Ammo shortage, now reloading supply shortage!

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Ammo shortage, now reloading supply shortage!

Postby Nalez on Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:54 pm

This afternoon I headed off to Cabelas to get some powder. As normal, I was not expecting to find any projectiles or primers; but another shelf was deserted as well; the powder shelf. In the shelf where 3lbs of powder - 3 containers of Hodgdon LEVERevolution. Every time I have gone in they have had some selection of powder; but today none could be found. Given that in the past I have seen 20-40 containers of powder of various types I am guessing they have not gotten anything from their suppliers in quite some time.
Nalez

Re: Ammo shortage, now reloading supply shortage!

Postby BigBlue on Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:04 pm

The powder shelves at the Rogers Cabelas have been thinning out a lot in the past 3+ weeks. Like you say, they must not be getting in anything lately. Pretty sad.

BB
BigBlue

Postby fabb600 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:18 pm

I've seen them sell out and then restock shelves of TiteGroup powder several times over the past couple months. Kind of like ammo - you just have to be there at the right time to get what you need.
fabb600

Postby Tronster on Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:32 pm

Did the same boxes of ammo and same jars of powder just sit on the shelves for weeks giving the appearance that supplies were constantly flowing into the stores until the panic buying started?
Or is the reality that the stores still get the same ammo quantities they did before but it disappears so fast it looks like a shortage?
Tronster

Postby BigDog58 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:32 am

Friday, the Cabelas in Owantanna only had 50 Bmg powder and 2 pounds of IMR-800X and Zero primers. I did stumble onto one box of Berrys .410 SWC that I needed. It was the only projectiles I could use that they had.

They did have a rather large supply of .556 Nato, .223, .308 and .40 S&W ammo on hand but most was expensive. The .308 was PMC for $17.99 a box which seemed the best buy.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby rtwills on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:00 am

I was just at Sheels in St. Cloud. They have any powder you need. 2 jug limit of each kind. I picked up 2- 335,varget and 4895. but nothing in stock bigger than 1# jugs
What if the Hokey Pokey really isn't what it's all about???
rtwills

Postby Nalez on Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:14 am

rtwills wrote:I was just at Sheels in St. Cloud. They have any powder you need. 2 jug limit of each kind. I picked up 2- 335,varget and 4895. but nothing in stock bigger than 1# jugs

I thought about making the drive up there, thanks for the heads up
Nalez

Postby tator2k on Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:36 pm

rtwills wrote:I was just at Sheels in St. Cloud. They have any powder you need. 2 jug limit of each kind. I picked up 2- 335,varget and 4895. but nothing in stock bigger than 1# jugs

I was just there yesterday and when asked how many? I said 5 lbs H110 and just 'ok' and gave it to me. No questions.

Matter of a fact, H110 was stickered on the bottle at $5 LESS than the shelf price!
tator2k

Postby rtwills on Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:26 pm

tator2k wrote:

I was just there yesterday and when asked how many? I said 5 lbs H110 and just 'ok' and gave it to me. No questions.

Matter of a fact, H110 was stickered on the bottle at $5 LESS than the shelf price!

Nice!!! they seem to be lightening up a bit lately. A good sign finally :shock:
What if the Hokey Pokey really isn't what it's all about???
rtwills

Postby JJ on Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:13 pm

Start looking outside the metro, and you will find stock on the shelves. Also look to shop on weekdays, as the stores get over run pretty quick on Saturday mornings.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Nalez on Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:49 pm

rtwills wrote:
tator2k wrote:

Nice!!! they seem to be lightening up a bit lately. A good sign finally :shock:

Well, I wish that was the case; but I did not have the same experience.
I asked if they had H335; nope. H322; nope. Vagerant; nope. RL10X; nope. Did have BL(C)2 and RL15.

I sure with that what they have sitting out on the shelf accurately reflected what they have in back. It sure would be helpful.
Nalez

Postby tator2k on Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:31 pm

I was also looking for 4831 (no), 4895 (no), 296 (no) and 231 (no)
tator2k

Postby BigDog58 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:48 pm

I was at the Scheels in Mankato Friday and did manage to get two pounds of IMR-700X, and tried to get Power Pistol but they were out. I did suggest to the salesman that they should take the bottles off the shelf if it's out of stock, and he said he would pass that suggestion on to his manager. It would help lessen questions about stock. They have thousands of Large Rifle Magnum Primers at nearly $50-1000. Nothing else but shotgun primers. They did, have some bags of brass and a very small amount of bullets (reloading) in a few calibers.
We then journeyed over to Cabelas in Owantonna, and it was dismall, at best. I did find one box of Berry's .410 SWC that I needed for loading a buddy some range ammo (the only box of .41 in the store and found it accidentally). They also had one box of Berry's .452 230 gr and like a dummy, I left it on the shelf (for someone that REALLY needed it..lol). The powder- primer area was nearly bare. They had two bottles of IMR-800X and a few 50 BMG powder, and not a single primer. It looked like a wheat field after locusts had gone through. They did have quite a bit of .308 PMC ammo, and .556 Nato, .223 which surprised me. As usual, Zero .22 ammo
NRA RSO

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby BigDog58 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:53 pm

tator2k wrote:I was also looking for 4831 (no), 4895 (no), 296 (no) and 231 (no)

If you are in dire need of H-4895 (and have an empty bottle) I can let you have a pound. I found an 8lb bottle from a guy getting out of loading rifle loads. I'm in Edina and if it will help, PM me and come by and I'll pour you a pound into your bottle. I don't have any empty bottles ( I learned I should always keep a couple on hand for instances like this), but if you bring one, we can relabel it.
NRA RSO

BigDog58

Postby Nalez on Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:21 am

BigDog58 wrote:I did suggest to the salesman that they should take the bottles off the shelf if it's out of stock, and he said he would pass that suggestion on to his manager. It would help lessen questions about stock.

I did make the same comment in writing to the store; we will see if it helps.

It seems odd to me that a store would have a display of products that are OOS and not backorderable; but then again I am not a retail store owner.
Nalez

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading