Cleaning dies... Yup, screwed up.

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Cleaning dies... Yup, screwed up.

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:53 am

So the other day I thought it would be a good idea to clean my dies. They just looked dirty and were covered in powder. I had the bright idea to clean it all off with brake cleaner. What ended up happening was that the brake clean turned the powder into a weird plasticky material that molded together and is stuck to everything. It's hard as hell to remove. Any ideas? Yes, I already know it was a dumb idea now so please ommit that from your posts! I just want my dies back to normal.
sgruenhagen44

Re: Cleaning dies... Yup, screwed up.

Postby rugersol on Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:05 am

:shock:

I'd try acetone ... but if yer dies blow up, don't come cryin' to me!!! :?

Maybe keep one of these, handy fer next time?! ... http://www.walmart.com/ip/Innovera-Compressed-Gas-Duster-10oz-Can-2-Pack/14931445
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:09 am

Lol, yes. I have already come to that conclusion. As a mechanic I thought brake clean was great for cleaning all types of metal! Its the universal cleaner! NOT!!
sgruenhagen44

Re: Re: Cleaning dies... Yup, screwed up.

Postby snlit3 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:48 am

sgruenhagen44 wrote:Lol, yes. I have already come to that conclusion. As a mechanic I thought brake clean was great for cleaning all types of metal! Its the universal cleaner! NOT!!

This reminds me when my buddy sprayed brake clean into his headlight lens... :-o

Mechanics, I'll tell you :wink:
snlit3

Postby engnerdan on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:16 am

I think you just discovered the plastic "binder" used to hold the gun power in shape. A massive quantity of brake cleaner or other heavy petroleum solvent might work to wash away the plastic.
Seismic Sam wrote:When it launches, the marketing will hit you in the face like the shrapnal from a methane explosion in a 3 holer outhouse!! :P :P :P
engnerdan

Postby JJ on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:37 am

I've always just let them soak in acetone, and followed up with a brush. If it is for sure a powder build up, then can't go wrong with Hoppe's.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:39 am

engnerdan wrote:I think you just discovered the plastic "binder" used to hold the gun power in shape. A massive quantity of brake cleaner or other heavy petroleum solvent might work to wash away the plastic.

Lol, I tried MORE brake clean already! I think the hoppes is the best idea so far. Yea, two cans of brake clean is enough. And it is for sure powder. It's werid, the powder just fused together. If ya don't believe me try it at home.
sgruenhagen44

Postby EJSG19 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:51 pm

sgruenhagen44 wrote:
engnerdan wrote:I think you just discovered the plastic "binder" used to hold the gun power in shape. A massive quantity of brake cleaner or other heavy petroleum solvent might work to wash away the plastic.

Lol, I tried MORE brake clean already! I think the hoppes is the best idea so far. Yea, two cans of brake clean is enough. And it is for sure powder. It's werid, the powder just fused together. If ya don't believe me try it at home.

I've never had a reason to use anything but WD-40 on my dies. Usually not even that, just a plastic bristle bore brush if I get bullet lube build up or something. I just like the oil for rust prevention. Then again, my press is in a dehumidified area.

Also, I wish I had thought of your avatar first. Jealousy is a bitch.
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Postby Rotary12 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:16 pm

sgruenhagen44 wrote:Lol, yes. I have already come to that conclusion. As a mechanic I thought brake clean was great for cleaning all types of metal! Its the universal cleaner! NOT!!

It's the best clean for MOST anything. I like using it to clean bearings and my AR. It's the best for getting all the gunk out of the chamber.
Rotary12

Liberate the U.S.
Support the Constitution
Remember 19 April 1775
Rotary12

Postby engnerdan on Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:49 am

sgruenhagen44 wrote: Lol, I tried MORE brake clean already! I think the hoppes is the best idea so far. Yea, two cans of brake clean is enough. And it is for sure powder. It's werid, the powder just fused together. If ya don't believe me try it at home.

I know exactly what you are talking about. I did that with a brand new Hornady powder measure. I cleaned it with something like electric motor cleaner (what I had) wiped it all down with paper towel and put it back together. Well it was not clean enough when I tried to dispense powder. So apart it came again and out comes the brake cleaner. That power swells up instantly and then sticks like a mofo to the powder coating. It took a lot of work with a dental pick to get all the gun powder off the parts.
Seismic Sam wrote:When it launches, the marketing will hit you in the face like the shrapnal from a methane explosion in a 3 holer outhouse!! :P :P :P
engnerdan

Postby srtolly on Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:08 am

On the occasion that I clean my dies I use Breakfree CLP. Works for my guns why not the dies.
Semper Fi
srtolly

Postby photogpat on Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:20 am

No plastic "binder" - smokeless propellant is nitrocellulose for single base, NC and Nitroglycerin for double base. Before modern plastics were invented, nitrocellulose was used in things like celluloid films and could be formed into thin sheets as it behaves much like a plastic - only problem was it is obviously highly flammable, so children's toys were out. :lol:

As JJ and others have stated, acetone will dissolve NC from your dies.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Pinnacle on Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:46 am

If you have a plastic like buildup - try WD-40 it should release the stickiness... Than Acetone and coat the dies with a little hornady one shot aerosol for storage.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Cleaning dies

Postby SIGP240 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:29 pm

Try boiling in a pot on the stove. Last but least ..... Model airplane fuel (Nitrobenzene) I have another option but shy from telling you ......heat, but too much may resettle the grain structure in the die and give resultant warp. Also manufacturer may have customer service on web
Proudly launching lead from a Swiss P-240 at a range near you.
SIGP240

Return to Ammunition & Reloading