Seeing inconsistent powder weight with TiteGroup

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Seeing inconsistent powder weight with TiteGroup

Postby fabb600 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:24 pm

We are trying TiteGroup for 9mm loads for the first time and having very inconsistent powder weights. We are using a Dillon XL 650 and have never had this issue using Power Pistol or Varget powders.

The TiteGroup powder is much finer than the Power Pistol for sure. Is there a trick to loading with TiteGroup and getting consistent loads?
fabb600

Re: Seeing inconsistent powder weight with TiteGroup

Postby westhope on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:28 pm

I just loaded 2500 rounds of 45 ACP with Titegroup the last couple weeks. I never changed the powder measure once after the initial setting. I assume you are using a Dillon powder measure. I'm loading on a 650 too. I cannot remember every seeing any varition of the powder measure. I check a few cases every time I fill the primer tube.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby cobb on Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:38 am

fabb600 wrote:.... having very inconsistent powder weights.

Define inconsistent.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby rugersol on Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:43 am

I've loaded 10's of thousands of rounds with Titegroup ... never had any such issues!

I'd guess it's either static?! ... 'er yer scale?! ... what's "inconsistent"?! ... on a .01g electric scale, ya can expect up to a 0.3gr swing, fer no good reason!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby JFettig on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:45 am

Haven't had any issues either, works awesome in my hornady LNL measure with the pistol meter.
JFettig

Postby westhope on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:56 am

I ALWAYS use a beam scale for powder measurements. I have an electronic scale but have found I cannot trust it for powder measurements. That was discussed before.

Again, I have loaded Titegroup for a couple years for 45 ACP on a Dillon 650 (with the Dillon powder measure). I check the powder weight every time I fill the primer tube (100 rounds). I cannot ever remember changing the charge bar measurement after starting loading. I load at least 1,000 rounds at a time.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby Seismic Sam on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:41 am

I smell either a cheap electronic scale or the cheap beer I was drinking last night!!! :P Whatever it is, you better fully sort out that issue and make sure none of the ammo loaded with Titegroup gets shot until you know EXACTLY what happened. Last KABOOM we had in here totally destroyed a Limited Glock, and I think it was too much Titegroup that did it!!
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby fabb600 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:53 am

After running about 25 more rounds worth of powder through all was fine. Not sure what the issue was at first. The powder measurements were very consistent after that. We completed 100 rounds and will chrono them today - maybe in my buddies Glock though just to be safe ..haha.
fabb600

Postby ScatterGun4015 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:45 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:I smell either a cheap electronic scale or the cheap beer I was drinking last night!!! :P Whatever it is, you better fully sort out that issue and make sure none of the ammo loaded with Titegroup gets shot until you know EXACTLY what happened. Last KABOOM we had in here totally destroyed a Limited Glock, and I think it was too much Titegroup that did it!!

Im pretty sure it was a double charge (short stroke on the LNL)
Stradawhovious wrote:
So rather than just being chased by a zombie, you are now being chased by one in that's engulfed in flames? No thanks.

BOOM HEADSHOT!!!!!!!
ScatterGun4015

Postby fabb600 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:25 pm

For these 115gr loads, we used 4.6 grains of Tightgroup which provided an average of approx 1280 fps from my CZ75b. Blazer brass and S&B were approx 1120 fps.

With 115gr FMJ, what velocity do people typically use for shooting USPSA type events - aside from the minimum power factor requirement?
fabb600

Postby rugersol on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:01 am

fabb600 wrote:With 115gr FMJ, what velocity do people typically use for shooting USPSA type events - aside from the minimum power factor requirement?

So long as the gun still cycles, there'd be no reason not to get as close as comfortable, to minor pf!

I find it hard to believe ya hit 1,280fps with 4.6gr?! ... ya sure ya don't mean 1,180fps?! Either way, I'm guessin' yer cases ain't gonna resize, too well?! :?
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby engnerdan on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:05 am

fabb600 wrote:For these 115gr loads, we used 4.6 grains of Tightgroup which provided an average of approx 1280 fps from my CZ75b. Blazer brass and S&B were approx 1120 fps.

With 115gr FMJ, what velocity do people typically use for shooting USPSA type events - aside from the minimum power factor requirement?

Find the load that makes power factor with a little wiggle room so you do not fall short. Then work up from there to the load that shoots most accurately.

For instance I use a 147gr 9mm bullet which means I need a velocity of at least 851 fps. But the load that works best for me is about 930 fps so somewhere around 137 power factor.
Seismic Sam wrote:When it launches, the marketing will hit you in the face like the shrapnal from a methane explosion in a 3 holer outhouse!! :P :P :P
engnerdan

Postby fabb600 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:23 pm

I'm positive about the 1280fps. It's CZ power...

I'm going to tone it down as you guys suggest. Once my 115gr bullets are used up I do plan to move to a heavier grain. But it's gonna be a little while.
fabb600

Postby mmcnx2 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:41 pm

You only need about 1090fps with those 115 bullets so you can lighten them up a bit. Why go any faster/harder than you need to for competition as long as the gun cycles good.
mmcnx2

Postby XD-GRIF on Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:50 am

fabb600 wrote:For these 115gr loads, we used 4.6 grains of Tightgroup which provided an average of approx 1280 fps from my CZ75b. Blazer brass and S&B were approx 1120 fps.

I have been loading my 9mm loads for production division at 4 grains of Tightgroup with Berry's 115gr for years now. Thay are comming out a around 1150fps out of my 4 inch XD9
Oakdale USPSA Match Co-Director
XD-GRIF

Return to Ammunition & Reloading