Hey, just found a lot of ammo hidden...

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: Hey, just found a lot of ammo hidden...

Postby Evad on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:20 am

Ron Burgundy wrote:Where is Sam on all of this? First he insults my mother and now he is MIA on our noob questions?

I think your mom sat on him when he went for that last case of ammo.
Evad

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:27 am

Ron Burgundy wrote:Yo mamma so fat people jog around her for exercise.

Sam, I'm about a year away from reloading (space constraint in my current house and I have not RTFM). Two questions: 1) the blue presses are the only ones that really work, right? 2) on a more serious note, what role does temperature and humidity play in powder storage? Can I load and store in a garage or do I need to reserve space inside the house?

JO MOMMA is soooo fat, that when she put a quarter in her hip pocket and sat down, she squeezed a booger out of George Washington's nose!!

The powder could care less if it's 10 degrees F in your garage, and probably won't suffer even if it's 95 and humid when you reload. YOU, however, are going to care a lot about reloading in either condition unless your garage is semi-heated, so you're the limiting factor in this situation. First reloading setup I had was a 3' x 5' bench made out of 2x12's and steel Unistrut, and I'm still using it. Lived in a basement level apartment, and the whole shebang fit very nicely in the coat closet in the apartment. So if you have a 4 1/2' x 6' space like a closet, that's enough to work with.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby rugersol on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:44 am

Evad wrote:My goal is to be able to knock out a few hundred rounds in a shot.

... then, if ya can afford it, ya should get a LNL-AP 'er 650! (I have a video around here showin' how to load on a LNL-AP, ala "single-stage" :o )

Evad wrote:I don't yet know if I would want extra turret heads.

... not worth it! ... use locking die-rings!

Evad wrote:I can see a benefit to having a head per caliber...but it depends on how long the adjustments take.

With locking die-rings, ya jest spin 'em out/in! ... replacing the head on any turret other than a Lee, can take a bit more! ... Lee's not bad ... auto-indexing can be nice ... but it requires a certain rhythm! :?
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby rugersol on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:50 am

Seismic Sam wrote:So if you have a 4 1/2' x 6' space like a closet, that's enough to work with.

I was over to a fella's house, he had two, tree 650's mounted on shelves ... no bigger than to mount the press ... against the wall! ... say, maybe 12in square?!

... a guy could build up a decent lookin' cabinet, around it ... to hide it ... could put it right in the livin' room! :?

... Lee made a little bench ... lemme see ...

"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
rugersol

Postby grousemaster on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:51 am

On a more serious note, I was at Fleet Farm a couple days ago and grabbed 4 bricks of .22 lr. , there were about 30 bricks on the shelf at the time. I saw a guy checking out with a new .22, and watched him grab a brick of Thunderbolts and hide it behind the mini mags. I was waiting for my new tires to get installed so had time to kill. I went back over to the ammo after about 20 minutes of shopping around and all the bricks were gone. I watched another gentleman go to the .22, and spot the brick behind the mini mags and say "YEs! Found someone's hidden brick". He walked away happy. The gentleman who hid it finally got done buying his new .22, and went back for the hidden ammo which was gone. He was pissed. He spotted my cart and walked straight to me and got a little to close for comfort. HE said "I don't suppose you could part with a braick of .22". I felt bad for the guy, and did give him one. No please or thank you out of his mouth. Just a sense of entitlement and anger at me that I was buying 2k rounds. (which I'll blow through this week probably).

After I thought about I decided I should have asked him to say please or tell him to pound sand. This ammo famine can bring out the worst in people.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby Synergy on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:23 pm

Hows that saying go?

Tell a guy he can't have something and now he wants it even more.
Synergy

Postby yuppiejr on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:31 pm

That Lee reloading tripod is actually pretty handy, my current setup looks basically identical to that with a powder measure bolted to the top along with a small shelf attached with L-brackets for my scale... way easier than a permanent bench setup if space is an issue. The Lee detachable plate/quick change kit sucks though.. I opted to bolt the press directly to the top of the stand and it's much more stable and unable to shift out of the brackets that are supposed to make quick press changes a snap (as long as you don't mind the works shifting when you torque down...).

In other news... yea, for those who consider worst case scenarios the current state of gun stuff is a pretty good micro-example of what happens when demand is high and resources are scarce... imagine what it's like when people are panicked trying to get food/water before a big storm or during any number of natural disasters. Be prepared and all... If you consume a commodity regularly and don't keep a reserve on hand to deal with availability/price volatility you are going to be at the mercy of the market completely.

Boy scout motto... be prepared... if you're just getting in to shooting consider price and availability of ammo in your purchase decision (likely .22 LR will still be the cheapest option to shoot long term even if availability sucks right now) and only buy what you need when prices are stupidly high. Get your NRA and GOCRA memberships in order (if you want to enjoy the benefits long term you need to get skin in the game now even if it's just a money vs time donation) and consider your firearm purchases in the context of the current market... a bolt action .22, 12 gauge shotgun and centerfire hunting rifle are great utility firearms and will likely remain easy to supply long term.... perhaps wait on that AR/AK or reloading investment until the market returns to sanity (which may be after another presidential election or longer) unless you have a lot of disposable income to burn. Training seems really well priced these days and might be a better place to sink dollars than panic priced AR's, mags and ammo... besides if you can hit what you're shooting at with fewer trigger pulls it's a great short term economic benefit.
yuppiejr

Postby OldmanFCSA on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:48 pm

AFTER you guys are done bashing each other for the entertainment valve we receive, I should note that I rent out the usage of my equipment at my facility. Rates are cheap! Bring your own supplies as mine are getting low. If you don't know what powder, wait, I probably have it in stock.

I may even rent to the TROLL that lives under a bridge, Provided he supplies primers, cases, powder, dies, and projectiles, and doesn't ask any stupid newbie questions for answers he should have gotten IF he had RTFM.
:D :mrgreen: :roll:
OldmanFCSA

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:12 am

OldmanFCSA wrote:AFTER you guys are done bashing each other for the entertainment valve we receive, I should note that I rent out the usage of my equipment at my facility. Rates are cheap! Bring your own supplies as mine are getting low. If you don't know what powder, wait, I probably have it in stock.

I may even rent to the TROLL that lives under a bridge, Provided he supplies primers, cases, powder, dies, and projectiles, and doesn't ask any stupid newbie questions for answers he should have gotten IF he had RTFM.
:D :mrgreen: :roll:

Well, it would be interesting messing around with a 650 or a 1050, but seeing as what I'm doing is processing 40 S&W brass with the Redding G-Rx bulgle buster followed by resize and decap, and processing .223 by resizing and decapping, followed by swaging the primer pocket, I don't think a progressive would help me with the 40's, dunno if you can swage primer pockets quick on .223 or not. About the only stupid n00b question I'd be asking is "How the F*&K do you make this blue thingy work?"
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby rugersol on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:40 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:I'm doing is processing 40 S&W brass with the Redding G-Rx bulgle buster followed by resize and decap

I jest use the EGW "U" die on my Hornady LNL-AP ... no bulge! ... no issues! ... jest as fast as with a normal die! (it replaces yer normal size/decap die)

FWIW ;)

... wait a second! ... shouldn't you otherwise be shootin' 10mm?! :shameonyou:
rugersol

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:00 pm

rugersol wrote:
Seismic Sam wrote:I'm doing is processing 40 S&W brass with the Redding G-Rx bulgle buster followed by resize and decap

I jest use the EGW "U" die on my Hornady LNL-AP ... no bulge! ... no issues! ... jest as fast as with a normal die! (it replaces yer normal size/decap die)

... wait a second! ... shouldn't you otherwise be shootin' 10mm?! :shameonyou:

I don't shoot 40 Short & weak at all, and never will. But as a brass scrounger, I wind up with the stuff, and figure if I debulge it, resize and deprime it, and then get it all shiny with the old lemon juice and boiling water trick, it might be worth more someday if there's an ammo famine....

Hmmmmmm..... :?

EDIT: Looked at the die, and frankly I don't think it equals the Redding G-Rx die in two areas: First, it's plain carbide while the Redding is titanium carbide, and there's a substantial difference in the friction when inserting a case. Secondly, while it may be just fine for 40 bulged brass, it isn't for hot loaded 10mm and especially 357 Sig, where the bulge can be a lot closer to the base and even on the rim sometimes. The bulge from a 357 Sig barrel is in a WAYYY different place than a barrel that was dremeled out by an Austrian troll who might be a distant cousin...
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby gyrfalcon on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:18 pm

All the ammo you want is available, it's just not at the price point you think is fair.

Seismic Sam wrote: But as a brass scrounger, I wind up with the stuff, and figure if I debulge it, resize and deprime it, and then get it all shiny with the old lemon juice and boiling water trick, it might be worth more someday if there's an ammo famine....

Just go to stainless steel already you cheapskate. Sick of hearing about your lemon juice, stuck cases, and black art of cleaning when you could just do it right the first time. It's cleaning brass, not an episode of Julia Child's kitchen. :mrgreen:
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby BlackSabot on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:45 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:Under Jo' Momma, because her butt is SOOOOO BIG!! Seriously, people, I'm getting sick of the ammo threads, because by the time you post them they're completely inaccurate or irrelevant. So knock it off already!! There is an ammo famine on, it's not going away any time soon, and it's every man for himself, and just deal with it already!! You're using up most of the bandwidth around here with useless outdated information, and not giving any n00bs a chance to come in here and ask stoopid reloading questions!! It's been SOOO long since I've had a roasted n00b sammich that I'm starting to waste away to nothing... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Hi I'm new here and I'd like to get into reloading my 22 lr shells. It sure is a bitch rounding up my spent casings, not to mention the pain in the ass of pounding out the dents from the firing pin. UGH! How do you pro's do it???

-BS
BlackSabot

Postby Seismic Sam on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:58 am

BlackSabot wrote:
Seismic Sam wrote:Under Jo' Momma, because her butt is SOOOOO BIG!! Seriously, people, I'm getting sick of the ammo threads, because by the time you post them they're completely inaccurate or irrelevant. So knock it off already!! There is an ammo famine on, it's not going away any time soon, and it's every man for himself, and just deal with it already!! You're using up most of the bandwidth around here with useless outdated information, and not giving any n00bs a chance to come in here and ask stoopid reloading questions!! It's been SOOO long since I've had a roasted n00b sammich that I'm starting to waste away to nothing... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Hi I'm new here and I'd like to get into reloading my 22 lr shells. It sure is a bitch rounding up my spent casings, not to mention the pain in the ass of pounding out the dents from the firing pin. UGH! How do you pro's do it???

-BS

Well, while you DO appear to be a clueless n00b, I can't roast you alive and turn you into a n00b sammich because there is NO EFFEN MANUAL for reloading rimfire ammo, so you can't be guilty of not RTFM!! As such, you would probably be sort of tasteless, like diet gluten free white bread.... BLEAH!!!
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Previous

Return to Ammunition & Reloading