Manual Advice

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Manual Advice

Postby gunflint on Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:57 am

If you had to chose from the following list, which reloading manual would you pick?

1. Speer # 13
2. Speer #14
3. Sierra 5th edition
5. Hogdon 2007
The 2nd Amendment is the ONLY amendment in the Bill of Rights that specifies that it shall not be infringed.
gunflint

Re: Manual Advice

Postby Einthoven's Triangle on Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:52 pm

First choice is not on there, Lyman's 48th.
Next choice is Sierra!
Next choice is not on there, Hornady's newest one!
Einthoven's Triangle

Postby Konaseven on Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:40 pm

Einthoven's Triangle wrote:First choice is not on there, Lyman's 48th.
Next choice is Sierra!
Next choice is not on there, Hornady's newest one!

+1 on Lyman's 48th. The first third of the manual (Articles on reloading) would be worth the price by itself.
Sorry, that doesn't help you pick from your list does it?! :)
Konaseven

Postby gunflint on Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:24 pm

These are the options from my supplier.
The 2nd Amendment is the ONLY amendment in the Bill of Rights that specifies that it shall not be infringed.
gunflint

Postby Einthoven's Triangle on Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:39 am

The Lyman 48 is great manual because it has loading data for a lot of lead bullets that you would not find else where. Your supplier? well find a copy from some place else. It belongs in a every reloaders library. I have to suggest for the noob, The ABC's of Reloading as great book to have at your side.

The problem with reloading manuals especially with rifle data is that some use brass that is not easy to find, ie Speer uses a lot of IMI brass. This not available or hard to find, so that makes the data not as easy to use. Sierra uses a lot of Federal brass in their data work ups. Hornady well they have some with their brass and some in other brands....
Having more then one manual is great way to cross reference data. I would snag all the free manuals you can get, too. Hodgdon has a nice web site for the powders from Win, IMR, and Hodgdon. Ramshot has newer data on their web site which can be downloaded in PDF form, and there is stuff on VV in PDF form, and AA is there too.

gunflint wrote:These are the options from my supplier.
Last edited by Einthoven's Triangle on Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Einthoven's Triangle

Postby cobb on Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:00 am

From your list, the Speer.

If any, I prefer the Hornady.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby JFettig on Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:44 pm

I just picked up the lyman 48th from cabellas. I do like all the different loads it shows. The 20y/o hornady manual I borrowed has loads for different speeds(measured from a diff gun than I shoot but it gives me an idea) which I like to see.

Jon
JFettig

Postby ttousi on Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:12 pm

Just picked up Speer # 13...................time will tell
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby Pinnacle on Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:20 am

JFettig wrote:I just picked up the lyman 48th from cabellas. I do like all the different loads it shows. The 20y/o hornady manual I borrowed has loads for different speeds(measured from a diff gun than I shoot but it gives me an idea) which I like to see.

Jon

I have found that the listed speeds and reality are somewhat different.

I use the books provided by the powder manufacturers - then I cross reference that with other materials - come to a conensus - and reload. I gather data from multiple sources and sort of average it out.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby JFettig on Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:00 pm

Pinnacle wrote:
JFettig wrote:I just picked up the lyman 48th from cabellas. I do like all the different loads it shows. The 20y/o hornady manual I borrowed has loads for different speeds(measured from a diff gun than I shoot but it gives me an idea) which I like to see.

Jon

I have found that the listed speeds and reality are somewhat different.

I use the books provided by the powder manufacturers - then I cross reference that with other materials - come to a conensus - and reload. I gather data from multiple sources and sort of average it out.

I know what comes out are not quite the same, but it gives me an idea of what is going on there, it seems that I add 1gr for every 100fps(according to the manual) from 2700 to 3100 for my 55gr from the gun they tested it on. I bet the 1gr increase increases my speed by 100fps or close to it through my AR.

Jon
JFettig

Postby EJSANDSTROM on Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:49 am

Modern Reloading is #1 in my house. I avoid any bullet/powder mfg books unless I am using their products. No speer bullets = no speer manual.
I kill tincans, milk jugs, and fruit, with out giving it a second thought. This is also how I answer my posts.
EJSANDSTROM

Postby cobb on Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:01 am

Another manual to consider is a Lee. A lot of information that is not steered towards one brand of bullet or powder, plus they are not very expensive.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:44 am

Nosler #5 is my favorite, for the following reasons:

Very comprehensive, like the new Hornady and Sierra #5, BUT the max loads are hotter than either of the other two. My benchmark for this is the .338 Ultramag (although you can see it in most other calibers), and the Nosler #5 loads are faster and also seem to align with what you actually see when you're loading your own rounds, and what other people report as max loads. Hornady has been "lawyered up" since their 2nd Edition, and some of the Sierra data appears watered down too.

If you do get the Sierra #5, get it on the CD, and save a tree. Their Infinity Suite 5 is worth the price of the whole manual all by itself, and you can compare trajectories, velocities, and everything else with practically any bullet on the market.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Return to Ammunition & Reloading