Small pistol primers found... Better hurry!

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Small pistol primers found... Better hurry!

Postby Scratch on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:09 pm

Scheels in Eau Claire Wisconsin just got a shipment in of Winchester small pistol primers. Limit of 1000.

You're welcome.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Re: Small pistol primers found... Better hurry!

Postby BigDog58 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:04 pm

Scratch wrote:Scheels in Eau Claire Wisconsin just got a shipment in of Winchester small pistol primers. Limit of 1000.

You're welcome.

Anyone going over? If so PM me. I need 1000 (Like other Noobs). I'm physically unable to travel that far.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby MaryB on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:50 am

Way to far for me from over by South Dakota :cry:
MaryB

Postby killakallies on Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:17 am

I have about 2,000 Winchester small pistol primers and 2,000 Federal small pistol primers. I would be willing to trade some off for some .224 projectiles.
killakallies

Postby Rem700 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:46 am

With the 1000 limit its hard to justify a 200mile round trip.

What about Ace in Baldwin?
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby maxhunter on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:15 am

BigDog58 wrote:
Scratch wrote:Scheels in Eau Claire Wisconsin just got a shipment in of Winchester small pistol primers. Limit of 1000.

You're welcome.

Anyone going over? If so PM me. I need 1000 (Like other Noobs). I'm physically unable to travel that far.

BigDog58 - sent you a PM.

Ace in Baldwin does not have any primers except for 209's for shotgun and BP.
maxhunter

Postby fabb600 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:38 pm

Scheels in St. Cloud has a ton as well. I called and they said don't even worry about calling to hold them because at 1,000 per customer they will last a while.
fabb600

Postby fabb600 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:39 pm

Cabelas in Rogers had about 10,000 on the shelf when I left at 6pm tonight as well. I was surprised to see them there. And they allow 2,000 per person. Probably gone by now if they didn't have more in back.
fabb600

Postby benny on Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:10 pm

Cabela's sold out today, just called them now to see if they might have any.

Benny
benny

Postby Nalez on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:16 pm

Just want to thank the folks that posted stuff in this thread and another. I made the trip up to Superior, WI today (hey, never been to duluth, so it was worth the trip just for that). They had small rifle primers, and .224 bullets in stock, as well as enough powder to keep a reloader happy for a year.

No .223 ammo, and no .223 die sets though, but at least I was able to pickup some of the hard to find stuff to start my reloading adventures.
Nalez

Postby Hoot on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:20 am

afabbrini wrote:Scheels in St. Cloud has a ton as well. I called and they said don't even worry about calling to hold them because at 1,000 per customer they will last a while.

Thanks for the heads up. I called them this morning in the futile hope of locating some Remington 7 1/2 primers. The fellow who works in the reloading department, who will remain nameless, told me sadly no, but they did have CCI 400 primers which are the same. :roll: I asked him do you mean CCI 450, because I think of Remington 6 1/2 as being like CCI 400? Change of subject. He said we do have small pistol magnum primers and lots of guys load their .223 with them. That was enough of their reloading expertise for me. I thanked him and complimented Scheels for at least having some primers in these difficult times.

Hopefully the freeze will melt by May...

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby BigDog58 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:56 pm

Just got back from the Bloomington Armory Gun Show. At least it wasn't so packed you couldn't move. Crowded but not like Anoka's Nightmare!

I did manage to score some 6 mm 80 gr Sierra BT bullets 100 - $18, 1 lb of H414 $25, 1000 Remington Small Rifle Primers $45 (I would have spent more on gas if I went searching for them) and passed up some H4350 for $28. All with No Tax. One guy had some Winchester Large Pistol Primers for $65-1000, but he still had them when I left. He also had what appeared to be some REALLY OLD Primers but I didn't pay attention to them. All in all, I think it was a fruitful outing for me, even though the wife rushed me thru.
NRA RSO

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Hoot on Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:17 pm

BigDog58 wrote:Just got back from the Bloomington Armory Gun Show. At least it wasn't so packed you couldn't move. Crowded but not like Anoka's Nightmare!

I did manage to score some 6 mm 80 gr Sierra BT bullets 100 - $18, 1 lb of H414 $25, 1000 Remington Small Rifle Primers $45 (I would have spent more on gas if I went searching for them) and passed up some H4350 for $28. All with No Tax. One guy had some Winchester Large Pistol Primers for $65-1000, but he still had them when I left. He also had what appeared to be some REALLY OLD Primers but I didn't pay attention to them. All in all, I think it was a fruitful outing for me, even though the wife rushed me thru.

Drat, I knew there was a show somewhere today. Should have read the newsletter for the local club that I write each month. Image

Did you see any Rem 7 1/2 primers? My predilection with them is due to most of the calibers I'm experimenting with right now, perform the best with them.

Thanks,

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby BigDog58 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:28 pm

Hoot wrote:
BigDog58 wrote:Just got back from the Bloomington Armory Gun Show. At least it wasn't so packed you couldn't move. Crowded but not like Anoka's Nightmare!

Drat, I knew there was a show somewhere today. Should have read the newsletter for the local club that I write each month. Image

Did you see any Rem 7 1/2 primers? My predilection with them is due to most of the calibers I'm experimenting with right now, perform the best with them.

Hoot, I only saw one pack of 7 1/2's and he wanted $45. He was in the front room just to the right as you go in the show. Had I known you wanted some I would have picked up while there and traded them to you. The only Rem's I have are 9 1/2's

Thanks,

Hoot
NRA RSO

BigDog58

Postby Hoot on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:53 pm

BigDog58 wrote:
Hoot wrote:Did you see any Rem 7 1/2 primers? My predilection with them is due to most of the calibers I'm experimenting with right now, perform the best with them.[/b]

Hoot, I only saw one pack of 7 1/2's and he wanted $45. He was in the front room just to the right as you go in the show. Had I known you wanted some I would have picked up while there and traded them to you. The only Rem's I have are 9 1/2's

I appreciate the scouting report. If I suspected that they were still there, I'd drive there tomorrow and buy them. Not that I don't have better things to do, or that I have deep pockets. I just want to get this behind me before the comfortable shooting weather arrives. One less thing on my mind. I feel really dumb for not seeing this coming and getting caught flat footed. I'm usually pretty attuned to what's going on.

The good news is I have two trays of them left to at least get back to load experimenting come spring. The variable in the equation is when will the hiatus end? If the past is any teacher, once retailers realize just how high folks are willing to go, rare are the times that prices go back down to pre-panic levels once the panic passes. I suspect the days of name brand, $25-30.00 bricks are behind us. I'd love to be wrong.

The Remington 7 1/2's have the highest brisant content of any small rifle primers I've tested and both the 450 Bushmaster and 7.62x40WT need it for achieving top performance.

Hoot
Hoot

Return to Ammunition & Reloading