:30 pm

rucker wrote:
Aceq2jot wrote:So some one tell me How much it runs per round if you reload 45 ?? Seeing as i am adding a 45 to my stable and the price of Ammo is not cheap, so i have to break it down to the wife to get her to let me spend the money :)

With current Cabelas prices (which are significantly higher than when I bought stuff last fall) my loads cost $19.28 per 100. That is figuring that you already have the brass.

Also, last time I figured out the costs (may have changed now) it makes absolutely no sense to buy new brass. You can just buy WWB for the same price and remember to pick up after yourself.

That is what i had figured as once you have the brass it is significantly cheaper :D

Thanks Rucker :D
Really i am your worst Nightmare, for i walk the night and the cover of darkness belongs to me :D

You cant make a pile of Dog shat smell like a rose a bunch of Roses, so why try ???
Aceq2jot

Postby chunkstyle on Thu May 08, 2008 8:39 pm

To REALLY save the bucks, cast your own bullets. Time was, you could get lead for free, from gas stations, junkyards, and the newspaper (for linotype). those days are gone, but scrap lead is still much cheaper than pre-made bullets.

All you need is a desire to turn one hobby into two. Also, once you have a melter setup, you'll never buy fish line weights or sinkers again. My dad laid trot lines for catfish galore, and cast every single weight himself, melting the lead on a Coleman stove! Ahhh, old school...
"In his library at Simi Valley, dead Reagan waits dreaming"
chunkstyle

Postby 1911fan on Thu May 08, 2008 9:42 pm

Strad, if your interested, I have a RCBS press I might trade your for your holsters you got up for sale.......
1911fan

Postby DeanC on Fri May 09, 2008 7:26 am

1911fan wrote:Strad, if your interested, I have a RCBS press I might trade your for your holsters you got up for sale.......

Do it Strad, and don't look back.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby Rem700 on Fri May 09, 2008 8:36 am

Really depends on your cost and how you purchase components.
Homecast bullets free and primers purchased back when for $12.50K or Store bought HP and primers by the hundred from Gander at $3.25 a hundred :shock:
If I figure my homemade bullets cheap primers and powder from stockpile and used brass I can get down somewhere around $3 a hundred not realistic with todays prices.
If I had to load with todays prices and purchased lead bullets $73 K primers $25K and $20 lb powder my cost would be closer to $11.30 a hundred if my math is somewhat close. Somwhere there is a calculator which you put in your component prices and figure your cost per round. Figure your cost for bullets, cost for primers say $25 K divided by 1000=$.025 each $20 lb for powder 7000gr per pound divided by 5gr per round appx(find your load)=1400rds per pound $20 per pound divided by 1400=$ .014 per round.
rucker wrote:

“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby Stradawhovious on Fri May 09, 2008 10:36 am

DeanC wrote:
1911fan wrote:Strad, if your interested, I have a RCBS press I might trade your for your holsters you got up for sale.......

Do it Strad, and don't look back.

Way ahead of you Dean :D
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby westhope on Fri May 09, 2008 10:52 am

Last year my wife complained when I bought ammo and components to build up a supply expecting the price increases. Whenever I saw good prices on ammo or components I bought it. I should have enough components to load about 20K of my favorite 45ACP loads plus about 5k 9mm factory ammo. I also bought about 20 k of 22LR for me to teach the grandkids to shoot.

This year I show her the current prices and how good an investment it was.

Her thinking, she can buy more shoes, clothes and antiques with all the money I saved.

Net break even, the best I can figure.

If you don't enjoy reloading and use it only as a way to reduce the price of your shooting, I don't know if it really pays off that well. This morning I spent a couple hours cleaning a bunch of range brass I picked-up after the LEO training at FR&PC when I should have been working (being paid). I'm semi-retired and work at home. I probably will end up with 1,000 45 ACP brass and 600 223 brass. It probably would have been cheaper to work that amount of time and buy the brass.

(I was really surprised that about 75 % of the brass I picked up after the LEO qualifications was 45 ACP brass. About 20 % was 40 SW and 5 % was 9mm. I thanked all the LEO's for shooting more 45 ACP. They said they still prefer it over the 40 SW or 9mm. The guys were mainly SWAT guys.)
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby BRIT_in_the_weeds on Fri May 09, 2008 3:30 pm

Bigger budgets=Bigger holes

:twisted:
Far better it is to dare mighty things...than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat
T.Roosevelt 1899

Just me and the designated settee, in the weeds.8-)
Thread-F.U master Brit Pei Ying
1/ICC ;-) .1/ICC II.;-)
BRIT_in_the_weeds

Postby gemoose23 on Sun May 11, 2008 11:11 pm

Stradawhovious wrote:I am within moments of purchasing a new press (First time reloader) and would like opinions. the three that I am looking at are the dillon 550, the rcbs single stage and the lee single stage. I am aware of the differences between the single stage and progressive, and for personal reasons I am leaning towards single stage. Any information would be appreciated, but please, if your statement is such and such a press sucks.... Please tell me why it sucks, not that it just does :)

Thanks!

ETA: if there are any others that I should be aware of (please keep in mind that price is an issue) pleased let me know!

I use a Hornady LnL Progressive press with the Hornady Free Bullet deal (1000 free bullets) it is a good "deal". If you are intrested in checking out the Hornady in person, I would be willing to show you my press if you need. I went from not reloading to now reloading on my Hornady LnL.

Also if no one else has mentioned it too you. Reloading will NOT save you money. Reloading ammo allows you to fire more rounds down range on the same budget. My example is, I would only shoot 100 Rounds of WWB a week, about 30 bucks. But with reloading I am able to shoot 200 rds a week and my wife can shoot with me another 100-150 rds a week also for under the same 30 bucks budget.

Here's a cost calculator you can use. Just punch in the prices from online suppliers and it will give you a good ball park number.
http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp
gemoose23

Postby Einthoven's Triangle on Mon May 12, 2008 8:50 pm

The best way to optimize reloading is get your non reloading shooting buds to keep their brass for you. Even if you do not load for some of it....you can trade it! Buy in large qty. like 5k primers, 8# jugs of powder, and bullets in large qty.

A couple hints on jacketed rifle bullets
check the Nosler web site for deals http://www.nosler.com ......and then their Shooters Shop for seconds.....http://www.shootersproshop.com/
Einthoven's Triangle

Postby JohninMinnesota on Tue May 20, 2008 7:11 am

I just bought an RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit. John at GunStop said it comes with everything necessary to get going, minus the dies and supplies. So I bought those for .45 and .40 and started reading the book last night.

Now, all I need is to find some time... ;)

GunStop is a great place to get stuff. John is a great guy, and very helpful and knowledgeable. And his name is John.
anger burns and fills with hatred - wreaks havoc on the soul - what goes out comes back three fold - end it now
JohninMinnesota

Postby gunnerbmg on Tue May 20, 2008 11:34 am

Hey John, glad to see you are taking the big step.. for me, reloading is a really fun part of the shooting :D. The best thing, as others have said, is that when your ammo is cheaper, you shoot more, so money wise, looking at the total, I suppose I spend more. Right now, my .45's are costing me about 9.00 per 100. That's with lead wadcutters. I bought all the stuff in large quanities and that is where the savings came from, primers come out to 2.4 cents, bullets 6.1 cents, powder 1.5 cents, and the cases I have had (before I got a 45, my buddies and I picked up brass and I bought 500 rds of factory right off so I have that. Enjoy!!! When I have to buy again, things are going to be up a bit more, however, I did see the price of lead is way down on the world market the past few weeks, if that holds, we might......might, see a drop, I sure hope so.
"arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden times" Winston Churchill
gunnerbmg

Postby JohninMinnesota on Tue May 20, 2008 2:22 pm

gunnerbmg wrote:Hey John, glad to see you are taking the big step.. for me, reloading is a really fun part of the shooting :D. The best thing, as others have said, is that when your ammo is cheaper, you shoot more, so money wise, looking at the total, I suppose I spend more. Right now, my .45's are costing me about 9.00 per 100. That's with lead wadcutters. I bought all the stuff in large quanities and that is where the savings came from, primers come out to 2.4 cents, bullets 6.1 cents, powder 1.5 cents, and the cases I have had (before I got a 45, my buddies and I picked up brass and I bought 500 rds of factory right off so I have that. Enjoy!!! When I have to buy again, things are going to be up a bit more, however, I did see the price of lead is way down on the world market the past few weeks, if that holds, we might......might, see a drop, I sure hope so.

Thanks - shooting has become expensive! One reason I like shooting .22's but even that has become more expensive.

Large quantities seems to be the ticket. Group buys would be a great idea as well. Glad everyone is here!
anger burns and fills with hatred - wreaks havoc on the soul - what goes out comes back three fold - end it now
JohninMinnesota

Previous

Return to Ammunition & Reloading