Fleet Farm and reloading

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Fleet Farm and reloading

Postby unit44justin on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:52 pm

Being former employee at the Lakeville Fleet Farm in my teenage years, I still keep in touch with some of the folks that still work there. As I was in earlier today getting some ammo I was talking to an old co-worker that works the sporting goods department. She advised me that Fleet Farm will be carrying quite a selection of reloading supplies in the near future. I thing she said sometime in July they will be carrying equipment as well as primers, powder and other components. She had some brochures for MEC equipment, but I didn't ask what other equipment they were going to plan on offering. She also said that they have been attending some reloading seminars as of late. From what she said, they are getting rid of the exercise equipment to make room and will have two full aisles dedicated to reloading.
unit44justin

Re: Fleet Farm and reloading

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:57 pm

i hope this is true. This beginning to be the norm for a lot of shooters out there. I have a buddy who is picking up his first manual soon. Main reason I switched to revolvers is so I can save every last piece of brass. I try to save every cent I can. As everyone knows shooting is not a cheap activity.
sgruenhagen44

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:05 pm

unit44justin wrote:Being former employee at the Lakeville Fleet Farm in my teenage years, I still keep in touch with some of the folks that still work there. As I was in earlier today getting some ammo I was talking to an old co-worker that works the sporting goods department. She advised me that Fleet Farm will be carrying quite a selection of reloading supplies in the near future. I thing she said sometime in July they will be carrying equipment as well as primers, powder and other components. She had some brochures for MEC equipment, but I didn't ask what other equipment they were going to plan on offering. She also said that they have been attending some reloading seminars as of late. From what she said, they are getting rid of the exercise equipment to make room and will have two full aisles dedicated to reloading.

WOW!! That is huge news!! There would be nothing better than a partial Cabela's sized selection of reloading components at FF prices and location!! Gouger Mountain's selction of reloading stuff is smaller than the good looks I have left....... :( :o :shock: :?
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Tronster on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:14 pm

I'm guessing the floor space used for exercise equipment sales displays would be much more profitable with reloading isles. I almost never see people looking at the rest of the sporting goods area. They are always around the guns, ammo, shooting accessories and milsurp stuff.
Tronster

Postby 870TC on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:27 pm

Can confirm, Fleet Employees were getting training at the Mills Shooting center a couple weeks ago. Saw metallic reloading gear set up, and training in progress. They were also on the range shooting a variety of things the stores sell.
Last edited by 870TC on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
870TC

Postby Synergy on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:30 pm

Yeah :D Now we can have two more aisle of empty shelves to look at. :geek:

Seriously though, that's great news.
Synergy

Postby unit44justin on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:48 pm

Synergy wrote:Yeah :D Now we can have two more aisle of empty shelves to look at. :geek:

Seriously though, that's great news.

Lol that was kind of what I thought when she told me, but I am hoping stuff the panic buying starts to subside bu then.
unit44justin

Postby Hmac on Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:00 pm

The Pro Shop at the Mills Shooting Center in Baxter has a pretty substantial section devoted entirely to reloading equipment and supplies.
Hmac

Postby FJ540 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:02 pm

Their powder selection is a bit lacking, and they don't have a big selection of different lines like a traditional gun shop would, but it's a very welcome change to their format.

*based on the range in brainerd.
FJ540

Postby Evad on Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:50 pm

Good news to me. I wondered why they didn't have some basic gear before.
Evad

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:22 am

Evad wrote:Good news to me. I wondered why they didn't have some basic gear before.

Probably because they didn't want to be like Gouger Mountain, who has EXACTLY that much stuff, and an inventory that size is as useful as teats on a boar!!
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Evad on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:56 am

Seismic Sam wrote:
Evad wrote:Good news to me. I wondered why they didn't have some basic gear before.

Probably because they didn't want to be like Gouger Mountain, who has EXACTLY that much stuff, and an inventory that size is as useful as teats on a boar!!

Hard to tell, but I think you are agreeing with me.
Evad

Postby Synergy on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:09 am

I just hope they plan on stocking (at least what they can get) the whole line of products for a given manufacturer. I hate it when a store carries a product line but only has the popular parts for sale in the store and the rest is special order only. I miss the old days where you could go to whatever store and see the entire product line properly displayed with a REAL salesman who REALLY knew the product.
Synergy

Postby yuppiejr on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:31 pm

Synergy wrote:I just hope they plan on stocking (at least what they can get) the whole line of products for a given manufacturer. I hate it when a store carries a product line but only has the popular parts for sale in the store and the rest is special order only. I miss the old days where you could go to whatever store and see the entire product line properly displayed with a REAL salesman who REALLY knew the product.

I get what you are saying but doubt it's realistic particularly right out of the gate, I'd rather see them sell a narrower line of products with enough movement to justify the shelf space in the long run than stock an exhaustive catalog of products. There are specialty reloading shops locally to serve the more discerning/boutique buyer already (Gunstop, Ammocraft, Wolf's Den, etc..) - seeing large format retailer like Fleet Farm introduce metallic cartridge reloading supplies at reasonable prices is a huge win for reloaders even if they only carry a small assortment of the most popular components.
yuppiejr

Postby grousemaster on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:46 pm

I was told the same by an employee a month ago. Gonna carry a full line of RCBS stuff....
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading