And from SS's Little Shop of Horrors...

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:18 pm

Totally unique FUBAR. Can't even tell if it's factory loaded or handloaded. I think the real miracle is that it went off at all, and that something worse didn't happen when it did go off.

Obviously, a seating error. My guess is the bullet was a FMJ instead of lead. Note the unusual damage to the rim of the case.

Yep, that case mouth got folded all the way over and pressed flat in seating or firing...

And now the true horror and mystery begins to unfold:

And gets even more unbelievable:

And makes you wonder how a primer this badly canted in the case could have ever fired:

Anybody wants to expound some theories of how this happened, it would make for an interesting discussion.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Re: And from SS's Little Shop of Horrors...

Postby FJ540 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:31 pm

Without knowing how primers are installed at a commercial loading facility, it's hard to say how that happened.

Since the presses I've dealt with (all home owner variety, non-automated) seat the primer off the bottom of the case, having a belled mouth wouldn't impact the alignment for the primer seating - and that makes what happened look factory to me.

But then who's dumb enough to load a round like that into a mag, let alone shoot it? :shock:

I can't think of a reasonable person who'd take that off their press and go "yeah, let's see how this works!"
FJ540

Postby JoeH on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:33 pm

Could the case mouth and primer issues be unrelated? Perhaps the case mouth deformity was a stove pipe? IDK
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby FJ540 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:43 pm

Ever seen a stove pipe that was crushed smooth with the ID of the case? I sure haven't.
FJ540

Postby westberg on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:46 pm

It appears to be a reload to me. I've seen both happen but don't recall it happening on the same case. The case rim can get ripped like this in the sizing die if it's not aligned feeding in, then primed obviously bad, rotated to powder measure station and the powder measure tube flattens it to the inside case wall. I'm guessing it was all done on a progressive press. It can run through all of the stations and still pass a chamber check. For what ever reason the primer didn't seat right, they should have been able to feel it. It's carelessness or wanting to see if it would still fire.
Last edited by westberg on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
westberg

Postby Bulldawg on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:14 pm

I have never seen a factory Federal 9mm case that didn't have a nickle plated primer. Most likely a reload.
Bulldawg

Postby Dutch on Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:22 pm

Looks like a reload where the case had ejection problems on the previous reload and damaged the case mouth and the owner decided to use it again anyways.
Men may argue forever on what wins their wars, and welter in cons and pros, and seek for the answer at history's doors, but the man with the rifle knows.
Dutch

Postby crbutler on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:02 pm

Looks to me like what happens when someone forces a jammed progressive press. Sometimes the primer goes off (done that, learned not to do this anymore), but usually the priming compound pellet breaks and the primer won't fire and doesn't go off.

The case is not lined up with the priming station, it doesn't seat right and damages the case base. The case is then cockeyed and goes to expansion and is smeared or torn, and then it gets a bullet seated that causes folding.

If you use a final crimp die, it may get resized to where it will chamber, but then you usually tear the extractor groove open (like you see here) when you eject the round from the press.

This is why you should inspect every round when you box them, and when you load them in the mag.
crbutler

Postby grousemaster on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:11 pm

You gonna reload this one?
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby ijosef on Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:19 am

grousemaster wrote:You gonna reload this one?

I was going to post the exact same thing! :lol:
ijosef

Postby tullibee on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:44 am

OK, so who is trolling Seismic by #$%ing up casings to this extent and seeding the range with them so he'll find them? ;) ;)

I can maybe see with a progressive how you might just dump a bunch of rounds from the bin into a container, but how can you screw a round up this bad and not notice it when you load the mag?
tullibee

Postby plblark on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:46 am

Everybody has to have a hobby, right tullibee?
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby engnerdan on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:14 am

tullibee wrote:OK, so who is trolling Seismic by #$%ing up casings to this extent and seeding the range with them so he'll find them? ;) ;)

I can maybe see with a progressive how you might just dump a bunch of rounds from the bin into a container, but how can you screw a round up this bad and not notice it when you load the mag?

I now have a reason why I want to join OGC. I have a whole jar of "SeisicSam bait" already waiting.
Seismic Sam wrote:When it launches, the marketing will hit you in the face like the shrapnal from a methane explosion in a 3 holer outhouse!! :P :P :P
engnerdan

Postby photogpat on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:35 am

engnerdan wrote:
tullibee wrote:OK, so who is trolling Seismic by #$%ing up casings to this extent and seeding the range with them so he'll find them? ;) ;)

I now have a reason why I want to join OGC. I have a whole jar of "SeisicSam bait" already waiting.

Just wait until after the first -- I'll have a torch and welding kit in my stocking this year!
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Return to Ammunition & Reloading